Citrus WMA Question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Citrus WMA Question

Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Citrus WMA Question

Dixie Slugs,

I think you are right. I believe Croom actually has a lower man days per deer killed than Citrus. But I also believe all WMAs are great if you know the spots!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Hunting WMA's can be good if you understand what happens to the game as there is hunting pressure. You can scout before season, find lot's of sign, but after the first shot on opening day the deer change threir feeding areas and feed more at night. Florida being in the sub-tropics has feeding cycles different. And....deer do not move as much during the day. That is why dogs and standers were used in years past. If there are Bush Acrons in the dense planted pine, the deer will not more from those areas.....and the hunters can do well by slow walking with buckshot. Windy days the deer lay up in very dense areas and it's very hard toget them up. There is little browse and acrons are the prime food. Find the food and you will find the deer....it's just that simple. Ground blinds are just as good as tree stands stands today. Simple scents like turpentine works better than the exotics. Pure vanilla and peanut butter are also excellent. The old timers would stand in the smoke of camp fires, smoke their clothes good, before getting on the stands. Contrary to what many think, cigar, pipe, and cigarette smoke does not spook deer....but human pee will.
Also, Florida has a very long rut! In the morning human scent rises as the sun heats up the woods and in the aftrenoon scent stays close to the ground as the woods cool off. Misty days are excellent hunting thick areas.
I have seen deer lay up within shooting distance of treestands all day. Use road traffic to your advantage! Look over the dense scrub oak areas first. The deer in Citrus will move after a cold rain!
Just some thoughts!
Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs
Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting WMA's can be good if you understand what happens to the game as there is hunting pressure. You can scout before season, find lot's of sign, but after the first shot on opening day the deer change threir feeding areas and feed more at night. Florida being in the sub-tropics has feeding cycles different. And....deer do not move as much during the day.Amen to this...last year..I walkedin...watched a doe walkby..She blew loud as she detected me..I had got there..at 5:00 AM GreenSwamp.. I tried using my Primos 'Can" but it kept hangin up..Then at 10:00 AM I tried once more and the 'Can' rang out perfectly..in 15 minutesthe biggest buck of my life stands up from bedding..He had been there the entire time not more than 25 yds away MAX...Ofcourse he was standing toward my back..after 30 seconds of standing he took off.YEP he smelled me..and I was 14 feetup.That is why dogs and standers were used in years past. If there are Bush Acrons in the dense planted pine, the deer will not more from those areas.....and the hunters can do well by slow walking with buckshot. Windy days the deer lay up in very dense areas and it's very hard toget them up. There is little browse and acrons are the prime food. Find the food and you will find the deer....it's just that simple. Ground blinds are just as good as tree stands stands today. Simple scents like turpentine works better than the exotics. Pure vanilla and peanut butter are also excellent. THANKS!! and how do I apply the vanilla or turpentine...I need help with my scent..I've been winded everytime.[:@][&:]The old timers would stand in the smoke of camp fires, smoke their clothes good, before getting on the stands. Contrary to what many think, cigar, pipe, and cigarette smoke does not spook deer....but human pee will. ya the pee thing might be getting me..[&:]
Also, Florida has a very long rut! In the morning human scent rises as the sun heats up the woods and in the aftrenoon scent stays close to the ground as the woods cool off. Misty days are excellent hunting thick areas. Thanks man..
I have seen deer lay up within shooting distance of treestands all day...yep me too..Use road traffic to your advantage! Look over the dense scrub oak areas first. The deer in Citrus will move after a cold rain!
Just some thoughts!
Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

Appreciate it man...I usually try and pick the mind of old timers or expereinced Floridians..I apptreciate you sharing the info with us..I am gettign better..I actually saw 9 deer from my stand last year..but failedto get any..I did get an Osceola turkey though..

Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

Congrats on the Turkey! That is awesome. I assume you took him at Green Swamp?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2739473

Here's the link Chris..
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Chris..did you get a muzzleloader.permit.for Citrus..??
Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 AM

I suppoes I qualiy for an Old Timer since I will be 74 in October. But, I still hunt the big hogs in the river swamps. Many of the scents that you can buy are strange to Florida deer...and turn then off big time! Natural scents like pine (or turpentine and wood smoke) or natural F;orida scents. You can but turpentine in bottles....works good also for redbugs. High scents like most soaps, shaving lotions, hair tonic are bad. If yoy camp, throw a piece of fat wood on the fire and smoke your clothes. WE you start to walk in, wipe some turpentine of you boots and legs. Keep it simple! Peanut butter smeared on the trees around your stand is good. Make up some cotton balls with pure vanilla (not the artificial) and drop a couple around your stand or on the ground out from your ground blind. Keep the cotton balls in a ziplock bag. Watch your wind. In the morning, as the woods heat up, scent rises uphill and in the evening scent goes down hill. That's why it's better to hunt the bottoms in themoring. These thoughts are simple! Find the food! Water oak acorns,although not the deer's favorite, last longer on the ground....late season hunting. Live oak, scrub oaks, and bush acorns rot fast and are good for early season. Forget the Florida browse...it's tough by Fall. Watch for wildfriuts, except citus. Grapes are good for Bow hunting amd maybe MLing time. Sign in late Summer only means there were deer there in late Summer....again, Feed the food! Go deep in the blocks!
Just sime thoughts!.....Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs

Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Oh Yes....watch the squirrels and squirrel cuttings around the oaks....no squirrels, no acrons...no acorns, no deer!.....jcg
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

I suppose I qualify for an Old Timer since I will be 74 in October. But, I still hunt the big hogs in the river swamps. Many of the scents that you can buy are strange to Florida deer...and turn then off big time! Natural scents like pine (or turpentine and wood smoke) or natural F;orida scents. You can but turpentine in bottles....works good also for redbugs. High scents like most soaps, shaving lotions, hair tonic are bad. If you camp, throw a piece of fat wood on the fire and smoke your clothes. WE you start to walk in, wipe some turpentine of you boots and legs. Keep it simple! Peanut butter smeared on the trees around your stand is good. Make up some cotton balls with pure vanilla (not the artificial) and drop a couple around your stand or on the ground out from your ground blind. Keep the cotton balls in a ziplock bag. Watch your wind. In the morning, as the woods heat up, scent rises uphill and in the evening scent goes down hill. That's why it's better to hunt the bottoms in themoring. These thoughts are simple! Find the food! Water oak acorns,although not the deer's favorite, last longer on the ground....late season hunting. Live oak, scrub oaks, and bush acorns rot fast and are good for early season. Forget the Florida browse...it's tough by Fall. Watch for wild fruits, except citrus. Grapes are good for Bow hunting and maybe Killing time. Sign in late Summer only means there were deer there in late Summer....again, Feed the food! Go deep in the blocks!
Just some thoughts!.....Regards, James @ Dixie Slugs
James......... soundslike we are from the same school!I will be 69 in August and ran hog dogs in Fl for 45+ years..I have hunted 95% of all the Fl WMA's and hundreds of private acreage.

I learned many years ago in Wakulla county from an old hunter in his 80's about rolling up my hunting clothes with slivers of fresh Lighter Pine as a cover scent. As you also mentioned, smoked clothing from sitting around the camp fire at night. FL deer and hogs are accustomed and familiar with that scent.

Man, I could go on and on talking about the old days......What we need to do is meet and have some coffee while we reminisce about the old days or lunch on me..........Chuck and I have met a couple of times....

EDIT: BTW, bryant1is from Perry and knowswhere the club isI use tobelong to in Madison, FL....
Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck and I have met a couple of times....
REbel Hog.

and I look forwatf to meeting you again as well as some of these other ole timers and newbees as well. need to smoke my clothes up ..I can handle that..I can get some peanut butter too..

Quick Reply: Citrus WMA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.