Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Alabama or Mississippi >

Alabama or Mississippi

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Alabama or Mississippi

Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Alabama or Mississippi

I would like everyone's opinion on deer hunting in either Alabama or Mississippi.

A few friends and I are thinking about putting a deer hunting trip together to either Alabama or Mississippi next year, sometime between Thanksgiving and Chirstmas. This is strickly a do it yourself hunt, we are not buying hunt. This is what we have desided so far...hunting public land, liking to be camping, would like to take a nice buck if possible but we definatley aren't die hard trophy hunting.

Any opinions or suggestions to point me in the right direction for my research is appreciated
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Alabama or Mississippi

I hunt in Mississippi...

You might want to go to the MDWFP site and look into some of the draw hunts for Mahannah...really nice deer there...there should be harvest reports on the WMAs....along with a map showing their location...

I hunt in the center of the state on the I20 corridor...public woods there would be Beinville National Forest....it has 3 WMAs in the forest....

We have plenty of deer here....
Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks, I will definatly be checking it out.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Alabama and the good thing about hunting Bama is that our season last until January 31st every year and our rut don't start until about mid January. So you can hunt your home state and then come to Bama in January and still catch the rut. Look into the Tuskegee National Forest in Tuskegee,AL. I hunt there and have hunted there for almost 20 years now. There are plenty of camp spots to camp out and there are some really nice deer there.... plus in Bama all you need is a hunting license and you can take 3 bucks.... one has to have atleast 4 points on one side but the other 2 are pick and choose what you want.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Good info thanks.You guys have given some good starting points for doing more research. Thank You
Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

here's a 6 I took last year on the Tuskegee National Forest
Old 12-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

here's a link.... i dont know how to post pics on here....

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/countylinepits/buck2.jpg

Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Spike

Neither one. Head to Arkansas.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I'd watch the river next year and go off of that. I think mahannah and twin oaks here in mississippi for rifle are by draw only but not positive though. If the mississippi stays as high for as long as it did this year next year I would hit up alabama. If your coming to mississippi come mid december. Louisianas red river WMA is a deer haven and is not affected by river too much. St. Catherines crrek in natchez mississippi is awesome but not this year because of prolonged flooding. Give me a little more input on what kind of hunting yall will be doing?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM

We're still in the very early planning stages. Right now the plan is to deer hunt with rifles using climbing stands. The closest we've have on a time frame is taking a week, probably Saturday to Saturday, between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Quick Reply: Alabama or Mississippi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.