Running Dogs In VA >

Running Dogs In VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Running Dogs In VA

Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Running Dogs In VA

I used to have problems with deer doggers on my land, but admittedly, after a rather strong confrontation last year (2006) that involved law enforcement (but no charges), I had very few problems this year. This year there were two encounters, one with collared dogs driving deer through my property --- hey, stuff happens --- and one with a stand hunter on a dog drive trespassing. I pointed out that he was about 100 yards over the property line and he apologized profusely, took his rifle (and shotgun), said that he'd let everyone know about the boundary and left by the most expeditious route. Compared to incidents of the previous decade, this was welcome relief.(He was even courteous when Isuggested that he should be wearing some form of blaze orange.)

I guess we've reached an understanding. And in this case, the deer doggers are trying to police their own and comply.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

...Oops
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Double Oops!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hycohounds

first off, as a dog hunter- i want you to get pictures,tag numbers anything you can to stop the slob hunters. they are making it hard on us ethical hunters. secondly, i disagree with the concept that dog hunting is easy. when i get in the mood to kill deer i go still hunting. its alot easyier to sit in a tree or shooting house and wait for a buck to stick his head in a corn pile..................tony
Agreed, even though it's illegal in VA to bait I know by trailcam pics I could set corn out whenever and the 8 pt I'm chasing at my grandfather's land. I'd to see someone who calls dog hunting easy to... pick the spot that you think the deer is going to cross, get there before they let the dogs out, move to cut-off the dogs, shoot something running about 20-30 mph at times,and then get to the deer before the dogs get it,all with your heart pounding 100 mph. Then come back and talk to me!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bryant1

As a doghunter to other doghunters i havesome suggestions-

buy e-collars and train your deer dogs with them. It will drastically drop the complaints in the surrounding areas from private property owners. If trained correctly, these dogs will stop to a whistle or blown horn and wont cross into land where they dont belong. Almost my whole crew have trained our dogs with e-collars and our hunting is more productive and efficient with easily caught dogs. If we take away the numbers of complaints of private landowners, they will probably not have a problem with us anymore. It is a small price to pay(along with tracking collars)to keep our doghunting tradition alive.The dogs are smart and easily trained,they justlove to run deerand and dont want to give up easy.

Another suggestion is think before you put dogs out! Dont put dogs out in highway-adjacent blocks or blocks bordering private land. This is the best preventative measure to keep them off of private property. Respect others property rights,repect everyone'sway of hunting,and be ambassadors for our sport and not a bad example.
Best post I've seen on this thread.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM

Amen Bryant1! If everyone hunted like you, there wouldnt' be any dog study group now. If we had kept a closer eye on the jack-#$## that poached and trespassed, we wouldn't be fighting for our dogs now. I, for one, will turn in anyone who trespasses, dog or still. I'm tired of the crap. What really pisses me off is the idiots who still hunt in the highways. They stand there 15-20 hunters with blaze orange and guns and pretend they are catching their dogs. Just wait until someone gets killed. Who are the victims gonna sue. VDGIF,the Govenor, the focus group, or us. What good is a focus group if they don't stop the road hunting. I'd join the Virginia dog alliance if they would speak outagainst road hunting, and talk about the positive things instead of bitching all the time. Just my thoughts

Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you shoot a big buck and you find blood going on the next guys piece beside you,do you go and get your kill???? Not talking about the as*es that turn out on your proprty, but if a dog chases a deer 2 miles on your piece or across your piece, your telling me that that is arogant? how? and by the way anyone who thinks dog hunting in va is in trouble are sadley mistaken(straight from the game warden) they have these hearings to appease some of the cry babies out there. Others I know arnt cry babies like the ones who catch hunters turning out on their land I can understand your frustration.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

deerdogdude..........Were not cry babies......were home owners......land owners.....still hunters that don`t want you or your dogs running all over our private property screwing up our hunt........Stay on your land and control your dogs and none of us will have a problem.......and i`v talked to two Game Wardens from two different parts of the state and both have said BIG CHANGES in the regs are coming......i`d like to see 1000 contigous acres in order to hunt with dogs........
Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brewman555

deerdogdude..........Were not cry babies......were home owners......land owners.....still hunters that don`t want you or your dogs running all over our private property screwing up our hunt........Stay on your land and control your dogs and none of us will have a problem.......and i`v talked to two Game Wardens from two different parts of the state and both have said BIG CHANGES in the regs are coming......i`d like to see 1000 contigous acres in order to hunt with dogs........
No matter what we say about the negative aspectsof our experienceswith dog hunters, they don't understand that there are others inthe woods hunting. It is allabout themand their heritage. Wellslavery used to be apart of their heritage andthat hasbeendone awaywith thank God. I am tired of hearing about heritage!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brewman555

......i`d like to see 1000 contigous acres in order to hunt with dogs........
why? would that make a difference to you if the dogs came off 1000 acres instead of 500?lol.

Quick Reply: Running Dogs In VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.