HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   First Buck Of The Year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/267793-first-buck-year.html)

CamoCop 10-13-2008 05:54 AM

First Buck Of The Year

well fellow friends, i was able to connect with my first buck of the year this last Saturday (10-11-08) during a muzzle loader hunt. it was about 0800 hrs. when i heard water sloshing around approximately 80 yards in front of me. i was sitting about 30 feet high in a long needle pine tree over looking a marsh. the water averages knee deep and got up to waist deep on me when i walked in at 0520 hrs. i bumped my grunt tube a couple times and i heard the water sloshing again, this time it was getting closer to me. keep in mind, this marsh contained long grass that was about chest high, so i could not see what was walking through the water.

the sloshing stopped several times and i would bump the grunt tube each time to get the animal to keep walking in my direction. after about 10 minutes i saw the buck poke his head up out of the tall grass about 45 yards from me. i could not see the deer's body due to the tall grass, i only observed his neck and head. the buck was looking to the right trying to figure out where the grunting was coming from. i only had a small window to shoot through due to the marsh/swamp being very thick.

at this time i said it's now or never, i put my cross hairs in the middle of the bucks neck and squeezed the trigger. when the smoke cleared the deer was no longer standing there. i did not see or hear the buck run away so i assumed he dropped in his tracks. i remained hunting for another hour and a half (still had a doe tag to fill). at 0930 hrs. i climbed down from my treestand and waded out to where i last seen the buck.

once i got close to where he was standing, i noticed there was a "hole" in the tall grass. i walked closer and looked into the "hole" and there he was, my first 10 point. the buck has a typical 8 point frame with 2 one inch kickers at the base of each antler. after a few minutes went by, i was able to control my excitement and start my 1.5 hour drag. i did have a game cart but due to the terrain i was in, it was easier to just drag the buck.

once i got the buck to the truck, i drove him to the check station to get checked in and tagged. the buck weighed 140 pounds and was aged at 3.5 years. i had the local biologist pull the measurements from his antlers and i plugged the numbers into the Boone & Crocket scoring system. according to that web site he grossed91 7/8 inches with a 15 inch spread. i'll have pictures soon, the only camera i had was a 35mm so i have to get them developed.

i was unable to fillt he doe tag. Sunday morning about 10 minutes untill shooting light i had a buck, alot bigger than the 10 point i shot, chase a doe under my stand. due to the low light, i was unable to shoot that doe. i also passed on a smaller buck the Friday before i shot the 10 point. i have quite a few big bucks on game cams so i did not want to shoot a smaller one. other than that i saw 3 cotton mouths, a softshell turtle and a racoon under my treestand. one of the cotton mouths laid at the base of the tree i was in for 30 minutes. i had to throw sticks at him to get him to leave so i could get down.

Chuck7 10-13-2008 01:04 PM

RE: First Buck Of The Year

Way to go Camo..That is one great story..;)

huntnma 10-13-2008 05:37 PM

woohooo, congrats ....;)[8D]

idunno 10-13-2008 08:32 PM

Congratulations, sounds like some of the terrain where I hunt. Except I don't have the tall grass. Just swampy hardwood bottoms. I hope I can have similar luck this year

DoctorDeath 10-13-2008 08:45 PM

CONGRATS C.C....BUT

dd

Karlos29 10-14-2008 12:04 AM

Great Job..
Cant wait to get to Texas from Las Vegas at Families Ranch..
There is no hunting like Texas Hunting..

guntercb 10-17-2008 08:00 AM

CamoCop,

Awesome! You only have 5 more deer to make you goal for the year! When is the cookout? (-:

My first hunt is planned for end of November. I cannot wait.

Cheers,
Chris

Bloominghunter2 10-18-2008 08:47 AM

did that come from rock springs?

RenaissanceBiker 10-19-2008 12:05 PM

I got my first buck of the year yesterday. It rained all day Friday so the woods were wet, making it easy for me and the deer to move silently. I walked in to some hardwoods and climbed a tree I had picked a few weeks earlier. It looks out over a clear cut that has a big lone oak in the middle. The sun came up about 7:30. At 7:45 a squirrel busted me. He started barking and screaming. He made quite a racket for twenty mintes. I checked my watch when he stopped at 8:05. I just settled in to watch for movement in the tall weeds and young pines all around the clear cut. At 8:20 I saw an antler near the lone oak. Adrenaline rush. The antler had 3 spikes. I figured hewas a six-point that had bedded down next to the oak to be near food. I zoomed my scope to about 7x and saw that he was down in a ditch near the oak. I gave a little doe bleat but he was more interested in his breakfast. He moved and gave me his shoulder, all I could see of him. When I shot he took off like a rocket down the hill towards a creek. I climbed down and walked to the lone oak. I saw a sizable splash of blood on a bush. I waited a bit then slowly followed the blood trail. He didn't make it to the tree line. He was a nine pointer and weighed about 170. Another club member got some pictures and he'll e-mail them to me this week. I'll post them when I get them.

CamoCop 10-20-2008 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Bloominghunter2

did that come from rock springs?
yes.

they shot a monster out of there this last weekend, grossed 121 inches