Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds >

SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds

Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: SC Stakeholder Report on Hounds

Our biggest problem here in SC are guys who take 20 walkers and turn them lose on a 50ac tract of land. Does anyone else see the problem in this? I dog hunted all my life until about four years ago. Dog hunting is a family tradition on both sides of my family. It has gotten to the point where there are only a few timber companies left in SC that will lease you their land for dog hunting and I heard recently that one of those companies will only allow the current lease holders to run dogs, not any new leases.

If SC would have put a tract size restriction or size of dog restriction (or both) in place 20 years ago I don't think it would have come to what it has in the state.

I see both sides. What has gotten us where we are is the mentaility that if you give to one "side" you are taking away and punishing another. A lot of the dog hunters won't compromise. They think they should be able to do what they want. Then the a lot of the "still" hunters won't compromise. They want be happy until dog hunting is illega.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

^^^Good Post, what they need is acerage restricitions. They also need to avoid putting the dogs out on the property lines, make them drop in the middle of the tract.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

A turkey hunter hears a gobble on the next adjoining property and pursues it and sets up between the hunter and the gobbler.

A hunter spys a monster buck while driving down the road before bow season and sneaks in on someone elses property and hangs a stand and hunts.

A group of deer hound hunters leases 20acres and turns their dogs out to hunt and crosses your property in pursuit of game.

All is unethical hunting, Should it be banned? or restricted?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

A turkey hunter hears a gobble on the next adjoining property and pursues it and sets up between the hunter and the gobbler.

-This happens all the time if you turkey hunt public land. To me you are a total slob if you do it, however it's not illegal. Nor is it illegal to call a bird off someone else's land. You own/lease the land, not the wildlife.

A hunter spys a monster buck while driving down the road before bow season and sneaks in on someone elses property and hangs a stand and hunts.

-There is no (in my state) law that states that you can't pull over on the side of the road (unless it's in a no parking zone) and glass animals as long as you don't have a weapon in your car/truck. If someonewalks on, hunts,traps, fishes, bird watchs,etc. on someone else'sland without written permision then they are tresspassing which is illegal. This one is pretty cut and dry.

A group of deer hound hunters leases 20acres and turns their dogs out to hunt and crosses your property in pursuit of game.

-If the hunters come on to your land without permission then again this is tresspassing. If their dog crosses onto your land it is seen (by state law) to not be tresspassing. Dogs can't read signs. However, I don't care what anyone says there is no way that you can turn dogs out on 20ac of land and have them NOT go onto adjoining property. Well, unless it's high fenced. As I stated in my previous post, this is probably the biggest issue we have in SC.

Ethics are a set of morals and values seen fit for an individual to govern themself. So my thought of what is unethical may/may not differ from yours. IMO ethics should never be compared.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hokieman

If he crosses the property line that's a crime. If he goes to the edge and calls it in it's not a crime.

Another crime.

Crosses with guns or chasing the dogs? 1 is legal the other is unethical as 20 acres isn't enough to hunt with hounds. But that wasn't the intent when they hunted the place.

All is unethical hunting, Should it be banned? or restricted?
Laws are created in an attempt to legislate ethics. They can't cover it all and some holes are there. It's usually assumed some minimum level of ethics exists. But like many other things today a law has to be created for every loophole one can find to circumvent ethics. The demographics have changed and the level of ethics in deer hound hunters has gone down. All you're seeing is the reaction to what the deer hound hunters are doing. You know it's coming and you know it's going to happen eventually. Again SAC should have fixed it when they had the chance.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

It happens to me it happens to most hunters, your on your stand and a pack of dogs come in. It doesnt happen ALL the time! Idont care how much anyone trys to convince the rest it does! Just my opinion but who cares? I know its "your right" not to be bothered by a pack of dogs, but come on...if you shoot a bigbuck or any deer and it went on the adjoining property you would not go to get your game? these people could and are starting to use that complaint against hunters pursuing their game....sounds silly dont it
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BOWMANN100

It happens to me it happens to most hunters, your on your stand and a pack of dogs come in. It doesnt happen ALL the time! Idont care how much anyone trys to convince the rest it does! Just my opinion but who cares? I know its "your right" not to be bothered by a pack of dogs, but come on...if you shoot a bigbuck or any deer and it went on the adjoining property you would not go to get your game? these people could and are starting to use that complaint against hunters pursuing their game....sounds silly dont it
Last day I had them run through where I was chasing some small doe or possibly a button buck. Had another pack run through my friends location a few hundred yards away chasing 3 small deer. They ran right across the main road just about where the hound got hit and killed a week ago. Amazing no one hit the dogs or deer.