Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Late Season Tactics For Archers in NOVA. >

Late Season Tactics For Archers in NOVA.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Late Season Tactics For Archers in NOVA.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Late Season Tactics For Archers in NOVA.

ORIGINAL: Bone_Collector

Hey guys don't mean to get off subject, but I am originally from Springfield, VA and moved to TN when i was 16. I was always told that you could not hunt in Fairfax county, but knew eventually they would have to get smart and allow at least bow hunting. I knew you could hunt on Ft. Belvoir, but i was unaware that you could hunt anywhere else. However, through this forum and others it appears that there are alot of hunters in the NOVA area. I was just wondering as to what type of land was avaialable to hunt there as it is mostly urban. Did the railroad company finally coperate and allow hunting? I was just curious, because i could remember when i was a kid in the woods with my BB gun i used to see a ton of deer and think i wish i could hunt deer here, but it wasn't allowed.
Almost all of Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties hunting land is Private. With the exception of Quantico, and Belvoir and controlled hunts, and WMA in PW. In fairfax its all urban, all of it! But its good hunting. Archery only though, there are few lucky people who have gun permits but not many, i think its less then 5 or 10 permits in the whole county now. For as long as i can remember or as long as i have hunted, you could always bowhunt in Fairfax. Prince William and Loudoun you can use modern firearms, and most of Loudoun you can still use a rifle with the exception of the eastern protion of the county. The hunting in NOVA is great if you can get a spot, its not easy to do though. The lots are small. In Fairfax i hunt places that are 2acres or less sometimes. It can be challeging but its also rewarding.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Spike

what always blew my mind about NOVA (at least in Springfield) was there is a ton of wooded land, that runs from springfield all the way down through the Saratoga area and right up behind the Lorton Prison that noone is allowed(legally) to hunt on. It is owned by the railroad companies as far as i know, and I always wondered why the state or the county did not work something out with them where they would issue a certain # of permits (maybe for $5-15) and allow hunting. There are tons of deer in there and some really big ones.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

BONE--i dont know what year it was when you were 16 but most of what you call "wooded" land is now townhouses and single family homes. you should take a trip back up here to see how things have changed. after that, im sure that you will be glad you got out of here after what you see now.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Spike

1992, but i was jut there in April of 2008 and my grandfather lives off Lois Dr about 1 mile from springfield mall and the railroad land that has been across the street for ever is still there, but from what i can see on google the area across from where i lived last has been developed, however there is still at least 100-200 acres of woods and there is a creek that runs through it. Here is a link to the area behind my grandfather's neighborhood. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl. if you switch it from satellite to regular map you can see that there is a small area marked as a park, but everything around it is wooded and I assure you there are some big deer in there. I'm sure someone has asked, but i can't see how it would be a bad thing to ask the county or the railroad company to open it to hunting.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM

so can anyone help me figure out what they are eating....i know on belvoir they are eating what little grass is still green.....i'm not sure what to look for in the way of browse or any other sources of food....i was able to pattern a group of about 10 does, going from bedding to feeding areas, in one area of post and now that area is closed.... now i am trying to figure out a similar pattern for some new areas that don't have the same food source..... any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

This time a year you may just have to stumble on them toobserve what they are eating. The deer I'm hunting in NOVA, their browse changes on a weekly basis.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

There eating a lot of grass, and shrubs right now that i can see. Also, take a look at the neighborhoods near by, you will be amazed how many people are feeding them. I know a couple of people near where i hunt through out all sorts of stuff, from corn, apples, bird seed, pretty much everything under the sun.

Ive been seeing a lot of deer getting close to the houses, I hunt at my friends house, and she says there in her bushes all the time. We have them patterned too, not moving in the mornings, but in her yard all day long, they wait till eveyone goes to work! Pretty crafty.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen them in the shrubs after dark.