Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting in NC

Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Hunting in NC

Howdy all,

We're discussing a move to the Raleigh, NC area soon. I've been a Turkey and Deer hunter here in Wisconsin for years but was wondering what I can expect for hunting in NC.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Default RE: Hunting in NC

Hope you're not disappointed. As far as body size and weight, you guys around Wisc. probably have bigger and heavier does than our bucks. Just kiddn' I don't think its that bad. I think we have a pretty good herd but like alot of places I think our doe population is way out of balance. I do think you will notice a big difference in body size though. I have never hunted out your way but from what I hear and see it is very common to see 200+ lb. deer. That is not common here. I think N.C. has great potential to start seeing some great deer, I just think we need to get a little more management minded. In my opinion and its just my opinion, thereseems to be bigger bucks in the central part of the state or maybe even towards the western part, but the eastern part seems to have the numbers.(That is only what I think)There does seem to be plenty of deer around and that has not always been the case. Back in the early to mid 80's I just about quit deer hunting all together and started duck hunting only. There were not many deer around here then. Good Luck
Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are a deer hunter, it will be a good move, we had unlimited doe tags this year...If you are an antler hunter, you will be dissappointed...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Our bow season is the best....I live in western NC About 3-4 hours west of Raliegh. The deer hunting is much better in other parts of the state. Well that depends on what you would call better. What makes our bow season good is the length of it. Labor day to Thanksgiving approx. (early sept - mid nov.) We have some good deer around and lots of public lands to chase them on. For me, I want to go north to see if its what its cracked up to be. Yes Im sure the deer are bigger in other parts of the country. But having learned to hunt in the mountains they offer things that you ll have to see to apriciate. As wolfpack stated our body size I believe is much smaller. If your looking for numbers ....go one more state south. SC has the numbers!!! Many guys I know as well asmyself hunt SC. If youve never hunted in the low country you need to ...just to see what its like to set in the stand on Aug 15th with a rifle. The season down there runs from aug 15 to new years (rifle season)
Turkey hunting I believe is as good as any where.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

NC is not known for big deer with big racks, you can check the record books for that. Now the Raleigh area is better than Charlotte I can tell you that. Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Spike

The deer around the Raliegh area are pretty small bodied. Numbers are there, they just don't get very big. A big buck runs 150-175lbs. Good luck! Hope you like it better there than I did.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

NC isn't known for big deer, but there is alot of deer to be had!Ihunt Johnston, Hertford and Bertie Counties, the last two are full of deer.Thelarge deerpopulations are in the northeast part of the state including Northampton, Halifax, Edgecombe, Bertie, Hertford, and several more. Some nice deer are taken, but nothing like up north, however there are exceptions. You can go to www.ncwildlife.com and see the harvest reports for each county.That should give yousome insight and an idea of what our state has to offer.

Also BTW,we have good weather, the mountains and the beaches to enjoy!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

We moved to the Winston Salem area back in November from Washington state to help take care of my parents. I've talked to several guys in different Sporting goods stores about hunting in the state and they all told me that you either need to join a hunting club or know somebody with land. Is this true? Is there any public hunting lands worth going to? Anybody need a hunting partner?

In His Service,
Reid
aka WARedBear
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plenty of public land throughout the state and because of the clubs and many people not looking for or needing land you can usually find some areas that recieve relatively light pressure.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

More specifically click on Hunting/Trapping then click on the maps link towards the top of the page.

-Maps (Here is a link)

Once on the page linked use themap below and click on the area you are interested in(the pic here will not link but the on on the site will). There are also some PDF files you can link to and gameland books available from the state. Also if you are active duty, retired, or DOD there are some Militray installments you can hunt, I don't think they are listed on the State site but some may be.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just south of Winston, I usually luck up on land but it takes legwork. Raleigh has a ton of deer but same as here, you have to do some legwork and find some connections. BTW if I can help any of you guys with any taxidermy work....

www.nctaxidermist.com

Quick Reply: Hunting in NC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.