Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Citrus WMA Question

Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Citrus WMA Question

Hey Florida Hunters ,
. I got a couple questions for ya.

A.I noticed the only check station is pretty far north of where I plan to hunt. Does a hunter have to go through the check station to hunt or only if you are checking out game?

B. How is the hunting pressure during muzzleloader season?

Thanks alot.
C7
Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Citrus WMA Question

you do not have to check in and out every day like some w.m.a.'s. it's pretty much like ocala, you only have to hit the check station to check in a deer. i always hunt the late muzzle loader season and the pressure ain't too bad. citrus is only hard to get in during the first hunts. last year i harvested a 4 point during the second muzzle loader.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I really apreciate the reply Camo..I've put in for the Nov. 26th and 27th muzzleloader hunt since we are on Christmas vacation then..I've been studying the map on Google Earth.It's looks to be about 133 miles from my home to the first camp....I've been studying the map for a long time and plan to hunt the thick oaks area.

All those roads appear to make it hard to get away from the crowds. Congrats on that 4 pointer..

I plan to take 98 to 301 back to 98 and get off on Brittle Road..From there go to the camp straight up Brittle Road . If you plan to camp there I'd liketo meet ya. Since I'm off all summer I plan to make one drive uip there and scout an area or 2 that appear to look good on the satellite pictures. I need to call that number in the brochure and see what I need to do to camp..I only plan on taking a small tent. I'll be hunting by myself.

Congrats again on that 4 point..Any buck in a WMA is truly a trophy.

Chuck7
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

the camping situation is done with an "iron warden". when you get there you go to the "iron warden" pull an envelope and place your money in it and tear off the attached piece and keep it with you. if my memory serves me right, it's only a couple bucks a night for the primitive camping and more for the full service camping side. i think there is 2 camp grounds. the one i stay at is huge with plenty of camping spots.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Dominant Buck

the camping situation is done with an "iron warden". when you get there you go to the "iron warden" pull an envelope and place your money in it and tear off the attached piece and keep it with you. if my memory serves me right, it's only a couple bucks a night for the primitive camping and more for the full service camping side. i think there is 2 camp grounds. the one i stay at is huge with plenty of camping spots.

That was very helpful advice Camo..I was planning to stay at the camp on Brittle Road..which is in the south part of the WMA.
I appreciate the feedback.
C7
PS if ya need help in finding Osceolas next spring..I can do that for you.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Spike

fyi - if you plan on camping at tillis hill call in advance and make a reservation to reserve your spot. Call at least 30 days in advance. It fills up fast.

The other 2 campgrounds - Holder Mine, This is first come first serve. Park your camper in your spot and go fill out the form.

There is another camp a few miles to the south I do not know the name of that one. It is the same setup as holder mine.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GotLucky

fyi - if you plan on camping at tillis hill call in advance and make a reservation to reserve your spot. Call at least 30 days in advance. It fills up fast.

The other 2 campgrounds - Holder Mine, This is first come first serve. Park your camper in your spot and go fill out the form.

There is another camp a few miles to the south I do not know the name of that one. It is the same setup as holder mine.

i believe Holder Mine is the one i stay at and it is absolutely huge. i have never seen it more than 10 - 15 percent filled.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.floridaconservation.org/hunting/wma/2007-08/North-Central/Citrus.pdf

Yes sir..Holder Mine campsite is right off of 581,,on the uppper east side of Citrus..
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

It has been a while. I hope all is well.

The group I hunt with camps at Holder Mine.

When are you going to go up and scout? There are many roads so you can get access easy and I think it helps to spread out the hunters too. When you scout pay careful attention to hunter activity. You want to find a spot with good sign and little hunter activity. I have a couple of spots like that there, but I have also scouted up there a bunch last spring.

I am so ready for season to begin.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: guntercb

Chuck,

It has been a while. I hope all is well.

The group I hunt with camps at Holder Mine.

When are you going to go up and scout? There are many roads so you can get access easy and I think it helps to spread out the hunters too. When you scout pay careful attention to hunter activity. You want to find a spot with good sign and little hunter activity. I have a couple of spots like that there, but I have also scouted up there a bunch last spring.

I am so ready for season to begin.

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: Citrus WMA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.