Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Quantico Hunting 2009 >

Quantico Hunting 2009

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico Hunting 2009

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I think i need more know how. Who schooled you on this stuff, so I can be schooled!

Originally Posted by Grizzl
I'm sure he patterned it. He's a longtime Quantico hunter.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HoytSpeed
I think i need more know how. Who schooled you on this stuff, so I can be schooled!
Many Years of hunting with my good friends...still hunting w/shotgun..then bow. "We've" walked almost every foot of Quantico..the Rod & Gun Club at Lunga are a bunch of older hunters who share info..then there are those guys who "hunt" year round..scout the off season until the ticks come out.

Best thing is once you've found a quality spot..its typical it will continue to produce unless something drastic happens like 16G. I took my 2nd best buck in 16G..then the tornado hit it..then they logged it barron..in 5 years that area will be GREAT again..but not now..

You just have to plug in the variables
1) Access / acreage..how accessable is area
2) Cover/Thick refuge type stuff, cutoffs
3) How often the area is open (the 8's, 11's are open only 1 or 2 times..mostly VIP hunting) so the deer get less pressure

3 is a kicker..1 and 2 are a must. They are easy to find...then you gotta outsmart them with tactics, gear and persistance.

Once you find 1 & 2...in one area..find then in EACH area so you can ber versatile and roll with the closings. After a while experience lets you FEEL your way just walking through the woods reading game trains.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

I'm sure he patterned it. He's a longtime Quantico hunter.
Just got the details. I was wrong....My friend emailed me the low down...it was pure luck...he didn't know it was in the area and was hunting with a couple of friends. Shot it in the evening. No disernable signs of a big buck...

My guess it was traveling/ruttin. He just happened to be in the right place right time

Drives ya crazy but more times than not..thats what happens during late November Gun Season..Lots of hunters moving the animals...and the main rut hits

Soooooo....get out there and sit and watch!!! You might be next!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I would have bought a lottery ticket that night!

Just got the details. I was wrong....My friend emailed me the low down...it was pure luck...he didn't know it was in the area and was hunting with a couple of friends. Shot it in the evening. No disernable signs of a big buck...

My guess it was traveling/ruttin. He just happened to be in the right place right time

Drives ya crazy but more times than not..thats what happens during late November Gun Season..Lots of hunters moving the animals...and the main rut hits

Soooooo....get out there and sit and watch!!! You might be next!