HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VIRGINIA HUNTERS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/270126-virginia-hunters.html)

1shotkill1993 10-26-2008 07:49 PM

VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Hey guys. I just thought it would be cool if we had a little spot for us to talk about our hunting. Post your rut action, your kill pics, complaints, anything you want here. Ive been wanting a place to see what other people in my area are doing. Also post what part of VA your in, that would be helpful. I myself am in the Southwest part of VA. The Roanoke/Bedford area. Lets get this goin!

coachsteve 10-26-2008 08:14 PM

RE: VIRGINIA HUNTERS

I'm in Roanoke Co., and hunt all over.Getting ready for Muzzle loader coming up.I don't go back to work til Dec. 1so I hope I can Fill my tags with some good bucks this year.

1shotkill1993 10-26-2008 08:23 PM

nice i live in roanoke co. but i hunt in bedford, franklin, botortourt and my backyard:). but how old are you, and not trying to be nosy but what part of roanoke county you live in.

i too am looking forward for muzzleloader this sat. but report cards come out on halloween so i might not get to go [:'(][:'(]. actually if my grades are bad i probly wont be goin anymore this year

coachsteve 10-26-2008 08:25 PM

I'm 41. Live in Hidden Valley area.

HoytSpeed 10-27-2008 05:17 AM

I live in stafford county, bowhunt Quantico...and I'm a member of a hunt club during gun season. I mostly hunt king george, prince william and stafford county. i've been seeing alot more scrapes and rubs lately on quantico and seen quite a few bucks. This week should be a good week. I will def be going out friday morning.

1shotkill1993 10-27-2008 06:50 AM

cool, i hate to hunt public land

bgcorn 10-27-2008 08:15 AM

I am from Patrick Co. VA. 2 hours south of Roanoke. Supposed to be good and cold on Saturday for the opening of Muzzleloader season. After Thursday I am off work for 3 weeks for deer season!

crenshaw 10-27-2008 10:32 AM

Its picking up!!

Sat in the rain on Saturday evening, didnt see a shooter but the little bucks were sparring and stomping around at the does. Its usually a tell tale sign on my property in Loudoun that things could errupt at any time. Gettin pumped!!!

1shotkill1993 10-27-2008 04:45 PM

i saw so many scrapes today. im setting up a stand tommorow for the gun season thats coming up i cant wait

remingtonshooter1 10-27-2008 05:58 PM

hey decided to check this out and i think this is going to be awsome

1shotkill1993 10-27-2008 06:16 PM

k so where you from remmington, and hows it goin in your area. whatcha seein.

wahoohunter 10-27-2008 06:37 PM

Currently in school in Charlottesville but get to travel home some weekends to hunt in God's country in Bath County, Virginia.:D

MDS184122577 10-27-2008 06:40 PM

I am from the Chesapeake area of Virginia ,, but hunt in Suffolk, Courtland, Surry, and Eastern Shore. I have seen minimal rubs and scrapes in the Chesapeake and Suffolk areas i hunt, but it has increased in the last two weeks. Also, i got great reactions from rattling ans grunting over at the the Eastern Shore. Actually grunted one to me and shot him at 10 yards with my bow. I am really looking forward to Nov 5th 6th 7th 8th 11th.....the other days i'll be teaching school

LEE BROWN 10-27-2008 06:50 PM

I'm from Chesapeake also, I'm not a hardcore hunter like some of you but like to go when I can. Already got a button buck this year. I'm thinking about getting a crossbow. I hunt here in Chesapeake, & Ivor.

bushanic 10-27-2008 08:23 PM

I am in Stafford. Hunting just outside of king George on the Richmond county line and this year I am trying to find my way around Quantico and I got a land owner in nova that needs some bucks theres a 2,6,8,10 and a new 12 pointer show up 2weeks ago.(thinned out,they killed all their new trees they put in this summer and that was a lot (some might come back but most are done)they put replacement cost at 1000. or more.

Have not seen any sign of rut yet. today three does were all by them self kept an eye on them off and on till 1130am and then lost sight of them. but it got cold after lunch and rain moved in. the 12 was running around but could not get a safe shoot. then he found a low part in the fence and was gone also has a bad back leg hes not using it.

1shotkill1993 10-28-2008 07:17 AM

nice

HoytSpeed 10-28-2008 09:19 AM

Bushanic, Let me know if you need help with those bucks in NOVA...I'd be happy to help out a fellow hunter! :D

1shotkill1993 10-28-2008 09:24 AM

did yall here about that huge buck killed in quantico? i think it had 26 points

cant wait till this afternoon. goin to put up new stand on a new land that i got permission to hunt on.

the wind is so bad here. i hope it slows down cause i am supposed to go huntin in the morn

crenshaw 10-28-2008 09:27 AM

Calm winds in the morning with temps in the low 30s here in Fairfax. They will be moving hard!!! In Fairfax/Loudoun this is usually the week it all starts for us. I always see chasing on Halloween, the rest of this week looks great starting tomorrow and the moon looks good too.

remingtonshooter1 10-28-2008 03:22 PM

i am actualy from suffolk or the tide water region i have realized the scrapes kicking into over drive lately and i just put out my trail cam tonight so ill hit yall up on that tommorow maybe i also want to apologize to you 1shotkill1993 i wasnt really trying to start anything about the baiting thing i just wanted to know the amount of people who can legally do it actually take advantage of it so im sorry if i made myself seem like a instegater

1shotkill1993 10-28-2008 07:29 PM

dont worry about it...

ChesapeakeHunter 10-28-2008 08:01 PM

I'm from chesapeake, i do a lot of bow hunting and some shotgun. The scrapes and rubs are really popping up now. Hoping to get a certain 8 that i glassed a few weeks ago.

VA BOWHUNTER 10-29-2008 05:32 AM

Good deal. I hunt in Suffolk VA and near Gates Co. NC. It has been a good year for me so far, a doe and freaky racked 5ptr with the crossbow and a really nice 7 (shotgun) with a 18"spread that I grunted in last Saturday in the rain. There are open scrapes everywhere. I will be hitting them hard this Friday, Saturday and again on Monday. Good luck to all. I just finished european skull mounting the 7pt, what a great way to save a buck and still have soemthing nice to remember the hunt.

RockinChair 10-29-2008 07:12 AM

Live and hunt in Millboro- Bath County.

bushanic 10-29-2008 03:30 PM

Hoytspeed, That would be nice but its not that kinds of a place sorry.
It took me 18 years to get the ok to take some of the bucks and if they had not messed up the new trees I would still just be watching and wishing.
I'm just about ready to take one of those fat does if those bucks don't start showing them self. I cant help myself they are just standing there daring me with that look on their face like go ahead and try

HoytSpeed 10-29-2008 04:34 PM

well if things change...I'm your man!!

Good luck!

1shotkill1993 10-29-2008 05:30 PM

cant wait till this weekend muzzleloader:D

remingtonshooter1 10-29-2008 05:44 PM

were you hunt 1shotkill? i hunt in emporia and greensville/brunswick

VA BOWHUNTER 10-29-2008 06:01 PM

Hunted a beanfield near my house with my 5yr old son, 1st time I have taken him stillhunting. We did not even st up until 5:30 becasue I knew he would not be able to sit long. Had a medium sized doe come out into the field. We watched her feed for about 5 minutes and then a small spike pops out about20yds away. He made s small scrape, he was well within range, but we let him walk and watched him chase her all around the field. I was suprised thatmy sonwas not upset that I did not shoot. That spike was trying to work her over, but she was not having any part of it. After a while both deer headed across the field in the opposite direction feeding. I grunted just for the heck of it and they payed absolutely no attention. We did have a deer slip up on us in the woods behind us, but it winded us and heard us whispering, blew about 10 times and walked off. The ones in the field did not even pay attention to their buddies warning. They really did not even look up.

When we walked back in the house my boy started crying. He would not tell me what was wrong for a while, but he finally admitted that he wanted me to shoot the spike. I told him that that buck will be there another year and we will get him when he grows up. He finally settled down and seemed to understand why we let him go. Onlya few more days till muzzeloader!!

SwampCollie 10-29-2008 07:49 PM

I live in Norfolk and spend a little time in Richmond too. Don't really have a place to hunt. Very blessed to have made some good friends over the years, and some new friends in the past year or two that carry me along with them a time or two each week.

I'm grateful to have a place to go, however the results don't really say much... seen little, shot nothing. Girlfriend just got laid off at her work. I'm the sole bread winner now, and that ain't sayin much. Working 11 hour days, 5 days a week and getting to hunt two... but I don't know how much longer that will keep up.

Got a line on a spot I hunted last year in Sussex... but with smokepole and then dog hunting coming along.... well... so much for bowhunting, which is about all the deer hunting I do.

VAhuntr 10-30-2008 06:11 AM

Live and hunt in Henry but also hunt Patrick, Carroll, and Smyth county.

mackesr 10-30-2008 10:51 AM

I live in Orange Co. Va, but hunt mainly in Culpepper Co. You all may have seen my posts about my recent experiences with a new Barnett X Bow that I had bought. It was blowing up strings in my face and I had to send it back to the reseller. I was left with buying another X Bow four days before the season started!! Needless to say I was pretty stressed.I had bought a Tenpoint Titan TL-7, which was similar to the TL-4 that I had sold in order to get that Barnett Predator. Well, the first week I did not get a shot off on anything, but come that second Friday I was able to harvest a spiker. The next day I got an eight pointer. The rack was not that big, but the buck weighed over 200lbs, which is big for where I hunt. At least I was able to make something of the season anyhow. I am now looking forward to Blackpowder this Saturday. Best of luck to everyone.....

1shotkill1993 10-30-2008 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: remingtonshooter1

were you hunt 1shotkill? i hunt in emporia and greensville/brunswick
i hunt roanoke co., bedford, franklin, and botertourt counties

BCarter 11-11-2008 05:09 PM

I am in Franklin County. Hunt mostly private land but occasionally Jefferson National Forest or Fairy Stone Park.
Scrapes Galore!!! Rut is on....

PSE Dream Season
Horton Xbow
CVA 50Cal Elkhorn
308 Remington 760