HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Green Swamp Update.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/227778-green-swamp-update.html)

Chuck7 01-17-2008 07:01 PM

Green Swamp Update..

Well.
I've been gone fora spell .Let me give you the run down on the fall hunting..

While hunting with Chris once..I saw a doe and a yearling
by the river..

I went back in that area...about a mile deeper..I'd been there before. I saw a doe..and at 10:15 called in a huge buck..about a 20 inch spread..long times..He was behind me and I've never shot left handed before..I was praying he would continue walking..He didn't 15 yds behind me he stomped his hoof and fled.I was SO DARNED DEPRESSED I WENT HOME TO BED!![:@]

I then went to Powder and saw 4 in one sit..The next day I saw one more big deer ..I saw no horns so I didn't shoot.

So , my season was exciting..to say the least..
C7

huntnma 01-18-2008 03:52 AM

RE: Green Swamp Update..

definately exciting :)

Chuck7 01-18-2008 05:17 AM

Huntnma,
I was seriously thinking About you when I saw that deer..I remember you saying I was going to get a big deer this year..

Here is what happened..I went to a place where I had saw a huge silouette last year..I already had the area tacked out..It was in a thick hammock within a mile of the river ;)
enough hint..LOL At 7:20 a small doe appeared out of nowhere about 10 yds from me..She looked , stomped and blew..I could of sworn I heard a light grunt after she blew..3 hours later will confirm I hgad heard a grunt..:(

Anyway..my "Can " was hanging up...I had already used it twice but it sounded sick..I read 6 chapters of God's Word..I said."Lord, it would be really neat if you would send a buck my way." I was concerned how easily the doe saw me and turned my Summit 45 degrees..WRONG!!!! So my back was toward the direction the deer would b ecoming.WRONG!!

At 10:00 o clock ..God as my witness ..I gave one more "Can " bleat..It sounded perfect..10:15 ..Behind me I heard what sounded like a baby squirrel. I slowly glanced behind me..

OH MY GOODNESS..th efollowing is the truth..I saw a huge deer in the opening..His head is looking straight..His rack is wide between 18 and 20 inches wide..He had between 8 and 10 points about 7 to 8 inches high..My entire chest was BEATING HARD..my prayer..Please God..don;t let this buck stop walking..I thought about Huntnma..maybe she was right..My thumb pulled the hammer back..The deer couldn't see me because the bay tree was behind my back.

He stopped..for about..30 lond seconds..I then heard 2 hard stomps..He retreated and in 2 seconds disappeared..

I was EXTREMELY DEPRESSED>>and still feep bad..
After talking with the pros,,,when he was walking I should have LEFT handed quickly put ehe cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger..From now on at the range..1/2 my shooting will be left handed..Diffently a Florida Registry buck/

God bless,
C7

Chuck7 01-18-2008 05:56 AM

And one more story..
After I messed that area up I decided to hunt a spot where I had called in a spike with the "Can" a couple years ago.and kill it..It was already tacked up. When I arrived..loads of rubs and tracks..I slowly went up the tree making zero sounds with my Summit...Later what happens prove I was quiet..There is only one tree in this area..It's in a horse shoe shaped area of 3 atached cypress domes..I left the calls at home this time..At 10:15..I heard what sounded like a hog in those 4 foot high bushes with purple berries {What are those?} I turned around READY this time..standing up and hammer back..it was a young yearling..been bedding the entire morning 50 yds from me..Then, I saw 2 mature does follwoing the little deer. I scoped them but saw no spikes..THEN at 100 yds one 2 deer ran and 1 hid in the cypress and blew, blew and blew..I scoped her but diffently no horns..Five minutes later I glanced to my right and saw a big bodied deer.Probably a buck but his head was hidden..and he eventually disappeared in the cypress..

NOW FOR THE EMBARASSMENT!![&:][&:][&:]The next day..Bill at the gate said "You need to get comfortable shooting left handed..SO I climbed my same pine tree...At 7:10 AM I told myself."Nothing is coming so aim at hat white dot on that cypress tree 100 yds away.." WRONG!!!!as I swung my 30-30 Marlin around a huge deer bolts about 50 yds from me through the cypress dome on my right..:([:o]Yep..I'm sick..I saw no rack because he was bustin gBUT the deer was a good 160 pounds..Same solo deer I saw the day before..

So this was a year to learn from..
1. Climb higher
2. Don't move/
3. If you see one..don't blow the opportunity..the odds..you won;t see that deer again.

GOOD NEWS SCOUTERS...the WMA brochure has printed boldly that you can carry concealed weapons in the WMAs now..I found some HOT spots better than my other spots BUT would not go there during archery..too snakey..I will now.:)This place looks like a gymnasium for hogs and whitetaill..I've already made my shooting window for next year's archery..I sent away for rmy concealed weapon's permit 2 days ago..Remembe,r folks who have been in the military or taken a Hunter Safety course DO NOT needto take the classes.
God bless,
C7

floridabucks 01-20-2008 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

GOOD NEWS SCOUTERS...the WMA brochure has printed boldly that you can carry concealed weapons in the WMAs now..I found some HOT spots better than my other spots BUT would not go there during archery..too snakey..I will now.:)This place looks like a gymnasium for hogs and whitetaill..I've already made my shooting window for next year's archery..I sent away for rmy concealed weapon's permit 2 days ago..Remembe,r folks who have been in the military or taken a Hunter Safety course DO NOT needto take the classes.
God bless,
C7

So Chuck, you are saying that since I was required to take a hunter safety course that I can just send away in the mail for a concealed carry permit? Hunter safety doesn't really have much to do with concealed carry of a firearm.

Rebel Hog 01-20-2008 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: floridabucks

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

God bless,
C7

So Chuck, you are saying that since I was required to take a hunter safety course that I can just send away in the mail for a concealed carry permit? Hunter safety doesn't really have much to do with concealed carry of a firearm.

For more information on these classes, click here.
(Return to Top of Page)

7. What are the qualifications to be eligible to be issued a Florida CCW Permit?
• You must be a citizen of the United States OR you must be deemed a lawful permanent
resident alien by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly INS).
• You must be 21 years of age or older.
• You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
• You must be a non-felon.
• You must take a recognized Firearm Safety Class given by an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
(such as ours) and get a Certificate of Completion with the instructor's signature and NRA
Certification Number on it, OR furnish proof of being Active Military or Honorably Discharged
Military (e.g., furnish a DD-214).

Chuck7 01-20-2008 05:22 PM

I just sent my stuff off for one..

Step one..go to sheriff's department..get application. Also..get your finger prints done while there 5.00

Step two..Go to a Walgreens..get a passport photo made 9.00

Step three...fill out the one page applicatin

Step four.. make a copy of your Hunter Safety course..it proves you are knowlegable on handling firearms..

Step..five..get a notary to stamp and watch you sign the application

Step six..Make a check out for a 117,00 YOur permit will be good for 5 years..Send it off ...:)

Pretty simple huh:)It mentions on th eapplication that your Hunter Safety Course will do instead of taking a class.

floridabucks 01-21-2008 06:01 AM

Wow guys (chuck and Reb), thanks for the info!

Chuck7 01-21-2008 06:21 AM

Your welcome...I got the info from another hunting forum..
I called Tallahassee to verify that my army papers were enough,,,DD-214 .they were...While reading the application I noticed a Hunter's safety Course was also suffice. Once I saw the Green Swamp brochure had made that clear..general rule @2..I pursued the permit...I plan to buy a Chief Smith and Wesson 38..It's a 5 shot revolver that fits nicely in your pocket..My Ruger 357 is too heavy and bulky.

Chief Smith& Wesson 38

guntercb 01-21-2008 07:18 AM

Chuck,

Man you had a real mixed season. It is awesome you saw a good number of deer and a nice buck, but what a bummer not getting the buck!! If you were another mile deeper in the woods you would have had a nice drag to get that deer out. That spot we went to was far enough to have to drag something. I hope you had your wheel barrow.

I agree with you three pointers, but some of the areas I hunted this year I had to hunt about 14 feet off the ground so I could see. If I went higher I was above some branches and could not see. )-: I always like to get as high as I can (assuming the wind is not blowing).

That is neat on the CWP. I was about to suggest you get a .357 and shoot 38 in it for reduced recoil and carry .357. But if the .357 are that much more bulky than I would get the 38. You have to have something that is light enough to carry because it does no good at home. (-:

Are you going to do some turkey hunting?