Citrus WMA Question >

Citrus WMA Question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Citrus WMA Question

Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Citrus WMA Question

What we realy need on some of the forums is a WMA report by people in those areas....and a Florida Deer Hunting 101! I have hunted all over (USA and Europe)...and none is like what the Florida Deer hunter must understand and do! AMEN!! I've hunted MIssouri and Maryland..and Florida WMAs are 20 times tougher..not to mention the snakes and gators
I just let most of the Wise-A$$ go and don't say much.....but they seldom kill a deer or hog unless they run over it at night!
Many buy a rifle and scope that would be great out West (or some rag writer suggests) and then climbs a tree in Florida and blows up good meat at 40 yards! .....or can't get the moving game in the high power scope). that was my problem twice last year..[X(]I've now taken the scope off and need to sight in my new tru glo sites..for my 30-30
Florida scrub/swamp country is excellent for brush guns and shotguns....as in the past! We are not supposed to advertise here, but take a look at Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs,com) and let's pump up this forum with useable information.
Regards, James
do you carry any in hollow point? 12 guage
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM

When it comes to 12 ga ammo...for rifled or smoothbore barrels...the worst situation is soft swaged slug/bullets that overexpand! What is needed is a slug/bullet that is cast hard and heat treated that will penetrate deep (as with big wild hogs) and break tough green bones...after all the slyg/bullet is already .730"! But that's another story!
We are seeing more and bigger hogs in remote areas....not the little feral knots some see. In parts of coastal areas and along our rivers....there is a hog population eaplosion...two litters a year. That are competing with deer for available food. Many WMA are now allowing hogs to be taken during small game season...great for the hunters!
However, there are few hunters that score because they just do not undersatnd how to hunt hogs. If you see a lot of rootig, the hogs ahve moved! They wander all over the place. On the coast or near by, they move to the salt flats to eat red fiddlers on the full moon!
Regards, James
Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7
do you carry any in hollow point? 12 guage
Here you go Chuck!

http://www.israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?p=30878
Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Reb..
I saw his site earluer..and did not notice any hollow points..what he has s real hard heavy slugs..which will probably knock us on our butts..or dislocate a shoulder..
Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

James,

I agree I have a .280 and I doupt I will take advantage of it in Florida. Though when I bought it I was hunting soybean fields of South Carolina and there it shines! I hunt a couple spots where I might get a 100 yard shot if the deer is just right, but I would bet that 96% of my shots at game in Florida WMA will be under 40 yards! Yikes, that is getting into archery range!

Chuck,

I don't think you need a hollow point. With over .5 inch frontal area (.730 per James) a 12 gauge slug is amazing. It will bring down deer faster than anything else I have shot. I have taken deer with slugs and they just crumbled in place.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM

I like the .280!,... great rifle for the bean fields around Orangeburg, South Carolina....been there! On the otherhand, in the brush..... nothing beats a big bullet at a moderate velocity!
Regards, James
Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

James,

Need a little Florida Hog hunting info. You mentioned if you see rooting, then they have already gone. What is the best way to hunt the critters? I have killed two so far but I was hunting deer and they were cruising through. Just pure luck
Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

James,

Need a little Florida Hog hunting info. You mentioned if you see rooting, then they have already gone. What is the best way to hunt the critters? I have killed two so far but I was hunting deer and they were cruising through. Just pure luck

Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM

Excellent link! I can add some thoughts though! First of all...hogs do not stay in one area long. When the feed is gone (see rooting on the link), they have moved to anaother feed area. Alll of the pictures on the link are great....but show where hogs have been, but they may not be there on your hunt. Too many new hunter set up there stand, looking at hog rooting, only to watch it dry out!
If you hunt an area over a period of time, you will learn where that hogs are going from one area to another....then get ahead of them. When the acorns are falling, find a remote feed area and wait! If you are along the coast during full moon...pick a low tide period and hunt the edge of the salt flat....they love red fiddlers. If pushed, they will swim to the coastal islands! Just after the first frost, take a walk into small planted pines....watch for rooting, pushing up Red Root. They will stay there longer....and return each year after the first frost to get those roots! If you are hunting in a new place that still has a good acron fall....set up your stand and throw a couple of cans of cheap sardines out. A hog can smell them for a half a mile if the winds right....and they will come. If legal, save your fried fish oils, dig a hole about a foot deep and pour the oil in. Set your stand, but it will be late, just before dark, when they come. If legal in your area....wrap a burlap bag around a small tree, tie it tight, and pour some oil on it that you have saved from the last time you changed your truck's oil. If legal in your area...take a 5 gallon putty bucket full of corn, and water, one cup of diesel, and 3 packs of rasberry Kool-Aid. Stir a nd let it sour....pour that in a smallsandyhole. they will come to that and wallow out a deep place...late and early!
You will find, and kill, more hogs rambling around feed areas, than just sitting...if you have scouted out potential feed areas. The hogs lay up in the middle of the day....like on palmetto flats. Ease through these in the middle of the day. On real hot days they will move to water and wallow.
Remember always that a hog is governed by their gut! Find the feed and you will find the hogs!
Just some random thoughts....James
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

If you are along the coast during full moon...pick a low tide period and hunt the edge of the salt flat....they love red fiddlers. If pushed, they will swim to the coastal islands!

I have seen that many times in Taylor, Jefferson and Wakulla counties west of #98.....
set up your stand and throw a couple of cans of cheap sardines out. A hog can smell them for a half a mile if the winds right....and they will come.

I use to do that while Coon Hunting and hogs would smell it and come in close.....
You will find, and kill, more hogs rambling around feed areas, than just sitting...if you have scouted out potential feed areas. The hogs lay up in the middle of the day....like on palmetto flats. Ease through these in the middle of the day. On real hot days they will move to water and wallow.
Remember always that a hog is governed by their gut! Find the feed and you will find the hogs!

In 50+ years of hog hunting, I have never hunted hogs from a stand....Stalking orOver Dogs. When stalking always under 100 yds and with dogs knife or side arm.....

Quick Reply: Citrus WMA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.