South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

WMA Poll

Old 12-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WMA Poll

i normally hunt over 9 Wildlife Management Area's alone...lol. about the only perk to my job is having 3 days off every week. so i try to get to the woods and hunt atleast 1 day a week. not to mention i scout ALL year, not just a few weeks prior to hunt'n season. yesterday i froze my rear off in a treestand for 9 hours in O.N.F. according to my trucks rear view mirror thermometer, it was 28 degrees yesterday morning.

but to clarify my given answer a little...in larger w.m.a.'s like Green Swamp, Ocala, etc. i'll have scouted more than 15 different stand locations. this is so i don't get patterned by the game animals and so i don't "stink" up the area's. everytime you hunt the same stand your chance of bagging a deer from that stand diminish due to your scent and impact on that area. there are some w.m.a.'s i hunt that aren't big enough to have that many locations OR the given hunt days are limited to only 3 day hunts. also in heavily pressured area's it's better to move around alot because the deer are constantly changing their patterns in compensation for the added pressure being placed on them. in another words, just because i patterned the deer all summer in one spot....doesn't mean they will continue that pattern throughout the entire hunt'n season.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

CamoCop,

That is aweseome that you hunt over 9 WMAs along. Wow! I have only hunted two WMAsthis year. You are correct that the deer don't stay in there patterns. I also agree that having many areas is much better to keep game from patterning you, but I don't have as much time to get in the field. )-: Oh well, maybe one day.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunt'n season is almost over now, so i'm looking for sales on more game cams and scouting supplies. the first week hunt'n season is over, i'll be in the woods scouting for next year
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

CamoCop,

I wish I had your schedule!!! I kind of want a game cam too, but I am worried about theft. Good luck scouting a killer spot!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i lock mine to the tree with a cable and lock. if someone wants it bad enough they can cut the cable with bolt cutters or destroy the game cam casing by tearing the cable out of it's plastic ears. if they did this, the case would surely leak and the cam would no longer be useful. i would hate if mine got stolen but it's not taking any pic's of deer in my closet at home either.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:45 PM

B i find spots with buck sign and i hunt them untill i see how big he is or kill him or someone else does. then i go to the next spot and repeat untill season is over. the wma i hunt has about 17 gun hunts daysa year.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

d+ 5400 acre WMA and I use most all of it.