green swamp wma in florida

Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: green swamp wma in florida

thanks chuck,...sounds good!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

It would definitely be worth sittin on it at least a couple times, because usually a rub is a sign of a bucks territory to show other bucks they are in that area...it works both ways though, i was hunting in croom when it was open, found a good rub on a little pine rubbed down to the core, sap was coming out, sat on it 4 separate occasions and didn't see nothin but a couple does, but that rub was super fresh so i kno there was a buck in that area. Definitely give it a go though!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Spike

im definately have alot of time there so i am going to give it a few hole days. mabey i will get lucky
Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Dominant Buck

i havent seen anything yet. you think if i sit on a rub longenough i will see a deer? it is about a mile backin the woods.

Here's my advice when not seeing anything..

A. Get up at least 14 feet high..your stand must be hidden and blending in with other trees..not out in the open..I had to move mine.

B. Seriously ..you can't move around..the deer can usually see you before you see them //hogs too. Leave drinks etc. in your truck..I have my pack hanging on a small tree beside my stand..and it takes me along time to get something out..I move very slowly..with eyes scanning the woods at all times.

C. If I don't see nothing in 2 or 3 hunts I move..

D. My area is good..there are no rubs, no scrapes..BUT 3 game trails funneling to their bedding area..and I'm seeing game.

E. I look for worn dark trails..going through thick crap along wet swampy stuff. They love to bef where they can get water, sun, and hear you before you see them..SO they love the thick water holes in the middle of cypress domes..there will be no big trees there blocking the sun..

Be careful..some black trails are not trails at all ...they are simply places where water has washed away debri..I look for trails are about a foot wide and mushy from much use..INSIDE BASYHEADS..I don't hunt those worn out trails on the outside of bayheads..those I beleive are made at night ..IMHO worn trailsarea better sign for me than a rub trail..The only deal is..when is that trail being used.?Deer generally make about a 1 mile loop I've read..so you have to determine..is that a night time trail or daytime..Sitting in that stand will find that answer out..

Now..when you have found a hot spot..
A..Don't tell a soul..don't get on here telling what road you hunt on..Scouting takes time and hard work..Many times I park 300 yds from where I go in at..If there are other hunters in the area..I lay out a fake trail which leads in one big circle..I've even put my trail tacks on the ground..Iy's best not to use flagger tape..you don't want a single person to investigate your gold mine..I use trail tacks..but only when needed ..I try to memorize the terrain and certain features before sticking them in the trees..When other hunters ask how I'm doing..I say..."Ain't seen jack man...this place sucks."

B. Don't over hunt it..I hunt my spot about once a week. Once you know what a decent spot looks like..find a couple more to huntaccordingto wind direction..

C. Your deer may be there..I've had deer and hogs walk by me this year all in about 5 seconds total.If I had not been looking..I would have missed them..

D. Are you hearing game in the early hours before daylight?? If so they are probably around..

Merry Christmas,
C7

PS And remember ..don't campare yourself with others..It 's like a northern bass fisherman camparing to our bass fishing in Florida.Just do your BEST on every hunt..Tryto stay in that stand with out moving much..and you should be learning something just about every hunt..I had to learn a costly lesson AGAIN last week. Have that stand pointed in the right direction..[&o]your eyes are your most important tool.95% of the time you will not hear hogs or deer..you must be looking.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

From my personal expeirience 14 ft. high isnt high enough... up until earlier this year i was always goin between 15-20 ft. high and on two separate occasions, had deer lookin right at me...once in croom 4 doesand a button spike came through a BIG doe was leadin the pack, she stopped and looked strate up at me from about 60yardsaway, blew and they all took off, the second time just a couple weeks back that little 4 point did the same thing, i was watchin a doe cross about 100 yds, to the left of my stand, turned back slowly and there he was about50 ft. in front of me lookin right at me. i've now started goin between 20-25ft. up. I've been told by several people thats had luckgettin bucks to go at least 20ft.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I totally believe ya..

except I get leary of heights past 14[&o] but I know you are right..it just makes sense..
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Spike

I would move if I was you. I personally cant sit somewere to many times if I dont see something. I walked around right before dark one day and spooked a deer that ran across the road. So I hunted that spot and have had really good luck so far. I have seen something 70% of the timeout of that spot.You may want to try hunting some spotswereyou can see alot of area.Good luck

I did not see anything today.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Spike

the place i found the rubs is planted pines along one side with a rub on the edge of a cypress head and other cypress heads in the area. im going out tommorow. good luck to everyone.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

you know what, i used to be the same way first time i went up in a tree went only about 10ft. up, but i progressivly worked my way up, you have to trust your stand...i gota summit, and they are SAFE!....next time just try to go a little higher, beleive megoin higher pays off!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

GOOD LUCK!!!

Quick Reply: green swamp wma in florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.