Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Dog hunting outlaws >

Dog hunting outlaws

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Dog hunting outlaws

Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dog hunting outlaws

I can't comment on that video as I do not know the people nor the area but I will say in some of the area's I hunt you are legal as long as you are across the ditch. An above poster said that's how it was there so assuming it is they were doing nothing illegal. So what's so bad about some hunters following the law? You don't know that they are going to shoot in the road. Infact I've seen people stand like that quite often and shoot into the woods in the town where I hunt that you just have to be across the ditch. Nothing wrong with that.

Plenty of still hunters break the laws all the time too. Maybe not as many people see them as they are usually hidden back in the woods somewhere but quite a few do it. Not to mention that those in that video may have not even been breaking the law. Plenty of people also get shot still hunting. The fact is accidents happen. Not just to guys that hunt with dogs but quite a few happen with guys that still hunt too. Infact I know of more that have happened still hunting than have happend with dog hunters but maybe I just haven't heard about the ones with the dog hunters. For the dog hunters that break the law there are also still hunters that do it. Not all still hunters are bad nor are all dog hunters and I see no problem with the video above as long as they were following the law. You don't see them shoot into the "road". We aren't even sure that that is a public road but even if it is they are across the ditch and you did not see them do anything illegal there. Don't you have something better to do than go around filming hunters whom may possible be following the laws? I mean geez.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM

You all crack me up. I’ve figured out one thing while joining in on the dog hunting thread. That is when talking with dog hunters there is at least two brains in the conversation. Mine and the dog the other is just an idiot with a gun.

The dog does at least have an excuse, they can’t read the no trespassing signs.

As for the idiots with gun why is it so hard for you all to understand that some people just don’t want you and your dogs running across their property!

I’m not against dog hunting am against trespassing. So keep yourself and your dogs on your own property and there won’t be any issues and this thread can die!!!!!!!!!

I think next year when the season comes in I’m going to find me farm that is owned by a dog hunter. Then I’m going to park my truck at the end of the driveway. Unload my four wheeler ride out across the farm set my stand up and settle in for a nice evening hunt. I’m sure they won’t care since trespassing is acceptable in dog hunting. What’s the different right.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think next year when the season comes in I’m going to find me farm that is owned by a dog hunter. Then I’m going to park my truck at the end of the driveway. Unload my four wheeler ride out across the farm set my stand up and settle in for a nice evening hunt. I’m sure they won’t care since trespassing is acceptable in dog hunting. What’s the different right.

lol, there it is right there, good point. . . .of course most of the deer doggers I know don't have a farm, don't pay hunting club dues, they just quit their jobs and tresspass all winter.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Spike

why is it so hard for the idiot with the video camera to understand those two people in his hollywood production werent doing anything illegal or wrong and in fact he is in the wrong.
the topic of discussion for the last dozen or so post have been about his video on u-tube and has nothing to do with tresspassing by the hunters or the dogs,being that they HAVE permission to be on BOTH sides of the road.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 AM

Hi fellas. New here. Just wanted to see what the fuss was about. Grew up in the Appalachians in south western Pennsylvania. Only three seasons up there. Hunting, fishing, and trapping. And I did them all. It wouldn't be stretching things to say that I grew up with a gun in my hand. Upon graduating college, I moved to the Northern Virginia area where I felt like a duck out of water. For twenty years. Tried sub-division after sub-division and could not get comfortable. Guess it was the country boy in me. Did well for myself and bought a 50 acre farm on the Rappahannock river. I fish and hunt my property and allow friends from work to visit and do the same. I even had a shooting berm put in so we could sight in our rifles safely and I could practice my hand gunning which I compete in.
I gotta say. Hunters up north aren't quite as rude as you dog hunters. Oh sure, poaching has always been around. Heck, the preacher at my church when I was a kid got caught poaching. It was in the papers and everything! I got caught trout fishing in a reservoir when I was fourteen. My Mom had to pay $35 to get me back and I had to work that off, you better believe.
Down the road a piece was an older lady with about 600 acres. She had a reputation of not letting people hunt her land. Her husband had passed and I guess she was just distrustful of folk. One summer I knocked on her door, introduced myself, and asked her if there weren't some chores she might need done around the place in return for hunting privileges. Notice that I said "privileges". Well, that summer, I cleaned chicken coops (yuck), split wood, helped to put up hay, and learned to drive a truck (not on the roads). She worked me like a mule. I think she came to like me because she started making me sandwiches and iced tea for lunch when I would be working. That fall I had her back 400 all to myself. Including the, by then, stripped corn fields surrounded by dense woods. Sitting up on a rise, I could look out over three separate fields and wait for the bucks to come out. I was lucky to have such a nice place to hunt but, looking back, I think I was luckier to have learned a valuable lesson that summer. A little courtesy, a little hard work, and mutual respect will go a lot further than bullying and swagger. All she asked in return was that I bust any groundhog I happened to see. Consider it done, I told her.
Sure, times have changed and kids are glued to their Play Stations. But, if grown men know darn well that they are going to be running hounds across my farm, they ought to have the decency to try to get to know me first. Stop by some summer with the kids and see if I don't have some fence to repair or paint. Then you might be greeted with a warm smile and a hello and not suspicion when I catch you in my fields down by the river. I'll respect your right to tradition if I get shown a little respect. I paid for my place, I pay the taxes every year, and I pay to maintain the fields for my livestock (black Angus cattle) and for my fences. The only way you should feel O.K. about trespassing on my place is if you know me and are friends with me. Period. I may have only lived on my farm for ten years now, but I am no city slicker.
So, this coming year, I will be doing a little experiment. That engineering degree from Auburn might finally come in handy. I am looking into exactly what it will take to amplify an ultrasonic signal. I mean, really amplify it. Say 1,000 watts of 30 kHz. Not only will every dog in the area be rendered completely useless, it will also drive every deer in the area away. Anyway, as I say, I think it can be done and I do love a challenge. Money is not a problem and, what's more, nobody will know what is going on. Human children can't hear much above 20kHz and adults are even worse at about 17 kHz. How can Bubba and Cleatus react to what they cannot see or hear? I've got most of the pieces put together on paper including some really cool tweeter horns for a PA system that go to 27 kHz. Should the field version work well, there is also thoughts of a portable version that would fit in the back of a pickup truck. Did I mention that the signal cannot be heard, felt, or seen? I think the whole thing can be done for under a grand (maybe less). Chump change for a little peace of mind.
Some of you guys seem to feel that you have some 'right' to come on anyone's property any time you like? I guess I have a right to scare off predators with ultrasonic frequencies. Goose and gander anyone?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: vahoundsman

why is it so hard for the idiot with the video camera to understand those two people in his hollywood production werent doing anything illegal or wrong and in fact he is in the wrong.
the topic of discussion for the last dozen or so post have been about his video on u-tube and has nothing to do with tresspassing by the hunters or the dogs,being that they HAVE permission to be on BOTH sides of the road.
Call Isle of Wight Sheriff at 757-357-2151. Ask to speak to a sheriff. Ask what the law is on the distance one can discharge a weapon from a public road. Then get back to me on the legality of their hunt. I'll save you some trouble it's 300 feet. You also can't shoot across a road. Now tell me that the guy on the stump would let a nice buck on the last day sneak out of the woods and bolt across that big open field without shooting. You can play all the "what if" and "it didn't happen" games you want. You know what really goes on during a drive as well as I do. Throw last day into it and honestly answer me back.

Did I call the sheriff on them the day of the hunt to turn them in? No. So back off. This is about visibility and how one sect of hunting's behavior affects us all. They were wrong. They were illegal. No room for discussion or the video doesn't prove a thing or any other excuses. Like I said before it is what it is.

You would think that with all the attention hound hunting has at the moment they would be on their very best behavior this year. This just goes to show that changes are needed and when it comes who's to blame? I do not like driving down a road turning a corner and running into guys road hunting. I don't know these guys nor do I trust them. I shouldn't have to be put into a position that I have to trust them either.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Spike

Did I call the sheriff on them the day of the hunt to turn them in? No
because you got no proof they did anything wrong.........all your vid shows isone adult and one minorstanding along a gravle road,not shooting across it or down it,hell you dont even know if their guns are loaded or not.did you sit down the road and stalk them?do you know if it was the start or the end of the hunt?your first post about this states they were droping dogs off....where? i didnt see no dogs being put in on either side of the road.hell,for all we know they could be still hunters getting ready or ending a man drive.your video proves NOTHING.again,do you have more video?did you watch these people from start to finish?stalking them maybe,conspiring to make them look bad?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

ORIGINAL: vahoundsman

Call Isle of Wight Sheriff at 757-357-2151. Ask to speak to a sheriff. Ask what the law is on the distance one can discharge a weapon from a public road. Then get back to me on the legality of their hunt. I'll save you some trouble it's 300 feet. You also can't shoot across a road. Now tell me that the guy on the stump would let a nice buck on the last day sneak out of the woods and bolt across that big open field without shooting. You can play all the "what if" and "it didn't happen" games you want. You know what really goes on during a drive as well as I do. Throw last day into it and honestly answer me back.

Did I call the sheriff on them the day of the hunt to turn them in? No. So back off. This is about visibility and how one sect of hunting's behavior affects us all. They were wrong. They were illegal. No room for discussion or the video doesn't prove a thing or any other excuses. Like I said before it is what it is.

You would think that with all the attention hound hunting has at the moment they would be on their very best behavior this year. This just goes to show that changes are needed and when it comes who's to blame? I do not like driving down a road turning a corner and running into guys road hunting. I don't know these guys nor do I trust them. I shouldn't have to be put into a position that I have to trust them either.
You and the Sheriff must of had a misunderstanding as I didn't see no Public School or Park in that video.

§ 29.1-527. Counties, cities or towns may prohibit hunting near public schools and county, city, town or regional parks.
The governing body of any county, city or town may prohibit by ordinance, shooting or hunting with a firearm, or prohibit hunters from traversing an area while in possession of a loaded firearm, within 100 yards of any property line of a public school or a county, city, town or regional park. The governing body may, in such ordinance, provide that any violation thereof shall be a Class 4 misdemeanor. Nothing in this section shall give any county, city or town the authority to enforce such an ordinance on lands within a national or state park or forest, or wildlife management area.
(1985, c. 485, § 29-144.5:1; 1987, c. 488.)
[/align]
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Spike

bigbird wrote:This is about visibility and how one sect of hunting's behavior affects us all.
b/s....... what about the visibility of this?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Additionally here are the restriction for Isle of Wight listed as local firearm ordinances. All counties that have a restriction of how far you need to be from the road are stated.

Isle of Wight 8, 12, 35

8. No rifles for big game hunting.

12. It is lawful to use muzzleloading
rifles for game animals in the regular
hunting season.

35. It shall be unlawful to possess outside
of a vehicle, or shoot or hunt
with a rifle, muzzleloader, pistol, or
shotgun loaded with slugs, or to possess
shotgun slugs on Ragged Island
Wildlife Management Area in Isle of
Wight County. In addition, it shall be
unlawful to discharge any firearm
within 100 yards of the boardwalk or
nature trail on Ragged Island
Wildlife Management Area.

As an example of a county that has restrictions on how far from a road you need to be here is suffolk

Suffolk 44, 52

44. East of the Dismal Swamp Line (see
page 10 for definition of line) Rifles,
including muzzleloading rifles, are
permitted for big game hunting when
used from stands elevated 15 feet
above the ground (except legally
handicapped hunters are exempt
from tree stand requirements); no
special early or late muzzleloader
seasons in effect.
West of the Dismal Swamp Line (see
page 10 for definition of line) No
rifles for big game hunting. However,
when hunting from a stand 10 feet
above the ground (except legally
handicapped hunters are exempt
from tree stand requirements) muzzleloading
rifles are lawful for game
species during all open seasons,
including special muzzle-loading
deer seasons.

52. It shall be unlawful to discharge a
firearm or air gun of .177 caliber or
larger within any densely populated
area; within 100 yards from any
structure or within 100 yards from
any public street, secondary road or
highway within the city, except on a
permitted firing range or at or upon
the property of another without permission

Quick Reply: Dog hunting outlaws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.