Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 OK VA boys--this is the weather we have been waiting for this year! >

OK VA boys--this is the weather we have been waiting for this year!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

OK VA boys--this is the weather we have been waiting for this year!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: OK VA boys--this is the weather we have been waiting for this year!

Thats good info. I will have to try that out. I bought someof the hunters specialties wash, and I'm gonna wash everything. So we'll see if that does the trick. I'm also not going to forget my hand saw next time.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Went out Sat morning and only saw two does around 11:00am. They came up out of a creek bottom feeding along. The shot was downhill at a good angle. Actually distance was 27 yards and shooting distance was 21 yards. Shot went right underneath one of them. Went this morning and didn't see anything. Did some grunting and light rattling but to no avail.

Sort of getting frustrated because I am bowhunting in NOVA-Clifton were there are tons of deer and I am not seeing much in the woods. Last year probably had 100 deer sightings within all archery seasons and this year only have seen 8 total deer since the urban opener. The sad part is when I leave I will see 4-10 deer a couple of houses up laying in the front yards. It kills me!!!!! I know they are there but dont seem to have a good reading on them this year. Also I haven't had many acorns fall on the property either. Oaks everywhere but no acorns. I have read everyone else needing a hardhat to keep from getting hit in the head but I can't even find a nut. Funny how that works isn't it. I haven't seen any rubs or scrapes yet either. Last year I saw 10 different bucks from spikes to a really nice 8 pointer, and found a skull of an 11 pointer last Feb. So I now they are there too plus everyone keeps telling me they are seeing a really big buck at night. Hopefully I will see him in the woods then again I would like to just see some more deer in general.

The landowner has also told me that alot of the neighbors are feeding the deer in their yards. I don't think that is helping my situation either. I know it is illegal but I would like to keep a low profile while I am hunting since it is basically a neighborhood that I am hunting in. I have other places to go but Clifton is very close to where I live and my work schedule only allows me to huntthe am or pm, at best a couple of hours.

I will keep at it and hope I can get one down before the muzzleloader season starts. If there is anyone else hunting in NOVA, and I know there is, that is experiencing the same drop me a line. Would like to chat about it and come up with some strategies.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't seen a great amount of deer yet. I saw plenty the first couple days of bowseason, after that its been really slow. I think it was the same way last year for me until around the 1st of november, then I was seeing plenty of deer each time I went out.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

fllips2--my fairfax hunting is almost exactly as you described. the last 3 years -i was seeing at least 3-5 deer 95% of my outings. this year i only see deer about 1 on 4-5 sittings. i hunt on a real small area(1 acre). there are no oaks around my spot. my spot was timbered in the spring so that may be a big part of the limited deer sightings. i have shot some does but i have hunted there at least 15 times so far this year. i saw some nice bucks there in august--but i think they have run into the park to feed on acorns. im hoping that the acorns get eaten up or start to rot to get the deer back over to me.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

My buddy and I both shot a doe on Friday afternoon in the same piece of woods in Fairfax about 200 yds frm each other. It was a great afternoon to be in the woods. The deer were moving everywhere. I estimate that I saw about 12 deer in that one sitting on Friday afternoon.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

saw about 20 does last night and a couple of small bucks, got called out of the woods early for an emergancy. going back out thursday, friday, and saturday.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I plan on being in the woods friday evening before the rain. I'm hoping that the wind is going to be in my favor.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

The 30 degree mornings we have had the past couple days have the deer on the move.Seen more activity the past couple days than in the past two weeks here in southwest VA
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw nothing in 5 hours except a coyote at 20 yards at 5 pm...was a cool looking yote.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

fllips2--my fairfax hunting is almost exactly as you described. the last 3 years -i was seeing at least 3-5 deer 95% of my outings. this year i only see deer about 1 on 4-5 sittings. i hunt on a real small area(1 acre). there are no oaks around my spot. my spot was timbered in the spring so that may be a big part of the limited deer sightings. i have shot some does but i have hunted there at least 15 times so far this year. i saw some nice bucks there in august--but i think they have run into the park to feed on acorns. im hoping that the acorns get eaten up or start to rot to get the deer back over to me.
how the heck do you hunt on 1 acre of land?

Quick Reply: OK VA boys--this is the weather we have been waiting for this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.