Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

NC Laws

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Default NC Laws

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and have a question about laws in North Carolina.

A friend of mine has given me permission to hunt on her property. It is outside of the city limits but in a small neighborohood. I didnt really think much of it but decided to put some trail cams up just to see and ended up getting a nice buck on film.

I am hoping someone here can tell me what the laws pertaining to this situation would be. Is it legal because it is outside of the city limits? Or not legal because it is in a neighborohood? Is it more complicated than this? I am planning on hunting with a bow if it makes a difference?

I have always hunted on hunting club land before so it was a non issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NC Laws

As long as it's out of the city limits I don't see a problem. How big is the parcel you will be hunting? The reason I ask is if you shoot a deer on your friend's parcel and it goes onto an adjacent parcel you will need to get permission to retrieve deer (technically) or you would be trespassing. Hopefully any deer you shoot will die on the parcel your huntingand if you can retrieve the deer from another parcel without that person knowing you are on their land I would suggest doing this. Another guy onthis forum (twildasin)lost abuck he shot in PAbecause of this.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Spike

Check ncwildlife.org(hunting regulations) laws vary from county to county.I hunt many counties here in NC,all require written premission for hunting.check (local law section) for the county you'll be hunting
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

You best get permission in writing. Its the number one law.
The hand shake and a mans words seems to no longer exist.
If you are that close to houses my suggestion would be go BOW!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Read the city or town ordinances, county laws, and laws on the specific weapon your using. I live in Huntersville, NC (just north of Charlotte). I live in a subdivision with 1000 homes. Behind my house we have an easement, which joins about 10 acres of hardwoods. I don't know who owns the hardwoods, but I bow hunt the easement. Last year I shot a HUGE doe. This year I've passed on several small deer.

In Huntersville, the only law on the books is you can't shoot a firearm, "projectial propelled by the explosion of gun powder." So bow hunting is permitted. Prior to hunting I checked with the police department and they said I was ok as long as I used a bow.

Its a great spot, plenty of deer, racoon, fox, rabbit, and no hunting pressure.