South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Citrus WMA Question

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Citrus WMA Question

I was wondering why you used turpentine..now I know..it's made from pines..[:-]

turpentine

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | Date: 2008
turpentine yellow to brown semifluid oleoresin exuded from the sapwood of pines, firs, and other conifers. It is made up of two principal components, an essential oil and a type of resin that is called rosin . The essential oil (oil of turpentine) can be separated from the rosin by steam distillation. Commercial turpentine, or turps, is this oil of turpentine. When pure, it is a colorless, transparent, oily liquid with a penetrating odor and a characteristic taste. It contains a large proportion of pinene, a compound from which camphor is manufactured. Turpentine is obtained in large amounts from several species of pines of the SE United States;that's where we live at..its physical properties, e.g., boiling point, depend on its source. It is used chiefly as a solvent and drying agent in paints and varnishes.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM

I knew you fellows rung true! I was born in Sumter County, worked all my life for the gun companies, retired to Old Town and opened Dixie Slugs. Maybe we all can get together before Fall!
Most of my hunting now is in the river swamp and coastal islands for big hogs. Still do a little deer hunting. My baby brother hunts deer in Jumper Creek, Croom, and Richloam. Does good, but we have hunted those areas for years.
Keep in touch! Regards, James
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd love to meet ya James and just listen ...I'm an elementary teacher in Polk County..I've only hunted the Green Swamp and Kicco once..I've hunted the Green Swamp hard forthe last 6 years though.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

I knew you fellows rung true! I was born in Sumter County, worked all my life for the gun companies, retired to Old Town and opened Dixie Slugs. Maybe we all can get together before Fall!
Most of my hunting now is in the river swamp and coastal islands for big hogs. Still do a little deer hunting. My baby brother hunts deer in Jumper Creek, Croom, and Richloam. Does good, but we have hunted those areas for years.
Keep in touch! Regards, James
Sorry James, have never fired a Dixie Slug!I started shooting BRI's (Ballistic Research Institute)back in the 60's and continued after Winchester bought their design. Have also shot Federal's BRI design...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

I was born in Sumter County,

I have very goodfriendsin Bushnell
Maybe we all can get together before Fall!

Would really like to
My baby brother hunts deer in Jumper Creek, Croom, and Richloam. Does good, but we have hunted those areas for years.

My friends know Jumper Creek like thier back yard!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

Oh Yes....watch the squirrels and squirrel cuttings around the oaks....no squirrels, no acrons...no acorns, no deer!.....jcg
100% agree!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

I sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

PM answered..
Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I hope we can all meet up..Chris is a good ole boy too.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:48 PM

What we realy need on some of the forums is a WMA report by people in those areas....and a Florida Deer Hunting 101! I have hunted all over (USA and Europe)...and none is like what the Florida Deer hunter must understand and do!
I just let most of the Wise-A$$ go and don't say much.....but they seldom kill a deer or hog unless they run over it at night!
Many buy a rifle and scope that would be great out West (or some rag writer suggests) and then climbs a tree in Florida and blows up good meat at 40 yards! .....or can't get the moving game in the high power scope).
Florida scrub/swamp country is excellent for brush guns and shotguns....as in the past! We are not supposed to advertise here, but take a look at Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs,com) and let's pump up this forum with useable information.
Regards, James

Quick Reply: Citrus WMA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.