Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Opening Day >

Virginia Opening Day

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Opening Day

Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a doe at 0725, saw 4 others. Good day for me. Second time I have tagged out in as many openers from this stand. May be going out tonight, not sure.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I did not see anything on Sat. morning except a medium sized coon. I changed to a different stand for the evening hunt and had a doe and six pointer come out of the hardwoods. I shot the six pointer and when the deer wheeled around to go back the way they had come, I noticed another buck was in the rear and was a four pointer. I waited a half hour then went looking for my arrow but could not find it. Saw a little blood and then quite a bit, but after 70 yards it tickled down to nothing. I came back early the next morning with a friend and trailed it to about 300 yards from where I shot it. Something found the buck before I did and ate one whole hind quarter and half the tendorloin on one side and half the hind quarter on the other side. That was about fifty pounds of raw venison in one sitting. Whatever ate that deer ate the hide and all. There was no hair pulled out at all and not a lot of sign to indicate dogs. Might have been a bear, not sure. The arrow did not come out as it angled up into the body cavity and the other half had broken off. Some tough tracking ony to find half a buck!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mackesr
I did not see anything on Sat. morning except a medium sized coon. I changed to a different stand for the evening hunt and had a doe and six pointer come out of the hardwoods. I shot the six pointer and when the deer wheeled around to go back the way they had come, I noticed another buck was in the rear and was a four pointer. I waited a half hour then went looking for my arrow but could not find it. Saw a little blood and then quite a bit, but after 70 yards it tickled down to nothing. I came back early the next morning with a friend and trailed it to about 300 yards from where I shot it. Something found the buck before I did and ate one whole hind quarter and half the tendorloin on one side and half the hind quarter on the other side. That was about fifty pounds of raw venison in one sitting. Whatever ate that deer ate the hide and all. There was no hair pulled out at all and not a lot of sign to indicate dogs. Might have been a bear, not sure. The arrow did not come out as it angled up into the body cavity and the other half had broken off. Some tough tracking ony to find half a buck!!!

I would like to be the first to say way to go on the follow though and tracking. I hear and read to many stories of guys who dont follow through if there is no blood at first or as soon as it trickles out. It is nice to see those of us out there that respect the animal enough to follow through with your inital actions!!

Sorry to hear about loosing half the deer though, I imagine that stinks. I have lost parts of ones over the years to this or that but never as much as you have descirbed.

Congrats on the harvest though!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Shot a doe in the morning and a doe in the evening on two different farms. Saw 15 does total between the two places, no bucks. Pictures are on the team 16 thread in the bowhunting forum contest.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Spike

Default VA Opening Day

I probably saw 10 deer or so between 5 and dusk. I had a nice 8 point walk right by my stand about an hour after I got there. I pulled back on him, shaking so bad with excitement, that I missed him. Shot right over his back.

I'm pretty new to bow hunting and that's only the second deer that I've had the chance to pull back on. I'm glad I missed him clean though, rather than make a bad shot.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Notredame17, how is the access to that area is there off 610 or do you stay on base.

Eng40sqd, That was my beater a 87 chevy nova that still get 29 mpg and yes i was out scouting a small track that we just got permission to hunt. My kids and I went out there for youth day and the acorns were falling then but not as bad as it was last year. My son could not get a shoot at the does that came in and my daughter really hates squirrels now, but we had fun. I will be out there this friday for evening hunt with linda and then Jeremy saturday morning. We should get a doe.I talked with the land owmer about a key to that chain but he didnt seem the pressed about said he would talk to the farmer. Thats a long wlk back to the back field but i dont feel like getting locked in.Good luck out keep in touch.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, on Quantico it can be hit or miss. During the first week of the season on Quantico you can bet the farm the deer move from bed to feed the last hour before sundown. It is the "where" you have to worry about, because it is a given they are going to pick up and move, wether it is 85 degrees or 60 degrees. Make it simple. Find a grass field, find the closest bedding area (ie pine thicket) and set up downwind of that bedding area as it moves into the grass field....you will find something moving, I promise. Well, I think...hahahahaha. Good luck guys, my first day on Quantico will be tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Spike

My buddy was able to arrow an 11 point in Nokesville this evening. Very nice deer with a big body
Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Arrowed a slickhead this evening from a ladder stand I just set up yesterday. Twenty five yard shot. She ran straight into the cut corn field and tumbled at 50 yards. Got to love those shots when you don't need a blood trail.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two good friends of mine shot does in the morning.

In a diff part of the state, my boss, his best friend, and my bosses son all scored sat afternoon.

I bounced work at noon and headed for the woods. In the tree by about 3pm and stuck a big doe at 445pm. Her shoulder was behind a sapling about 4" in diameter... I had plenty of space but got a bit tree shy and the shot went about 3" further back than I would have liked. Looked at the arrow through the binos and the ground looked like I'd shot her with a rifle... blood sprayed 7 or 8 feet back... arrow totally coated in blood. Made me feel better, at first I thought the shot was pure guts. I figured I at least had all of the liver and possibly a lung.

Waited til after dark and got myself lost as a mo-fo not 15 yards from where I shot her.... spent 45 minutes wandering around lost and came back in the AM with my best friend and found her less than half an hour... she didn't go 60 yards. I got all of the liver and one lung... it was in the upper 40s overnight.... no meat loss at all.

Saw several does and fawns in addition to the one I shot that night and called a group of young deer in to right under the stand... could have caught a fawn in a cast net.... pretty neat watching them play around and butt heads and box each other.... awfully cute little things.

Shot a squirrel with the bow as well, and missed another. Pretty good opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.