Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Bucks chasing does in Va.!!!!! >

Bucks chasing does in Va.!!!!!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Bucks chasing does in Va.!!!!!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry Dave, ever since they changed the format and I do not get a pop up telling me I have messages I do think about chekcing them that often. I will give you a call this afternoon or tomorrow, or you can call me tomorrow I will be free during the day.

By the way the rut sucks this year. They keep turning on and off around here, like a light switch. I have not seen a crappy rut like this in years.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

i agree w/ you about the rut. been to several counties so far around NOVA and have not seen the chasing or even nudging that i have seen in years past. This weather forecast sucks. I had planned on taking wed-friday off to hunt.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

You guys got that right. I can't remember a more frustrating Rut here in VA. I actually saw a buck breeding a doe on Oct. 29 and then my father-in-law took a nice buck on Halloween. That buck was bedded down with a doe and jumped up when I walked past. He went the wrong direction. Since then not much at all. I am guessing that maybe things will heat up the week of the 2oth if the weather cooperates. So much for the rest of this week with the rain.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Supposedly it is 100% Wednesday and Thursday and 60% chance Friday. Then Saturday it isn't supposed to rain after lunch.

The deer should be raring to go after three to four days of rain.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
The deer should be raring to go after three to four days of rain.
Or when 5,000 hounds are running through the woods
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Saw a bunch of chasing in Fairfax first week of November. No activity at all in Central Virginia(Fluvanna). Whacked a nice 8 pt with the string rifle Wednesday November 4th in Fairfax. Hunting season is over after the first week of dogs being in the woods that is unless you've got an urban archery spot. Good luck guys and gals.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

va5326--i talked to my friend Buck last thurs(or friday) and he said that Morlen was having its worst year in many as far as quantity and quaility. i think he said that the total for archery and muzzleader was maybee 8 deer. this is from at least 35 members hunting for the year. i think he said that a small 7 pointer was the biggest buck taken. maybee it picked up for them on saturday w/ the dogs.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

I saw Buck but didn't have a chance to talk to him. A buddy of mine shot a nice 8 pt out of the Gold Mine on Saturday of the ML opener. Surpringly enough most of the guys have been passing on the slicks and small boys. Nothing else of any size though. The deer have definitely diminished as a result of overhunting. I've had better luck just hunting my urban areas in NOVA. Oh well. The coyotes are now in the Fork Union area as well. Not sure if they are having an affect or not.

Last edited by VA5326; 11-16-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bow hunted in Rockbridge county last Wed thru Sat while the coast was getting pounded with wind and rain, the weather there was just breezy with a slight drizzle on Wed and Thur. Friday and Saturday was perfect. Saw plenty of deer, but not what I was looking for. Found several fresh scrapes and saw some nervous acting does but nothing chasing them. Hunted near a turnip food plot that had 31 deer in it at one point. Two largest bucks were 2 6 points. They wanted nothing to do with the does and acted like they were best buddies. No signs of aggression. Most aggressive deer in the plot were 2 spikes sparring...then they'd lick each others face as if to apologize. As with much of this group, I don't know what to think of this rut.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted in Pittsylvania county this past Wednesday-Saturday. Weather stunk but saw lots of deer. Tons of yearlings and a 2 1/2 yo 6 that needed another year or two. No rutting action at all to speak of. Saw young bucks around multiple does without a care in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.