HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/217825-va-hunters-bucks-still-rutting-hard.html)

bassfisherman711 11-15-2007 05:15 AM

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

I am on my way home in a couple days for thanksgiving break from college. I will be getting to put some quality hours in the woods. I was curious if you all are still seeing some intense rutting action!?

tourangeaud 11-15-2007 07:49 AM

RE: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

I took the last week off and hunted quite a bit. Lots of rubs and scrapes. But I haven't seen the big boys out chaseing as of yet. Not like they were last year at this time.

bassfisherman711 11-15-2007 08:31 AM

are you thinking the rut hasnt hit real hard yet...suggesting the big boys will be out within the next week or so??

coolbrze0 11-15-2007 09:52 AM

I'll 2nd what tourangeaudsaid. They've been moving around here in Northern & Central VA, but I haven't seen any breeding yet. I think anytime this week and next week will be excellent times to hunt, you can't go wrong. Pre-rut was weak IMO this year, it's usually my favorite time to hunt, and unless I missed the ball, I hunted every day last week, and didn't see what I was looking for in terms of action. I did see some bruisers, but not the quantity I had expected to see. Get out and hunt!!!

o2bebowhunting 11-15-2007 10:25 AM

i saw 7 bucks chasing 1 little doe last friday evening in the rain. all the bucks were small. nothing bigger than a 6 pt. this was in fairfax county.

tourangeaud 11-15-2007 12:12 PM

We have been seeing lots and lots of does, and nothing really following them. A couple of small bucks here and there, that really don't know what the hell is going on. I'm hoping and thinking the prime time rut has not hit as of yet. Last year at this time the big boys were chasing the does all over the place. This was out in Madison County and Green County. I'm thinking the rut is coming in later this year due to the warmer weather we have been experiencing. If I'm not mistaken is was a lot colder at this time last year.

virginiashadow 11-15-2007 12:33 PM

Saw some playful chasing going on late last week here in Northern VA...then it shutdown when it got hotter. I may be wrong but I predicted around the 20th that the bucks would be chasing hard...we will see. Tonight a cold front moves in and the action will HEAT UP for sure!

buckshot101 11-15-2007 06:42 PM

Still? It's just starting in Roanoke and Brunswick Co.

Iron Archer 11-15-2007 08:03 PM

So I guess we should all stay in our stands as long as possible for the gun opener on Saturday? I'll be hunting in a blind in the most southern middle part of VA in the morning.

rrviper40 11-16-2007 04:04 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one whohasn't been seeing any action in VA. I was starting to get really worried about our place... the most I have seen there is a 3pt who ran 3 does into the food plot but thenparted with them and fed on his own.

I did see 3 bucks in a line (8pt, then spike, then4pt)chasing 2 does in Westmoreland last week...musta been the first hot doe of the year in there.

I agree that things are running late this season. I saw plentyof chasing in ML last year. I was really wishing things would be a little hotter before the dogs are running 24/7 in my area [:@]