green swamp wma in florida

Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: green swamp wma in florida

i think it might be. but im not sure.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer, how big was it?? Yea if you can get access the surrounding areas around greenswamp are loaded with deer!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Spike

it was just a spike. but it was the first buck ive seen from stand.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

hey aint nothin wrong with that, i just got back from the swamp today, another slow weekend(471 side: had 1 hog sat.,one spike today), its too warm, im hopin it will cool of by the last week,im goin to be up there for the rest of the season after christmas...found some promisin signs down by the rivertoday and some good catfish holes[:-], on saturday had some guys shoot off about 60 rounds within a 2 hr time frame, ain see nuthin, they must think greenswamp is a gunrange...morons![:@]...goodnews is the deer should be gettin into the rut! best part of the season in my opinion...i remember a few years back durin the rut, i was headin out the 471 side and this guy and his friend had set their stands a couple hundred yards apart, they got a 3point, 5point, and a big8point they had all came in together, after seein that i was a sole beleiver in bucks movin around good durin the rut, had always heard it, but that proved it!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Spike

im headed out tommorow morning with my girlfriend.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i might be headed out there this tuesday afternoon to do some scouting for a friday morning hunt.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Spike

good luck man
Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i appreciate it but luck has nothing to do with it
Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

progress report: this was the first time i have set foot in Green Swamp in 10 years. i went back to some spots i have hunted in previous years. this is by far the dryest i have ever seen Green Swamp, the river has no water in it and the water marks on the tree's in the swamp i use to hunt is approximately 3.5 high but no water around. the skeeters are no where near as bad as they use to be (probably due to the water shortage). anyway, i only hunted Friday morning and left around 1400 hrs. due to having to work tonight. while in the stand, about 45 minutes after daylight i had approximately 7 hawgs feed within 10 yards of me. i told myself before getting to my stand that i would take a hawg if it weighed less than 150 pounds. according to my g.p.s., my stand is approximately 1.6 miles from the parking area (as the crow flies). i'm guessing it to be around a 2 mile walk, each way. anyway, due to the distance of my walk, i was not going to shoot a hawg over 150 pounds.

now back to the hawgs, while the 7 fed towards me, i was only given the oppertunity to shoot 1 of them. they came in behind me and i was looking down through the oak/cypress canopy. so i could only see through random holes in the canopy. the one hawg that gave me a shot oppertunity was estimated at approximately 250-300 pounds and fed within 10 yards of me. i raised my rifle and placed the cross hairs of my Pentax Lightseeker scope on the top of the hawgs head and started to apply pressure to the trigger. just prior to my 2# trigger breaking, self restraint got the better of me. i pictured myself covered in sweat and about to have a heat stroke dragging this animal for about 3-4 hours. i eased up on the trigger and took my cross hairs off the hawg and watched it feed out of sight. shortly after seeing the hawgs, i had 2 doe's feed within 30 yards of me as i watched patiently in hopes a buck would follow.

after the doe's fed off towards the river, or lack there of, i sat in my stand for several hours watching mother nature at her finest. mornings like this are the reason i love hunting so much. it gives me time to myself and to reflect on life. hunting is not about killing, it's about spending time with God and mother nature. then at around 1100 hrs. i hear a shot within close proximity of me. turns out some yahoo is walking through the woods with an AR15 shooting at armadillo's and other misc. animals. i know this because i got out of my stand out of frustration and walked up on him while hiking back to the truck. i asked him "did ya get him?" and he advised me he was just shooting at armadillo's. i bit my tongue as i walkedpast him and proceeded to my truck.

i am planning on going back out to Green Swamp Tuesday morning for some more scouting. i will be there all day Wednesday in hopes of shooting a smaller porker or buck.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be pissed if i saw or heard someone shooting armidillos or whatever, no biting my tongue there...lol...not that I disagree with killing them, just not on WMA, wanton/wasteful killing is a no-no....besides, he could of spooked the buck that was coming in to ya..,
I got a text meassage today from a guy I know, his son shot a 10 point over at GS today, 135 lbs.16.5'' inside spread...the check station operatordidn't want the jaw bone????from the pic, I'd say he was 5.5 easy.....he was running a doe.....

Quick Reply: green swamp wma in florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.