predator hunting >

predator hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

predator hunting

Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Spike

Default predator hunting

anyone doing any predator hunting in va? If so how r you hunting them @ night or during the day?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: predator hunting

Both. Went last weekend might go this. Didn't see anything though.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

How do you hunt them in the day?
Have any of you guys tried any of the fake rabbits with an electronic call?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have been out a few times this year. I'm up to 6 gray fox. We called in three coyotes but haven't been able close the deal. I usually don't hunt much when the moon is full.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

How do you do it? I can't get anything to save my life!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I think the biggest thing is call areas that hold predators. I have wasted lots of time blind calling areas. I look for certain things when I'm hunting new land.I find it hard to explain to people but I can usually look a piece of land tell if it will hold fox. Wedon't have many coyotes around here is I target fox and hope that coyote will show. If you find coyotes you probably won'tfind fox. My favorite set-up for fox is cutover land that is between 5-10 years The thicker the better. It must also hold prey. I willhunt loggingroads or fields next to thick areas.

I usually start with a prey sound like a rabbitin distress or a bird distress.I will start at lower volume and increase the volume slowly. I will end the stand with a gray foxdistress. I have a Foxpro FX5 caller that stores200 sounds. I only use a handful of sounds. When a predator gets close I will mute the call.

When I night hunt I use a lightforcespotlight. I scan the entire stand. Just use thehalo of the light until you are ready to shoot. Set upas close to cover as you can. Keep at it. If you need more help send me a PM and we can exchange email.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Spike

Well guys went to a friends place in cumberland last nite.Decided to try to do some fox hunting.Went an set up in the middle of his cut over in a box stand.Played the rabbit in destress call for about 5mins . Boy did things happen quickley.We had about 4 or 5 foxes come in at the same time .We ended up taking 2 greys. it was a great nite .when i can figure out how to get the pics off of my phone i will post them.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM

Limb hanger. Anytime you need any help out there let me know. I live out in Chesterfield, and it wouldn't take me too long to get to Cumberland. What kinda guns were ya'll using?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went to my friendsplace in Ilse of Wight last saturday. We tried in the afternoon and came up empty handed. He has a neat rabbit that sits on a pedistal and turns around and wiggles. His electronic caller has a greatcottontail call. We climbed up into our deer stands and could see for at least 150 yards in all directions. I am getting hooked on this hunting. I will have to start looking forother places to hunt.

Did have a good time in theam doing crows. We used an electronic caller andthey kept comingin. We plan on doingit again next saturday.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to Southampton tomorrow and next Sat. There is couotes in the area, family dog was attacked and the folks on the edge of the land have seen them around. I hope that they are ready to play tomorrow.

Quick Reply: predator hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.