Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

CAMP LEJEUNE

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM

Default CAMP LEJEUNE

All,

My name is Brian, I'm a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps and am currently the Chief Marine Corps Drill Instructor of Naval Officer Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island. I'm heading to 2nd Marine Division this Summer and was wondering if anyone had any insight to bowhunting on base? I've been to the MWR website and read the orders.

Could anyone suggest some areas to scout. I arrive in late June and bow season opens 13 Sept.

Also, I'm looking for a private club in Onslow or Pender County so that I can get Cayce, my 14 year old back into the woods. He killed his first two deer when he was nine but with the war and deployments and now being up North it's been pretty tough to get him back out, Lejeune and Jacksonville should offer those oppoutunities.

Marine
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CAMP LEJEUNE

First off Spooner, thank you for all you do. My father retired from the Corp after 26 years. My good friend from college is now a Major (Tim Brady) stationed at Lejeune, but he is deployed at the moment.

I hunt at Quantico Marine Base up here in VA and have some tips for you when you hunt Lejeune even though I know nothing about the land itself. These tips have helped me on the base when I first started.

1) See if you can meet up with the conservation officer(game warden maybe)on base and ask him a lot of questions about where he sees a lot of deer.

2) Try to talk with someone from the natural resource department and ask them if/where they have planted any food plots. This one is huge b/c many people do not know that people on the base plant food plots in remote areas and they can be gold mines if you hunt them at the right time.

3) Then I would begin driving around the base in July/August during the last hour before dark and look for any herds of deer in fields and the edges of the woods and note them ona map.

4) And last but not least, if an area looks great prior to the season, chances are many other people are onto the area as well and will put a lot of pressure on it immediately. Have a plan B or C to intercept the deer as they move further back into the woods once the hunting pressure mounts on the base.

I wish you and your son the best of luck.

Brett
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Brett,

Roger, thanks for the info, those are great ideas, especially the driving around base, did that when stationed in South Carolina and it worked out great. Here in Rhode Island I hunted state land and really had to have alternate plans because the land got allot of pressure but I was able to down three in 07 with my bow. Cannot wait to get to Lejeune, take care and continued good luck at Quantico.

Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spooner, I sent you a PM(private message) with some Lejeune info.

Brett