Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Citrus WMA Question >

Citrus WMA Question

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Citrus WMA Question

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Default RE: Citrus WMA Question

I stay @ holder mine and it always has spots open.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM

I grew up in the area. The best hunting is South of Stage Coach Rod, walk in behing Stage Pond...James
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Dixie,
Maybe next time you can PM me..there are 1,000s that read these post.
Chuck7
Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

I grew up in the area. The best hunting is South of Stage Coach Rod, walk in behind Stage Pond...James
I have hunted that area before.......South of the cemetery.....
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

So far only 286 have read this post. I don't think you have to worry that all of them will be South of Stage Coach Pond. (-:

Chris
Old 06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Spike

I spent 15 + years hunting Citrus, from 1982 to 1998 when I left Florida for God's country in Tennessee. I always camped at Holder Mine primitive area and met some fantastic people, had great times. I was lucky enough to alway hunt the archery draws and then the follow-on open hunts. I focused on the Muzzle loader permits for the either sex opportunities. I hope this does not ruin anybody's secret spot (formerly my secret spot), but if I ever hunt there again I will hunt between 12 and 14 right off 581. There is (was) a walk-in trail mid-way between 12 and 14 and you used to be able to park off of 581 right at the head of the trail. On both the North and South sides of this trail (before you hit the forest road that cuts ot the south), there were dry bottoms that ran East and West. These bottoms were again about half way from the walk-in trail to 12 and 14 respectively. I found the deer used these bottoms heavily to travel across 581 when the pressure came in from the interior road #5. I never went home empty handedon archery or muzzle loader hunts, and the entire time I hunted Citrus (other than a few excursions to the Rock Mine/behind Stage Pond), I never hunted anywhere but this one zone between 12 and 14. We would put on drives during gun seasons and run deer like bunny rabbits! Good luck, that map brought back wonderful memories, thanks Rebel![/align]
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

For me. the history is sad indeed! As a young man, I belong to a deer camp that camp on Charlie Dean's pastue ....beside Citrus. In those days there was no hunting inside the reserve. Any afternoon, you could ride through and see as many as 40 deer, including bucks. Then came the day they opened it up for hunting. Three gates were opened and over 900 deer were killed befor that could stop the crazy killing of bucks, does, and even late year fawns. There they clear-cut a lot of the area!
There are still many deer, but nothing of the number and size as before. Back then the area served as a breeding ground for deer that spread over Citrus, Hernando, and Sumter counties. Te best hunting now is where the deer moveout to adjoining private land when the area fills up with trucks and people!!!! And....hunt the hardwood bottoms where they feed on acrons....nothing for them to eat on pine trees. Watch for the small bush oaks with long black acrons....deer favorites!
Regards, James
Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Chris..
Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Slugs

For me. the history is sad indeed! As a young man, I belong to a deer camp that camp on Charlie Dean's pastue ....beside Citrus. In those days there was no hunting inside the reserve. Any afternoon, you could ride through and see as many as 40 deer, including bucks. Then came the day they opened it up for hunting. Three gates were opened and over 900 deer were killed befor that could stop the crazy killing of bucks, does, and even late year fawns. There they clear-cut a lot of the area!
There are still many deer, but nothing of the number and size as before. Back then the area served as a breeding ground for deer that spread over Citrus, Hernando, and Sumter counties. Te best hunting now is where the deer moveout to adjoining private land when the area fills up with trucks and people!!!! And....hunt the hardwood bottoms where they feed on acrons....nothing for them to eat on pine trees. Watch for the small bush oaks with long black acrons....deer favorites!
Regards, James

Beenmany times........This is the last time I was there!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Another excellent area is Croom, both sides of the river. More oaks on the Sumter County side....Regards, James

Quick Reply: Citrus WMA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.