Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Great Dismal Swamp Bear Hunt >

Great Dismal Swamp Bear Hunt

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Great Dismal Swamp Bear Hunt

Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default Great Dismal Swamp Bear Hunt

Hi all. I finally got drawn for the Great Dismal Swamp Bear Hunt in VA. Anyone on here have any idea how that hunt is run? Do they use dogs? Also, any tips on strategy? I've never bear hunted before....
Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch out fot the "skeeters".They are big enough that they can stand flat footed and breed a woodpecker.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Spike

Well, the hunt is not until the latter part of November...Hopefully the mosquitoes won't be too bad. I'll pack the Thermacell just in case.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Well not to burst your bubble but they only shot 1 undersized bear ever on their 2 hunts. That was in 2007. Guy got a ticket. Last year they took zero bears on the 2 day hunt.
No dogs. I live close to there and I wouldn't waste my time on it. Just my .02 ¢ on it.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/greatdi...yfor%20web.pdf
Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Spike

Wonder why they don't do better? Guess I will see if I get drawn for a decent duck hunt on the same day before I commit. I have until 10/23 to pay up the $50....I was kind of hoping I'd have a better chance there. Supposedly there are some big bears in that swamp.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

Bigg...looks like you are down to the street from me.. I"m looking to network with folks in the industry down here in this part of VA.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Bigg~BirddVA
Well not to burst your bubble but they only shot 1 undersized bear ever on their 2 hunts. That was in 2007. Guy got a ticket. Last year they took zero bears on the 2 day hunt.
No dogs. I live close to there and I wouldn't waste my time on it. Just my .02 ¢ on it.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/greatdi...yfor%20web.pdf

I too wouldn't waist my time. In 2007 I got a tag, but didn't hunt. They only had one day for scouting and then it was on the opening day of deer season.

The guy that bagged that bear did so because he had a dingy and got across the water to the inner area. The only way to get there was by boat. You couldn't wade across it.

Too many negatives on this hunt. I waisted fifty bucks!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

The way you guys talk doesn't seem like a good bear hunting adventure. Here in Columbia the boys run them critters w/dogs. It's a **** of a sound. Not as good as my deer dogs, but acceptable. But really they kill some bears in the county during the two bear seasons. The boys on my club usually kill at least 1 a day. One day last year they killed a 275 lber, 335 lber and a 577 lber in the same day. Not a bad day of hunting with all the dogs loaded up b4 4:00 pm.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are plenty of bears in the area, our farms in Gates County border the swamp on the western side...

The problem is getting to them, what isn't swampy land is water...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Spike

Any openings in any clubs in Gates County? Have always wanted to hunt there. I used to play baseball against boys up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.