HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Florida Archers...question.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/254598-florida-archers-question.html)

Chuck7 07-26-2008 05:51 PM

Florida Archers...question..

1. Do you guys think its' necessary to practice your shooting from an elevated stand..?

2..Do you practice with field points or broadheads..?

3. If you've never taken a deer yet in archery..would you take a chance in your monster buck spot..knowing you may spook him for the season b;owing your chance in general gun?

I know my field points shoot much differently than my broad heads..and my broadheads are 3 for 30.00:(My field points groups are decent but my broad head groups ...not so good.
I shoot an older compound ..My field points are consistant with a 3 inch pattern..I'm ok with that..Bu tmy broadheads..about a6 inch pattern..I'm not happy with that.
I shoot a 31 " Terminator Carbon arrow..Any suggestions..I use 100 grains points and broadheads..

n.florida hunter 07-26-2008 06:20 PM

RE: Florida Archers...question..

1. I think that is necessary to shoot from an elevated point if that is the way you are going to be hunting. I have seen where it would change the trajectory a bit so i would say yes sir withou a doubt.
2. As far as practicing with field tips and broad heads I would suggest practicing with both if that is possible. The down side to this is you will need to buy more broadheads unless you can resharpen the ones that you areshooting.
3. I would without a doubt try to get in on him as soon as I could!!! With that being said you need to pay very close attention to the amount of scent you leave while coming and going. I would not be in the area much at all unless it is a must. I have had to learn this the hard way on a couple different ocassions. I think the down side to trying to kill one in the early part of the year is the heat and scent problems that we can run into. But if you are like me the club I am in will pick up with people and traffic. In turn making it hardfer to kill him.
4. Are you shooting fixed blades or mech.'s? If you are shooting fixed blade heads check to make sure that the broadheads are tuned to the fletching. I have had a problem with fixed blades before that the head wouldn't stay tight on the ferule creating a similar type problem, also added noise in the equation.

jbowersox 07-26-2008 07:29 PM

If you're broadheads aren't grouping with your fieldpoints you have some bow tuning to do. Broadheads amplify any tuning problems that you have. It probably would be some minor rest adjustments to get it right.

bugsNbows 07-27-2008 12:09 PM

1). Definately... if you are going to be hunting out of one.
2). You MUST practice with broadheads before heading into the woods.
3). If you are bowhunting to shoot a deer you owe it to the animal to be accurate and deadly. If your chosen broadheads don't fly correctly, you may need some fine tuning (or possibly to switch heads). There is no reason why your accuracy with BH and field points can't be top notch even with an older bow. Do you spin test once the BH's are put on? If not, you should. There are lots of variables to consider.

bryant1 07-28-2008 07:27 AM

1. Yes i do, although i don't do it near enough.
2. Mostly field points. I shoot a broadhead at varying yardages to make sure i am dead on a couple weeks before the season.
3. Yes, because our rut coincides with 9 day muzzleloader season. He could be 10 miles away by that time chasing does. Last year i was hunting a really heavy 7 point that i saw twice during bow season and couldn't get a broadside shot either time,so i decided i would back out of the spot andtryhim during muzzleloader season. I never saw him or got a picture of him again the whole season, I suspect someonekilled him. Lesson learned here, I should havekept hunting him

floridabucks 07-28-2008 07:44 AM

1. On occasion. My backard does not allow for it though so I only get to practice at elevation if I make the trip to teneroc. I have found however, that as long as I am bending properly at the waist, that my bow shoots exactly the same from an elevated position and that I don't need to adjust at all.

2. Strictly field points until a couple of weeks before the season. Too ewxpensive to practice with broadheads all the time.

3. Yes, the buck you are after could be long gone or taken by another hunter by the time gun season rolls around.

Chuck7 07-28-2008 09:49 AM

so I only get to practice at elevation if I make the trip to teneroc.

How much does it cost to shoot your bow at Tenoroc..Does the 3 D cost extra??

Thanks..C7
PS Thanks for the advice..

FLboy77 07-28-2008 01:53 PM

1. yes
2. both
3. yes I would takethat chance