Another Tragic Day in VA

Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another Tragic Day in VA

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/F...2142009/514315

Woman dies in hunting accident

Woman killed while hunting in King George

Date published: 12/14/2009
A woman in a hunting party in the Caledon area of King George County was killed Saturday in an incident that is still under investigation.
Julia Dixon, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, said the unidentified woman was shot about 10 a.m.
She was flown to Mary Washington Hospital, where she later died.
Authorities are not releasing her age or address or the name of the person who shot her.
The shooter had fired at a deer and hit it, Dixon said. One pellet of the buckshot apparently hit the woman.
The woman and the shooter were in a hunting party of 20.
Dixon said one safety guideline for deer hunters is to identify the target and what is beyond it.
"Clearly, that safety guide-line was not followed," she said.
The shooting remains under investigation.

--Pamela Gould

My heart goes out to all those involved in this tragic accident. This happened within 2 miles of my house so it hits home even harder.

Folks there are only a few weeks left in season, please put saftey first so that we do not have to read about anymore unfortunate accidents like this. God Bless and be safe.

Last edited by eng40sqd; 12-14-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Man I hate that, same thing happened here a little more than a year ago.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Tragic

That's terrible to hear. I always get a little nervous when deer hunting in big groups. Especially when we're all sitting on the ground.

I try to be super precautious and I guess I'm ignorant to assume that everyone is trying to be as careful as possible. My heart goes out to her family and friends.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

the woman killed was my wifes best friend in highschool. the family is devistated
Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

HOyt speed pm me, I just found out who it was myself, I went to school with her brother and hunted with him a few times.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Spike

1. Treat every gun as loaded.
2. Always engage your primary safety.
3. Never cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
4. Know what your target is, and what is beyond your target.

these 4 simple rules can eliminate these accidents.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by trpr349
1. Treat every gun as loaded.
2. Always engage your primary safety.
3. Never cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
4. Know what your target is, and what is beyond your target.

these 4 simple rules can eliminate these accidents.

I fully support and preach these all the time, however after speaking those close to the incident this seems to be a pure accident.

She was standing beside the parked trucks and was struck with a single pellet to her head. There were no other pellets found in the area in which she was standing due to the shot being fired in another direction. This pellet ricochet off of an object and ended up hitting her. Not a case of not knowing what was beyond your target from what I have been told. Ths shot was fired in another direction. Just a freak accident.

My thoughts and prayors are with all involved. I ask that everyone take a second out of their day and send some thoughts and prayors as well for all those affected.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I too was with a group many years ago when one 000 got past the deer and found my buddies leg. Went in the inside of his thigh just below the really important stuff. Could have easily killed him. Really changes things when something like that happens.

So sorry for the family at this time of the year too....
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

OMG... That is so tragic, it's beyond words! Thoughts and prayers go out to the lady's family...

Stuff like this always makes me cringe if I'm out hunting, and I see a big crowd (i.e. public land WMA's). I gave up the crazyness of the WMA's and go way out, deep, off the beaten path, in the George Washington Nat'l Forest.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I truly believe that you can never prevent an accident, thats why its called an accident, otherwise its intentional, true this never should have happened. But tragedies happen everyday to good people. you could be the safest person in the world and make one split second decision, unfortunately that mistake took a life, his fiancees life. accidents happen, i just hope that one day he will be forgiven. The pain he will endure from this is far greater than any punishment by law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.