Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Green Swamp Hunting >

Green Swamp Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp Hunting

Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike

Can anyone point me out to some hog place/spot in greenswamp, my kid got interested in hunting, got him a crossbow and a surplus rifle.... help me make him happy, thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Cacciatore
Can anyone point me out to some hog place/spot in greenswamp, my kid got interested in hunting, got him a crossbow and a surplus rifle.... help me make him happy, thanks.

All along the Withlacoochee River side....
Old 12-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default First Trip

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I was worried about that...my spot must be swamped out..I'm glad I drew a quota for 3 lakes..it's a little drier in my spot.

Sounds like I'll be hunting Three lakes this year..I don't like water over 10 inches deep.
The main roads for Green swamp are limerock and fine for 2WD but like everyone has pointed out if you are going anywhere off the main road you need a 4WD and preferably a winch.

It got muddy real quick in the middle of dry season. Good boots a must. I have a CWP and a back up 9mm (snakes) with my 12 gauge.

It was my first trip just to scout the place out. Look forward to going back. I just don't understand how if you are wearing a reflective vest you can get a deer or turkey.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Spike

i never been to green swamp, i want to start hunting there, can anyone tell me whats the best way, to go, or what side is more seclured, and can i drive my atv there.

thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Your gonna have to scout it yourself noone is going to tell you where the best spot is... And if I'm not mistaken your not allowed to ride ATV's in any WMA in FL without a disabled permit...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Like Reb said..follow the river..go deep about 1-2 miles either way..there is game there...and it's easy walking..it's a hammock..you will need help dragging the game back..LOOOONNNGG walk.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Spike

yes u will chuck lonnnng walk
Old 09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

for the out of shape..weak in heart..fearful..unexperienced...you better stay within the first 1/4 mile..some have died trying to drag their game out..it's not as easy as it sounds.

also been reports of rabbid bobcats , bears, fat moccasins,extra large mean boars, ,mean gators and I've experienced some mean red necks yelling at me to "Leave their area." Green Swamp is not my favorite spot anymore..Three Lakes is a big drive but not nearly as crazy.Also the folks who man the gate are much nicer and sometimes serve coffee..{ -;...unlike the Green Swamp in which many times I had to wake the gate keeper up...I 'm always met with a smile and free to hunt even if I;m a few minutes early..I always Three Lakes was on a ridge and dryer..well ..it wasn't dry today. LOL I put the ole 4x4 to the test..I knew my snake boots would have not helped today...for the water was over the boot..

Quick story..back around 2005 I was hunting the Sumter /Polk County line at the Green Swamp line for hogs...I always had to walk through a good sized puddle..and I always heard a splash when I'd cross through it about 5:30 AM...the puddle was about 12 inches deep in the middle..the following weekend I got to the Green Swamp a little later about 6:30 AM ..I saw what was making the "Little Splash" a nice 10 foot gator..

Last edited by Chuck7; 09-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

I have experienced the same type of drunken redneck at Green Swamp. It is not my favorite place either. Hunted all morning one day and came back to my truck to meet 4 drunken rednecks with guns that had been consuming a twelve pack of Busch. Told me, i was hunting their area. Needless to say it was not worth it.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen..I only hunt green swamp during the weekdays..I stay away on the weekends..

I haven't run into any trouble yet at Three Lakes..so far..except its 3 times farther to drive..for me it's worth it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.