HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Questions about North & South Carolina (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/252607-questions-about-north-south-carolina.html)

MichiganWhitetails74 07-12-2008 08:01 PM

Questions about North & South Carolina

Possible transfer from my job to NC or SC...

I'm pumped up about the move south where most of my family is now...not to mention the people and weather.

I'm a passionate hunter that grew up in Michigan and have some questions...

I would be located somewhere near Fort Mill, Mount Holly, Charlotte, High Point areas.

What are the bag limites in NC and SC for deer?

What is the pig hunting all about? Boar? Ferral hog? I have no idea ...so I'm going into this blind...looking for some pointers...thanks!

nchawkeye 07-12-2008 08:33 PM

RE: Questions about North & South Carolina

In NC the bag limit is 2 or 4 bucks, depending on the area you live in...Either the Charlotte area or High Point would be in the 2 buck area../

Last year, we had unlimited does for the 1st time, free btw...Previously we could kill up to 4 does...I expect it to be the same this season...

MichiganWhitetails74 07-13-2008 06:35 PM

I have heard and assume hunting with dogs is a "Type" of hunting that is done....Is NC like Michigan...stand hunting over hard woods, beans, beats, corn...I assume so right? Not against the dog thing though...I keep and open mind and would love to do it...

JakeinTX 07-13-2008 08:40 PM

Hogs with dogs is a blast. Having grown up in Michigan, hunting down south for the most part is similar but with hog hunting you will have a BLAST! You might hunt hogs with a large caliber pistol one week, a bow the next and dogs the following week. With dogs, you might catch them alive, or stick them with a knife. Either way hog hunting is very addictive!

Have fun,
Jayson

farmcntry 07-15-2008 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I have heard and assume hunting with dogs is a "Type" of hunting that is done....Is NC like Michigan...stand hunting over hard woods, beans, beats, corn...I assume so right? Not against the dog thing though...I keep and open mind and would love to do it...
Only a few counties in NC allow hunting deer with dogs. The rest of the state is stand hunting.
You'll love what $40.00 can get you each year.
In my county I get:
2 bucks
unlimited does
2 boar
1 bear
2 turkeys
and all the small game and predator hunting I want.
For a short drive from my county you can get into feral hogs the rest of the year.
And that price includes your fresh water fishing license.

MichiganWhitetails74 07-15-2008 07:55 PM

I gotta get south. Will a nice yankee like me be accepted into the inner circle of hunting[:-]:)

NCRemington700 07-15-2008 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I gotta get south. Will a nice yankee like me be accepted into the inner circle of hunting[:-]:)
I don't know about that!! We got enough Yankees down here already! :D Pretty soon everyone from NJ and NY will be down here and we'll head up there...wait a sec...it's too damn cold for that. Nevermind!

You're on huntingnet, you're good to come South!

NCRemington700 07-15-2008 08:24 PM

Oh, and dog hunting(for deer) is fading out. Most places that run dogs now are few and far between...and most of those are the clubs.

MichiganWhitetails74 07-15-2008 08:34 PM

Thanks Remington...Maybe we'll hunt some day...I'll video it :)

drs1961 07-16-2008 06:17 AM

And for SC, depending on what part of the state you go to hunt, buck season starts Aug. 15 and runs nonstop through Jan.1, that's right four and a half months, and there is no limit on bucks! Doe tags become legal Sept.15 through Jan.1. You can buy up to five of those and there are around adozen more doe days with a two per day bag limit in Oct. Nov. and Dec. Any good, friendly hunter is welcomed.