HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   1st Gobbler.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/240227-1st-gobbler.html)

Chuck7 04-01-2008 06:20 AM

1st Gobbler..

I'm cleaning my turkey..I'll post story later..Still shaking and thanking God..:)

18 pounds
1 inch spurs
9 inch beard.
3 inch Remington nitro 4 shot
870 Remington
Green Swamp..
Primos The Freak call.

Chuck7 04-01-2008 07:24 AM

RE: 1st Gobbler..

After a 1 1/2 mile hike into the swamp..I hear for the first time EVER ..the gobbling of a male turkey..I built a quick camo blind..and got out my Primos Freak..I returned the gobble with some yelping..After about 25 times of going back and forth..mixing mine with some cutting..it seemed his gobbles cam e from 100 yds to now within 50 yds..My gun is now up..It's been along 45 minutes of calling..then I spotted a dark shadow and then it disappeared..My shotgun is now on my cheek..and my eyes are clued..I see the turkey ducking and weaving through cypress trees..I've never shot the shells which I have in my gun.They are #4 Remington Nitros..About 25 yds out he steps into a 3 foot wide opening.I squeeze the trigger..he falls down dead.I had about 10 pellets in the neck aea..and only one in the breast..

I can't beleive it..:DI hike back and the man at the gate does the measuring..my wife and I just got done cleaning it..5 packages of breast meat and legs and carcass for the soup pot.
God is wonderful andI thank Him for setting me up .I wasn't even goingto go..but I kept feeling the inward urge to go..and I'm glad I did,;)
C7

Jim_IV 04-01-2008 08:19 AM

Great bird there Chuck, Congrats

teno157 04-02-2008 06:47 PM

Great Job! Still hoping for mine, It's going to be an early morning headed of to bed!

Chuck7 04-03-2008 12:21 AM

Thanks fellows..

bugsNbows 04-03-2008 02:20 PM

Very nice Osceola. Congrats.

floridabucks 04-03-2008 06:36 PM

Great bird Chuck! I'm jealous to be honest with you. Heading out there in the morning. So... are you aturkey hunter for life now after hearing that gobbleron his way in???

coolbrze0 04-03-2008 07:58 PM

Nice bird, congrats!!!

Chuck7 04-04-2008 02:08 AM

Thanks to all for your kind replies

Great bird Chuck! I'm jealous to be honest with you. I understand..;)I was jealous over all the deer I seen hanging last year when I was driving out of the swamp..Heading out there in the morning. So... are you aturkey hunter for life now after hearing that gobbleron his way in???
Yes sir..I'm hooked..I love that gobble. Let me tell ya a story about yesterday's hunt.

I hiked a good 2 1/2 miles straight back into the swamp..and man did I find some big deer scrapes.;)anyway I hunted my butt off but heard nothing,,As I hike back I can see my truck parked by the road.about 40 yds...I hear yelp yelp yelp ..I'm thinking ..those hunters sure are hunting awful close ot the road.:eek:When Iarrived at the road , I didn't see no one's vehicle but my own and I realized I just walked past a flock of turkeys.[:-]Time was about up though anyway..1:00 is closing time.;)
[align=right]
[/align]

floridabucks 04-04-2008 11:46 AM

Ha ha those turkeys can be anywhere. I'm having a bit of trouble locating the birds this year. Went in blind this morning and heard nothing; I did see a good sized hog though. So I came out and went in at a different spot off main. I hit knee deep water not even a quarter of a mile in, and waded through it for several hundred yards only to come out by the road because it curved around. Rough morning!

I did hunt a 3 day quota at Croom, lots of birds and gobbling but I just couldn't get them to cross the fenceline onto public property. Had gobblers in easy shot distance.. they were just on the other side of the fence on private land.