Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Running Dogs In VA

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running Dogs In VA

ORIGINAL: 3sheets

Here is the actual law (as it exists today):

Right of certain hunters to go on lands of another; carrying firearms or bows and arrows prohibited.

Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs pursuant to this section and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

3sheets
That is correct andthe post belowis on pg. 5 of this very thread:

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Actually it is very possible. You just have to know your state laws and in VA a dog hunter can go on private property to retrieve his dog as long as he is not armed (without asking a soul), he can use a vehicle to retrieve his animalsonly with landowner or agent permission. A dog hunter can retrieve his dogs from road right of ways(meaning he can drive around the roads and call his dogs to him).

I am notsaying they are the best laws but they are the laws. What some are calling trespassing is actually legal by VA law.That being said I do know there are lotsof actualcases of trespass as well buta man walking(unarmed) on your land to get his dogs or his dogs being on your land is not trespassing.

Starting ahunton a piece of landthat borders private propertyis not illegaleither but starting a hunt on someone elses private property is illegal, what I mean is if they start beside you and run across theydidn't break any law. Like I said I know itis not perfect and probably is part of the reason behind some of the questioniarres(sp?) and things VDGIF hads been sending out but as it is right now many still huntersdon't like dog season because of theinterference, aggravation but often no laws are actuallybeing broke.

From VDGIF:

Hunting With Dogs

[ul][*]Dogs may be used to pursue wild birds and animals during hunting seasons where not prohibited.[*]When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or archery tackle on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
[/ul]
Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a dog inthis hunt (?), pun intended. I'm sorry guysI had to lighten up theatmosphere in this thread.

I lovedogs and used todoghunt for rabbitsinNY state with my dad and uncle. I don't though like using them fordeerhunting. My only problem with them is they end up onsome one elses private property. Butthatstill doesn't bother methatmuch, butthe attitudes the dog hunters do.

I had to badge oneonce for coming onto my friends property with a gun. I only badged him after he gota nasty attitude with me about his rights to recover his dog. Itoldhim thatif hedidn't go back tohis truck and put the gun away,I would arrest him for trespassing. He bitched a bit, but did as hewas told. That is my problems withdog hunters.

I guess you could say that there are quite a few idiots likethe one I mentionedthat screw itup for the honest dog hunters.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't worry dogger69, this topic will be back next year, and probably a time or two before then. It is one of the biggest hot topic threads available and it seems over the past 6 or 8 years it has averaged 3 or more arguments a year..
Old 01-20-2008, 10:05 AM

From behunting14 I just want to say that this is the last time that I am going to write in this forum or any forum on this topic. I guess you could say that when it comes to this topic, I was looking at the small picture to my left when the big picture was directly infront of me. Over the years our ancestors have workedto create freedoms and rights that other counrties donot have.Whenwe start takingaway different rights, where does it end.For many people hunting with dogs is a way of life and just because it is not my way of life, does not give me the right to put it down. If a hunt club is having a problem with one person or a few people breaking game laws, they need to take care of the problem within the hunt club along with the game warden. Hokieman, it is clear to me now that you have donehe has done your homework on this topic when I clearly had not. Also, I want to apologized to the people that created this forum, I'm sorry. I want to end this post by saying good luck to all.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:06 PM

I wanna start this off by saying I didn't read through all 10 pages, so what I say may have been brought up. Sheets3 is right that in Virginia dog hunters may go on other peoples properties to retrieve dogs without permission, but may not carry a gun without permission from the land owner. Having 1000 acres will not guarantee the dogs will not leave the property. We lease nearly 5000 acres, and that plus the Appomattox river will not keep the deer or dogs from leaving our land and going into another county. The only way to stop them would be build a fence, and it's illegal to fence wild animals for the purpose of hunting. It's not intentional, but there's nothing we can do to prevent them from leaving. It's up to the deer where they go once jumped. Now intentionally letting dogs out on somebody elses property is illegal, and you should get pictures, and license plate numbers for anybody you see doing it and report them. Trespassing, and poaching (hunting an animal where it is illegal such as somebody elses property) should carrymore than a $500 fine. Generally in Virginia it results in a 2 year loss of your hunting license and loss of all vehicles and weapons usedif I remeber right.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I think you have it backwards behunting14. You must live in the only part of the state that does it the wrong way. No club around mine has any problems. In fact, there probably wouldn't be a problem with hunting with deer dogs if it wasn't for idiots like you. If you didn't know, not everyone going on others' land is a "pothunter", it is legal to retrieve your dog on others' land if you don't have a gun or car. So, when your rabbit dogs go on others' land how do you get them back? I'm sure they're not super-special and don't go on posted land? Does this consider you a "pothunter"?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a doghunter to other doghunters i havesome suggestions-

buy e-collars and train your deer dogs with them. It will drastically drop the complaints in the surrounding areas from private property owners. If trained correctly, these dogs will stop to a whistle or blown horn and wont cross into land where they dont belong. Almost my whole crew have trained our dogs with e-collars and our hunting is more productive and efficient with easily caught dogs. If we take away the numbers of complaints of private landowners, they will probably not have a problem with us anymore. It is a small price to pay(along with tracking collars)to keep our doghunting tradition alive.The dogs are smart and easily trained,they justlove to run deerand and dont want to give up easy.

Another suggestion is think before you put dogs out! Dont put dogs out in highway-adjacent blocks or blocks bordering private land. This is the best preventative measure to keep them off of private property. Respect others property rights,repect everyone'sway of hunting,and be ambassadors for our sport and not a bad example.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Spike

Next time I deer hunt the club property I'll bring the digital camera and take photos of the idiots setting the dogs free on property they do not have access too.[:@]
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take the photos to the game wardens and get them to do something about it.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

first off, as a dog hunter- i want you to get pictures,tag numbers anything you can to stop the slob hunters. they are making it hard on us ethical hunters. secondly, i disagree with the concept that dog hunting is easy. when i get in the mood to kill deer i go still hunting. its alot easyier to sit in a tree or shooting house and wait for a buck to stick his head in a corn pile..................tony

Quick Reply: Running Dogs In VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.