Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms >

Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Kind of telling that the people who are so irritated about this never address the private property issue. I might not like the idea of shooting a dog,but if people would stay off of other peoples property it wouldn't be an issue. And if a dog is ruining someones hunt on their property then don't get upsetwhen the situation is eliminated.A dog is property too.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: deerdogdude

wow. bowmann you hit the nail right on the head!
dogdude, don't get me wrong, I have hadit happen to me and I know the frustration when it happens. I am not a dog hunter besides the 2 or 3 times I have went the last few years(had a blast by the way) but just think that if it REALLY happens all the time to you then there are steps to take. after a couple of times contact the owner second if that does not work call animal control, catch the dog and call animal control(if its a habit not the first time you see a dog running around) there is a reason why it is against the law to kill dogs. Is it worth poss. getting jail time and the heafty fines and everyone in your community knowing you did something like that? Plus knowing you have just killed somones beloved pet? Not to me it is not. I could not sleep at night knowing I did something so terrible. If you keep calling animal control then they will do something about it! It may take a few times for the animal being caught but they will put a stop to it or in time will take the animal away from its owner. as far as it being deer hunters dogs than hopefully they do not run that piece often. communicate with them. I know the dog club around one of my pieces call me when they are gonna run next to me. I usually still go hopeing to get a shot, but sometimes I will hunt somewhere else, my choice. I respect them and do not tresspass on their land when they are not around and they seem to do the same for me. We are all hunters, they may think that my way of hunting is the lazy mans way of doing it andI may think their way is the selfish way, but in the end we are all hunters that love the great outdoors.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just contact the owner, huh? And can someone just explain to me how you are upposed to know who owns some dog running around loose out in the woods where it doesn't belong? Maybe ask the dog for his ID, address andphone number?

Supposeded to run around the area stopping at every house or farm asking "Is that your dog running around loose out there?" And we all know how immediately cooperativethose things seem to go.

And I especially like the part about if a dog is wearing a collar it isn't a stray. LOL! People abandon dogs all the time with collars on them and they wander off and become strays with collars on too. LOL!

So it was noticed that this post was put out and then abandoned by the poster and no questions were answered.

If the dog was off their land and on someone elses land. Oh well.

If the person who shot it was trespassing on their land that is something different.

But to the question by the deserter poster of what to tell your kid...........

(in my best Andyhaving a talk with Opie tone).

Well ya see Opie, when you have a dog you have alot of responsibility in your hands. And part of that responsibiblity is to make sure your dog is under your control at all times. You can't go letting him run aroundgettin into other peoples stuff or on their property or messin with their stuff. Now it seems like maybe you weren't responsible and didn'tcontrol your dog and it got over on some neighborin property and messed up someones hunt that meant an awful lot to them.Them folks come way down from Mt. Pilot and only got a couple days a year to hunt. They spend alot of hard earned cash to make this trip and you letting your dog get over there and mess it all up for them seems like they didn't appreciate that much at all. No sir eeee.

Well Op, I suppose you won't be lettin any more of them little rascals run off out of your control now will ya. I'll have Gomercome by and you and him can dig a hole and bury the dog out back. Maybe put a rock out there to mark the spot so that you'll member this fore ya go lettinanother dog runoff.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bottom line is this can go back and forth forever when someone comes in and drops a vague post bomb and then doesn't bother to answer the questions it is sure to raise.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Just contact the owner, huh? And can someone just explain to me how you are upposed to know who owns some dog running around loose out in the woods where it doesn't belong? Maybe ask the dog for his ID, address andphone number?

Supposeded to run around the area stopping at every house or farm asking "Is that your dog running around loose out there?" And we all know how immediately cooperativethose things seem to go.

And I especially like the part about if a dog is wearing a collar it isn't a stray. LOL! People abandon dogs all the time with collars on them and they wander off and become strays with collars on too. LOL!

So it was noticed that this post was put out and then abandoned by the poster and no questions were answered.

If the person who shot it was trespassing on their land that is something different.

(in my best Andyhaving a talk with Opie tone).

Well ya see Opie, when you have a dog you have alot of responsibility in your hands. And part of that responsibiblity is to make sure your dog is under your control at all times. You can't go letting him run aroundgettin into other peoples stuff or on their property or messin with their stuff. Now it seems like maybe you weren't responsible and didn'tcontrol your dog and it got over on some neighborin property and messed up someones hunt that meant an awful lot to them.Them folks come way down from Mt. Pilot and only got a couple days a year to hunt. They spend alot of hard earned cash to make this trip and you letting your dog get over there and mess it all up for them seems like they didn't appreciate that much at all. No sir eeee.

Well Op, I suppose you won't be lettin any more of them little rascals run off out of your control now will ya. I'll have Gomercome by and you and him can dig a hole and bury the dog out back. Maybe put a rock out there to mark the spot so that you'll member this fore ya go lettinanother dog runoff.

Or you can just tell him you have some dumb guy(not hunter) that is all about himself with no attempt to find out who owns the dog, your pet. you see son, there are "few"(thank God) out there that are justplan ole stupidno other way to put it, sad but so true.

as far as how to find out who's pet it is,how about taking your lazy butt off the stand look at the collar and try to make contact!, its called having morals, whichI see some on here do not have. Upbringing is everything to kids, just cause youCHOOSE not to have any, think of the familly your gonna hurt. What is wrong with people now a days?[&o] Hope no kids look up to this guy(?)!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Uncle Matt, I posted this news article because there has been a increase of unethical hunters shooting hunting dogs this year. It is a major problem and yes if it is wearing a collar it will have a name and number on it for you to call but to many are to quick to sight in their bow, rifle or muzzeloader at it. This particular dog was released on their lease and had gotted off it. They had tracked it late that eveing and had hoped it would come back the next morning it didn't and they continued to look for it like responsible hunting dog owners do. They found the dog shoot on someone elses property, the cowarldly bastard shot the dog and left. I don't care who dogs it was or where it was the point is your some kind of sick person to shoot a dog that is doing what it is bred to do. The hunter might have waited a few minutes and the dog would have left the area with the scent of the deer but I would bet he is a reader of numerios forums on the topic and got instigated with what some has said they would do if it was up to them. Be a man contact the dogs owner and tell him to his face to not release his dogs on your property and just so you know the person who cowardly shot the dog didn't even own the land just hunted there. As a landowner myself and living in southwest of virginia I don't have this problem with hunting dogs. I do have them with poachers and stillhunters hunting with Bow and Rifle sneaking on my land hunting. I have ask many to leave and some I have made runts out of and sent them thru the tickets to make deer drives to get the deer up and moving when the season becomes slow by hunting pressure. It's how you make the day that counts. Happy Hunting.

Just contact the owner, huh? And can someone just explain to me how you are upposed to know who owns some dog running around loose out in the woods where it doesn't belong? Maybe ask the dog for his ID, address and phone number?

(in my best Andy having a talk with Opie tone).

Well ya see Opie, when you have a dog you have alot of responsibility in your hands. And part of that responsibiblity is to make sure your dog is under your control at all times. You can't go letting him run around gettin into other peoples stuff or on their property or messin with their stuff. Now it seems like maybe you weren't responsible and didn't control your dog and it got over on some neighborin property and messed up someones hunt that meant an awful lot to them. Them folks come way down from Mt. Pilot and only got a couple days a year to hunt. They spend alot of hard earned cash to make this trip and you letting your dog get over there and mess it all up for them seems like they didn't appreciate that much at all. No sir eeee.

Well Op, I suppose you won't be lettin any more of them little rascals run off out of your control now will ya. I'll have Gomer come by and you and him can dig a hole and bury the dog out back. Maybe put a rock out there to mark the spot so that you'll member this fore ya go lettin another dog run off.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem with getting off your stand and trying to find out whose dog is that after yrs of dealing with these folk, trying to compromise, beg, threaten, and calling the law . . . .the practice continues. Fact is, they don't care if their hounds run your land . . .in many cases, they intend to run your land. Fact is, they realize that their going to lose some dogs but no matter they keep dozens of them. Going to the trouble to capture and return their dogs is like saying "I am so stupid as to not realize that your throwing your dog over my property line with the intent of a race. I'm mighty gullible so continue your practice and I will spend my hunting time chasing and returning your mutts to you."
Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Bowman, I agree with you 100%, I also understand in those rare instances you actually do have people turning out on your piece and talking has done nothing to resolve the issue. calling the law WILL get something done! it may take a few times but they will do something about it, like you said secure the dog if possible. If after all that and trying to talk to the Offender and warning him to stop and he does not...well thats on him. But the law being GW, animal control, etc. will do something before that IF they are actually doing the things you think they are. your statement on morals, well its not just the few on hear its like that everywhere now. sad isint it.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep them stray dogs, or dogs running loose out of their owners control will just let you take a look at thedog tags with theirowners name and address on thempert near every time. Just holler out, "Sit!",and the mutts will be there waiting on you to check the info.

Then, when you get all the so readily available info, just never mind that deer you were hoping to get. Take the little rascal back over to wherever he is from (remember the address is on the tag) and put him back where he's supposed to be because that is your job and responsibility - not the owners.

Here we go once again with a serious problem in todays society. People putting their responsibilities off on others.

Bottom line. Wasthe dog was on the actual owners property andshot by a trespasser? OR was iton someone else's property? Because this issue has beenrun thru the mill countless times here and now its time to try it again with the insertation of the"poor little Timmy" element.

It just isn't reasonable or feasible to track down the owners of even a small percentage of these dogs we're talking about. Let's look at the last mutt that ran thru when we were out. It looked like some sort of black lab mixed with something. First heard some bustin in the brush by a creekline and caught a flag running off follwed closely by the mutt. Couldn't tell if it had a collar.

Could you please tell me exactly where I can find the owners? Cause I ain't spending my time after dark driving farm to farm asking everyone in the next few miles. And if I were going to waste so much time and effort should I buy and bring them a chain to keep the dogs on? And a couple hundred pounds of food? After all - their dog is my responsibilty right?

Can I drive my truck out into your crops and get it stuck? And then make it your responsibility to pull my truck out? And the damage my property caused to your crops? Well thats on you - not me.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Yep them stray dogs, or dogs running loose out of their owners control will just let you take a look at the dog tags with their owners name and address on them pert near every time. Just holler out, "Sit!", and the mutts will be there waiting on you to check the info.

Then, when you get all the so readily available info, just never mind that deer you were hoping to get. Take the little rascal back over to wherever he is from (remember the address is on the tag) and put him back where he's supposed to be because that is your job and responsibility - not the owners.

Here we go once again with a serious problem in todays society. People putting their responsibilities off on others.

Bottom line. Was the dog was on the actual owners property and shot by a trespasser? OR was it on someone else's property? Because this issue has been run thru the mill countless times here and now its time to try it again with the insertation of the "poor little Timmy" element.

It just isn't reasonable or feasible to track down the owners of even a small percentage of these dogs we're talking about. Let's look at the last mutt that ran thru when we were out. It looked like some sort of black lab mixed with something. First heard some bustin in the brush by a creekline and caught a flag running off follwed closely by the mutt. Couldn't tell if it had a collar.

Could you please tell me exactly where I can find the owners? Cause I ain't spending my time after dark driving farm to farm asking everyone in the next few miles. And if I were going to waste so much time and effort should I buy and bring them a chain to keep the dogs on? And a couple hundred pounds of food? After all - their dog is my responsibilty right?

Can I drive my truck out into your crops and get it stuck? And then make it your responsibility to pull my truck out? And the damage my property caused to your crops? Well thats on you - not me.
I guess not posting your property with landowners name and number helps hunting dog owners find you and contact you to ask permission to retrieve our dog. By the time someone drives down the road and walks up to your house not knowing if your home or out and about at the sametime the dog could have fallen into an uncovered well or eaten poision put out by the owner illegaly to kill coyote or set out traps or anything that may endanger a hunting dog. It may take hours to find the owner when infact the welfare of the dog is of utmost importance. It goes both ways. The State of Virginia gives hunting dog owners a right to retrieve hunting dogs not for disrect of the landowner but for respect of their property and the welfare of the dog.

Quick Reply: Cowardly Killer not Hunter - by Billy Nelms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.