Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws? >

any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

ORIGINAL: rafsob

ORIGINAL: Swampdog
BTW in Va.if you shoot a deer on your land and it runs to another persons land and dies YOU can go retrieve your game as long as you don't have a weapon.If that person does not let you call the DGIF and a officer will ****** you to retrieve your kill ,if the land owner still does not like it they will take him to jail.
I liveandhunt in Va. and I have never heardthat onebefore. What is your reference on this subject? I think it shouldbe only fair to let youdo this. If it is true, I would be happy and I guess I just learned something new.
Swampdog, I think you need to show me that regulation, never heard of any law that allows you to trespass to retrieve game.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's called "The Right To Fair Chase" Seeing's how according to The Communistwealth of Va. No individual OWNS any game animal they belong to everybody in the state same thing with fish in a stream just because the syream runs through your land does not mean you own the fish in it.If 10 deer are on my land I don't own them I might just be their landlord...........Any way I personally have had a Gamewarden ****** me on POSTED land to retrieve my deer.I carried no weapon.Also I ain't no city slicker.For your information I was born in a little place just up the road from Hillsville Va. called Dugspur Va.Believe it or leave it alone .Make no difference to me.To my long time buds here dis regard that.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

I have been trying to stay out of this one .But this big bird cat has made it tough. I sometimes hunt with friends that run dogs,Most times I Hunt from a a stand.Some of my best deer came when the dogs went through and 'ol big horn came sneaking in from behind them.Lots of times I have been in the tree half of the day but when I hear dogs aways off I know there is going to be action (most likely).I absolutly have no use for some one who would shoot another persons dog just because it crosses their land.Trapping one is worse .If a person came down to my neck of the woods with that purpose they would most likley be left in the trap themselves. Shoot my dog and you don't want to know what will happen to you.BTW in Va.if you shoot a deer on your land and it runs to another persons land and dies YOU can go retrieve your game as long as you don't have a weapon.If that person does not let you call the DGIF and a officer will ****** you to retrieve your kill ,if the land owner still does not like it they will take him to jail.

I was always under the impression that you hadto have the landowners permission to retrieve game. If you look at the 4th question down on the "FAQ" section from the VDGIF it seems to support my assumption:

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/q-n-a.asp
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have a problem with a landowner who would not allow someone to retrieve a game animal from their property. This is assuming that the deer did in fact cross over property lines after it was shot and not shot across the line.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe they changed it in the last few years if so sorry my mistake.We had a problem wirh a guy whose house was next to our hunting land .He just had a problem with his neighbor,which in turn bled over to us.He wanted to buy the guy's land but our bud would not sell. Any way the old man died ,we lost our land so now the guy leases the same land to some rich doctors and lawyers from up north.He would actually come on our lease and try to run us off before he had any jurisdiction.But his sons were O.K. Go figure.I wonder what happened to "The Right To Fair Chase" though?I still don't go for hurting some idiots dog .Do things right or don't do them at all.That includes the doggers and the anti-doggers.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr
I was always under the impression that you hadto have the landowners permission to retrieve game. If you look at the 4th question down on the "FAQ" section from the VDGIF it seems to support my assumption:

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/q-n-a.asp
Thanks Vahunter, I was under this rule myself. I just didn't know for sure do to the rules changing on a constant basis. I do agree on the fair chase though and would also have a problem with a landowner that didn't let me get mydeer.

I also think that remark about city slickers was uncalled for!If that is the manner in which you respond to posts, I would remember what most fathers told their kids: "If you don't want people to know how stupid you are, don't open your mouth and confirm it!"
Old 07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rafsob
"If you don't want people to know how stupid you are, don't open your mouth and confirm it!"
Amen!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I would have a problem with a landowner who would not allow someone to retrieve a game animal from their property. This is assuming that the deer did in fact cross over property lines after it was shot and not shot across the line.
I used to have a problem with my neighboring folks crossing over to retreive game -- disrupting my hunt, leaving trash, and "tracking" game with no blood trail while carrying a shotgun (and not wearing orange).

We now have an understanding (after getting the sheriff involved) -- if the deer is not down and in sight from his side of the boundary, he'll call my cell phone and either speak with me or leave a message. The intent is safety -- I don't want him walking "willy-nilly" through my woods. Brush is think, and especially during gun season, bullets carry beyond sight. Likewise, he'll wear orange (duh) and if he loses the blood trail, he can call me and I'll help him look. It basically became a reciprocal agreement -- not that I was tracking game on his land without permission. Now if only I could get him to stop emptying his shotgun at running deer we could cut way, way down on tracking wounded deer across the county!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Vulture6

I used to have a problem with my neighboring folks crossing over to retreive game -- disrupting my hunt, leaving trash, and "tracking" game with no blood trail while carrying a shotgun (and not wearing orange).

We now have an understanding (after getting the sheriff involved) -- if the deer is not down and in sight from his side of the boundary, he'll call my cell phone and either speak with me or leave a message. The intent is safety -- I don't want him walking "willy-nilly" through my woods. Brush is think, and especially during gun season, bullets carry beyond sight. Likewise, he'll wear orange (duh) and if he loses the blood trail, he can call me and I'll help him look. It basically became a reciprocal agreement -- not that I was tracking game on his land without permission. Now if only I could get him to stop emptying his shotgun at running deer we could cut way, way down on tracking wounded deer across the county!
Glad their not my neighbors!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Regardless of what anyone thinks, change is coming for the dog chasers.

Quick Reply: any wordAny word on Virginia's new dog laws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.