Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

ground blinds

Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Spike

Default ground blinds

How many of the guys on here that hunt in northern va, particularly fairfax county have had succes using ground blind for deer, in urban archey seasons and during the rut?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Spike

no input??
Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

cville...I believe you could use a natural ground blind and be very succesful on some urban deer. Make sure you are working the wind correctly and I bet you could ambush a ton of deer if you have the right spots.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Spike

cool, thanks for the tip, shadow, what about if i am using a primos blind, should i set it up early or just the day i go out?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Oklahoma I've had good results from both( setting up a few weeks pre-season and the day of the hunt,for a evening hunt)
The main key is to set up in a shaded area,take some limbs and brush and cover it a little so it don't look like a sore thumb.Then again don't take too much foliage away from your surroundings while trying to "brush it in",and Like virginiashadow said know your wind !!, and try to set up in the shadows!!!
With that being said I think you should do fine, Good Luck !
Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Spike

That sounds good, thansk you both for your tips..
Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Set it up early. Know your wind directions and don't hunt it if the wind is wrong. Which direction does your "prevailing" wind come from. Set the stand so that you can hunt it "most" of the time. Try to place it so that you can enter and leave without disturbing deer that you may be watching.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with setting it up early and putting it in the shadows. A few years ago on a lease I was on we had put up several blinds about 3 weeks prior to archery opener. One of them was sorta of a sore thumb, it was never shaded and the underbrush all aroudn it was all mucgh lighter in color, thin and really low. Needless to say it was amusing watching the deer feed along the field and when they go to the area of that blind they would work their way across the field to continue feeding or turn and feed back to the end of the field they came from. We learned alot from our mistakes that year with blinds. But I have had some excellent hunts out of blinds.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

Ground blind hunting is very effective. I have had 8 hen turkeys about 3 yards from my blind and they never saw me as I waved my un-gloved hand at them. If hen turkeys can't see you no deer will see you.

Seeing you are talking about urban deer- they should be a little less spooky, but still you need to try to control your scent. If you are allowed to bait do so for a couple of weeks to get them coming in to snack (corn or horse feed work well for me) Set your blind up a couple of weeks ahead and you should be good for a 15-20 yard bow shot.