HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Virginia Black Bears..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/306702-virginia-black-bears.html)

mackesr 10-13-2009 09:11 AM

Virginia Black Bears.....

Over the past several years we have been seeing more and more bear sign out in the piedmont section of Va. It used to be a big deal whenever we ran across some bear sign, but now were are pretty much used to it. I had a bear decimate a six pointer that I xbow killed last saturday and pretty much ruined most of the meat. A good friend of mine was hunting in Orange Co. yesterday morning and shot a nice 220lbs. Bear with his Tenpoint Titan TL4. He actually shot three arrows at the bear exactly one week earlier. He shot over its back at 35 yards the first shot, the second shot deflected off a branch and landed at the bears feet and the third shot was very high and only took out some hair. A week later at the same time and location the bear came back through and this time my friend shot it at twenty yards. It only ran sixty yards and piled up right next to the logging road. He was shooting the ten point carbon arrows with the 100gr. Spitfires. The arrow never came out the other side and broke off inside the bear. Thankfully there was no tracking to be done since the bear did not go far. When gutting it I was amazed how tough the hide was. I have not read much on bear hunting with archery equipment and was wondering what bear hunters usually use for broadheads. Any input would be appreciated. I hope to have a picture or two to provide soon. Bud-

rem700man 10-16-2009 07:17 PM

I'll be chasin em around in the morning with my trusty old hoyt bow and muzzy 100 gr 3 blade broadheads. I took a buddy to one of my spots wed. night and he shot a doe with the Rage 3 blade broadheads,,,left a hole in her the size of my fist(entry hole). I might have to re-sight my bow with these rage broadheads and try them for bear.

boilermaker85 10-17-2009 03:51 AM

sniper 2 blades 6 years in a row! always pass thru bears!

Bigg~BirddVA 10-17-2009 04:30 AM

My friend and I both got bears last week. Both got a pass through with Rocket Slammerheads. Both bears went less than 30 yds. His was a slower Excalibur xbow at 5 yds and mine a Stryker at 38 yds. I think this was the most blood I've ever seen on an arrowed animal.
His shot when he dressed it out the arrow actually went through the heart. My arrow went off the hill side and I couldn't find it. 2 for 2 and dropping within sight of the point of the hit is about all you can ask for.

rem700man 10-18-2009 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg~BirddVA (Post 3475666)
My friend and I both got bears last week. Both got a pass through with Rocket Slammerheads. Both bears went less than 30 yds. His was a slower Excalibur xbow at 5 yds and mine a Stryker at 38 yds. I think this was the most blood I've ever seen on an arrowed animal.
His shot when he dressed it out the arrow actually went through the heart. My arrow went off the hill side and I couldn't find it. 2 for 2 and dropping within sight of the point of the hit is about all you can ask for.

Congratulations to you and your friend on the bears! Ya got any pics? and or suggestions for a fellow hunter on how to fill a tag? I hunted (scouted) the panhandle rd. section of the GWNF yesterday and im going back this morning to hang a stand where i hope to intersect a bear,,,but other than a not so fresh pile of bear poop is the only sign that im basing my stand location for now. But i figure if all else fails the deer sign was amazing and once again,,,nobody was there hunting,,,i really cant figure why this spot is overlooked year after year

Bigg~BirddVA 10-18-2009 03:55 AM

I used the peanut butter attractant by Buck Bomb. They sell it under their hog scent section. The story and pics are here. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/3472970-post11.html

Don't spray it from where you're hunting or you'll have the bear in your lap like I did.

Where I was at had a ton of bear scat. And freshly used trails. I set up on a power line where I had seen bears before. I would look for sign, fresh and a good amount, and go from there. I'm not an expert on them and this was my first one and my friends as well. I think location and quantity of bears in the area is more of a factor than anything.