HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Morels are out in VA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/291003-morels-out-va.html)

haystack 04-03-2009 02:13 PM

Morels are out in VA

Went out and found 6, I didn't get to look very long, it got a little to windy to be in the woods. They'll be out big time next week [8D]:D[8D]

virginiashadow 04-03-2009 06:13 PM

RE: Morels are out in VA

Haystack, what do you do with morels...how do you cook them? I am interested in learning about gathering and eating them. Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

haystack 04-04-2009 05:28 AM

Virginiashadow, Thanks for asking! First I'd like to give you some tips on were to look. It seems that in VA, or at least the parts of the state I have hunted Morels that under and around Tulip Poplars is the most productive, usually on north facing slopes, but I have found them just about everywhere except a direct south facing slope. Elm trees are another place worth looking also, especially dead elms. I have found them under White pines also. Once you find a location, they will be there year after year. Most of mine are on private land, but the SNP is one of the best places in the state to look, and its legal to harvest them.

Of course the best part of finding them is enjoying one of natures treasures, there is many ways to prepare them and I will provide my favorite simple recipe, but its endless really from spaghetti, pizza, scrambled eggs, just about any way that you would use store bought mushrooms. I also preserve them by canning them, they can be dried also, if you are interested in some of those techniques or any other info, I will be more than glad to help!

1. Morels, bunches of em
2.Butter/Margarine (3-4 tbsp's)
3. Frying pan (non-stick is good....iron skillet is better)
4. Flour (1/2 cup or so)
5. Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt butter in frying pan....don't overheat it!!
Coat Morels in flour using a ziplock bag...coat the clean morels well with flour.
Sautee mushrooms (gently)
Salt and pepper to taste.....and enjoy!!

haystack 04-04-2009 08:08 AM

One other tip I should mention, IMO its best to use a mesh bag. I try to pinch them off at ground level and keep clean as possible, but there could be a little dirt and bugs in them, that will fall out through the mesh, as well as spreading the spores around while you are hunting.

UFunny2 04-06-2009 02:59 PM

Have you ever found any ramps in your morel hunt?

haystack 04-06-2009 05:56 PM

I have not, and to my knowledge they don't grow in my area. I have a friend from WV that gave me some to try and to be honest, they are not for me. Where he's from they grow in abundance and every year they have Ramp festivals with a huge attendance, so apparently you either love 'em or hate 'em. Little to "pungent" for me (LOL)

virginiashadow 04-06-2009 07:21 PM

Thank you for the information Haystack! I will be out this weekend scouting and would love to find some morels. I want to cook them up with some venison this weekend...THANK you again for your knowledge and help.

Brett

haystack 04-11-2009 06:33 PM

Had some good hunting today, I was very surprised they would be out that good considering the cool weather. Actually it is better than average for this patch, this time of the year. Hope you guys are having some Luck! Should be at least 3 more weeks hunting left. [8D]

b tip 06 04-12-2009 05:23 AM

Lookin' good haystack,................ should be some real eatin'.

coolbrze0 04-18-2009 06:44 PM

Man that's a boatload!!! I fry 'em up w/ butter, salt, pepper, & onions :)