Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma

Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Oklahoma

My brother went out on our place this morning and saw nothing. I stayed at home. I am hoping that our food plots willyield some favorable results this December. We are thinking of hunting Thursday and Friday morning, though.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:39 AM

We have been seeing more bucks this year than ever before on our lease, both on camera and in person. We have only seen 3 real shooters during hunting hours but have a ton of younger bucks up to 2.5 years old. We are seeing less does, dunno if that is a result of the harsh winter or our management strategy (we like whackin does), our herd looks to have a good ratio.

We have alot of younger bucks that will be good deer in the years to come. We do have some deer going to the neighbors wheat and the does that always come to my feeder are hitting the small food plot near the feeder. There has been alot of action at night recently. There are many tall weeds (5-6 feet tall) in the bottoms and right-of-ways that these deer are hiding in. I did make some trails in August with the brush hog and the deer are really using those trails. It has been a pretty good year on our lease as far as seeing deer goes.

I hope to get out this Sunday and maybe a few more times for bow. We are expecting our first child on January the 6th so my hunting days are limited. I cant wait to get our new baby girl in camo and out to the woods.

Kent - Out
Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Gotta say I disagree with all the "harsh winter" jibber jabber. I think these whitetail are tougher animals than we give credit. We are in Oklahoma for pete sake. Last I checked whitetail thrive in colder climates where the snowfall is a heck of a lot more than the couple of two inches of snow this state received last year. It is interested to read how the number of animals checked in are down though.

I gotta $200 non-res tag to burn. I'd rather not eat soup with it. Will sneak out in the a.m. if I can get myself out of bed. Good luck all.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Snow is one thing. But in the county I hunt they received 6 inches of ice. It didn't thaw for a very long time. I'm sure that made it very hard for them to find food.

Darrall
Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen deer almost every time I've been out. I'm in NW OK. I killed a huge buck in black powder season, but have had a hard time seeing anything big for rifle season. Plenty of does and gobs of spikes and fours and sixes. I know I have some big bucks. I have the pics and see the tracks, but they stay hid in the thick stuff in daylight. I finally killed a decent 9-point that weighed 150. He looked better than he was because of his smaller body size. Definitely some ground shrinkage, but a nice buck nevertheless.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 AM

kinda off the subject but i have an on going debate with a few buddies and need help.(please!) i hunt up near woodward and the deer therehave huge bodies compaired to where i usually hunt. i have always hunted eastern oklahoma and the average mature doe usually weighs in arange from 85-100lbs. the does we have killed this year in ne oklahoma weighed 112 and 119. the debate??? well my buddies say the reason for the big bodies is because we are closer to kansas and the gene pool changes??? i say its because of all the different types of food available. where i hunt there is milo,winter wheat,corn,canola and various other browse. what do you guys think????????? thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hornsandfins

kinda off the subject but i have an on going debate with a few buddies and need help.(please!) i hunt up near woodward and the deer therehave huge bodies compaired to where i usually hunt. i have always hunted eastern oklahoma and the average mature doe usually weighs in arange from 85-100lbs. the does we have killed this year in ne oklahoma weighed 112 and 119. the debate??? well my buddies say the reason for the big bodies is because we are closer to kansas and the gene pool changes??? i say its because of all the different types of food available. where i hunt there is milo,winter wheat,corn,canola and various other browse. what do you guys think????????? thanks
Combination of both, plus, there's a lot more huntable area and less hunters.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 PM

I am over here in the east southeast section of the state and the harvest numbers are down here too. I think it has a lot to do with the food and water being so abundant for the deer-- they just don't have to travel as far to get what they want. Also, the weather has played a big part-- being to hot during the day and nice at night. Truthfully I don't think the rut has fully kicked in over here in this area of the woods yet. Not enough cold weather yet. Normally I see deer running all the time in November during the rut-- but the last two years or so it has been later and later - more like December to January when it starts getting cold and staying cold before they start the rut we are use to.

just my two cents worth-- good luck to all.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is mine and my son's Alfalfa county bucks from Thanksgiving day.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

very nice bucks, congrats

Quick Reply: Oklahoma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.