Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Opening Day >

Virginia Opening Day

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Opening Day

Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Went out Sat. morning, jumped one going to the stand and a couple of quail. To brite and to hot for anything to move, even me for an evening hunt. Bring on cooler weather.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Took my youngest daughter to one of our best spots in between a bean field and a overgrown pasture that butts up to the swamp, about a football sized section of the beans look like someone cut the tops out of them, I mean i have never seen soybeans ate up like this, but we saw nothing. Oh well I had a nice sit with one of my children and she had fun and no deer can replace that.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

By the way my buddy killed a nice 9 on the other side of the farm and saw 8 more.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt_Viper
You already know my dismal start! The thiing is I was surrounded by deer al day long, just held out for the big boy I have pegged down to a time of day that he is using trail that my stand is directly over!

Damn hounds!
I will have to say it was nice, that on opening day for a change we did not hear a single hound anywhere in the woods. Nice change of pace from the past years.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Fork Horn

My opening day on Quantico went with two does passing by about 8:45 then nothing. I sat on stand till 11am and decided to move to a trail that might have a little more action thinking the deer just haven't been pushed this far back yet.Boy was that a big mistake with the temps close to 80 I was sweating to much to waste a spot.

So with that kind of temps I guess I made the right call. sometimes I think why not go hunt that spot -stinking , bad wind or what ever because on public land you don't know who might just be in that same area before. so what do you all think about that. would you hunt it just to beat someone to the deer. you can but a lot of time into scouting and come to find some else was in there the day before.its a hard call for me.Thanks

Good luck And have a safe season
Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Went out Saturday morning and didn't see any deer but did see a jake and tom turkey. One of the guys on our lease did have his 13 year old son take a nice doe but no one else saw anything either.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Spike

I hunted Saturday at Quantico and didnt see a deer all day long. It was too warm out in the afternoon
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Notredame17, What TA were you in? I spent The day in 6C
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Rick,

When are you going to be hunting down in the 'Neck? The oaks are just starting to drop now down there in that area. It was not a rainfall of them yet, but enough to have the deer in them. I will probably be hunting in that tract that borders yours starting next week.

BY the way what do you drive? I saw a small car (not sure of the make beacuse I saw it at last minute) parked near the gate/chain a few weekends ago, thought maybe you were doing some scouting?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bushanic
Notredame17, What TA were you in? I spent The day in 6C
I was hunting in 7A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.