Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Running Dogs In VA >

Running Dogs In VA

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Running Dogs In VA

Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Running Dogs In VA

Gosh, it is just amazing how many guys there are out there who only get out to their deer stand one day out of the season and at that exact time the deer dogs come running thru driving every deerout of that county.I guess its always just bad timing[]
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I am a day late and a dollar short but here goes---I have NO problem with people running dogs...just keep them off the places I hunt that do not allow them or want them...pretty simple.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

It's also amazing how fast the dog hunters get angry if any other hunter is on thier "Hunt Club" land. Go out one day and put a climber on "Hunt Club" land and see how fast they are on you. It's a different story if you interupt the dog hunt. Actually, it's not too amazing that the guys that only have a day or two seem to see the dogs every time out, because they usually hunt on the weekend and the dogs run every weekend of hunting season here in VA.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

the difference is that you don't hear a bunch of dog hunters calling for the banning of stand hunting or criticizing all stand huntersbased on some instances of trespass by those who choose to hunt that way.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM

It's really very simple. It's impossible to dog hunt without trespassing, plain and simple. You can however stand hunt wihtout bothering another man's property rights or intefer with another man's hunt. The solution to this problem is now being addressed, and those who trespass are very upset. Outstanding.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: reswire
The solution to this problem is now being addressed, and those who trespass are very upset. Outstanding.
In the words of an 8 year old... Well, duh!!!! [8D]

The rogue deer doggers brought it on themselves. Granted, there are some guys who run dogs who are nice, respectful, and do not bother anyone. Those guys need to speak up and speak out against the road hunters and trespassers.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: reswire

It's really very simple. It's impossible to dog hunt without trespassing, plain and simple. You can however stand hunt wihtout bothering another man's property rights or intefer with another man's hunt. The solution to this problem is now being addressed, and those who trespass are very upset. Outstanding.
Actually it is very possible. You just have to know your state laws and in VA a dog hunter can go on private property to retrieve his dog as long as he is not armed (without asking a soul), he can use a vehicle to retrieve his animalsonly with landowner or agent permission. A dog hunter can retrieve his dogs from road right of ways(meaning he can drive around the roads and call his dogs to him).

I am notsaying they are the best laws but they are the laws. What some are calling trespassing is actually legal by VA law.That being said I do know there are lotsof actualcases of trespass as well buta man walking(unarmed) on your land to get his dogs or his dogs being on your land is not trespassing.

Starting ahunton a piece of landthat borders private propertyis not illegaleither but starting a hunt on someone elses private property is illegal, what I mean is if they start beside you and run across theydidn't break any law. Like I said I know itis not perfect and probably is part of the reason behind some of the questioniarres(sp?) and things VDGIF hads been sending out but as it is right now many still huntersdon't like dog season because of theinterference, aggravation but often no laws are actuallybeing broke.

From VDGIF:

Hunting With Dogs
[ul][*]Dogs may be used to pursue wild birds and animals during hunting seasons where not prohibited.[*]When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or archery tackle on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. [/ul]
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see why that law will be changed. It states you have special rights to go on other peoples private property if you are a coon hunter or fox hunter and can retireve dogs.

It's just common sense, if you can't keep your hunting contained on property where you are welcome, it will be stopped all together.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Actually it is very possible. You just have to know your state laws and in VA a dog hunter can go on private property to retrieve his dog as long as he is not armed (without asking a soul), he can use a vehicle to retrieve his animalsonly with landowner or agent permission. A dog hunter can retrieve his dogs from road right of ways(meaning he can drive around the roads and call his dogs to him).

I am notsaying they are the best laws but they are the laws. What some are calling trespassing is actually legal by VA law.That being said I do know there are lotsof actualcases of trespass as well buta man walking(unarmed) on your land to get his dogs or his dogs being on your land is not trespassing.

Starting ahunton a piece of landthat borders private propertyis not illegaleither but starting a hunt on someone elses private property is illegal, what I mean is if they start beside you and run across theydidn't break any law. Like I said I know itis not perfect and probably is part of the reason behind some of the questioniarres(sp?) and things VDGIF hads been sending out but as it is right now many still huntersdon't like dog season because of theinterference, aggravation but often no laws are actuallybeing broke.

From VDGIF:

Hunting With Dogs
[ul][*]Dogs may be used to pursue wild birds and animals during hunting seasons where not prohibited.[*]When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or archery tackle on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. [/ul]
The problem with the way this law is written is that it essentially gives me permission to walk through your neighborhood, into your back yard, across your deck, look around under your deck, tramp through your rose garden, look under your boat cover, all around your carport or open garage and go anywhere else on your property with the exception of opening doors - provided that I identify myself and claim that I'm looking for my hunting dogs. Just because my property is wooded and posted it is no different (according to the way this law is written and interpreted) than the property upon which your primary dwelling sits.

Of course, most folks wouldn't dream of doing the things described above without first knocking on the door. And that is the gist of the problem. Most everyone would ask permission before entering someone's back yard, but if it's woods, it is somehow different.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The law posted is a game law I believe it was probably written with the fact that often times landowners are unknown/unavailable or timber companies own the land and such.Like I said I don't think the laws are perfectI was just stating thatimperfect as some are they are still law. And I agree in a residential area or home dwelling most wouldknock on the door and ask permission, but often times when hunting there are just blocks of land and there is no door to knock on. I am not even sure how/if this law would be applied outside of a hunting area(i.e. neighborhood/home) or if any other law would supercede it.

Quick Reply: Running Dogs In VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.