Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard? >

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Here are some photos fromMadison County VA, over Thanksgiving weekend. One of our member's son, Jacob and his 3 pointer. First deer with his new 243. The 2nd shot is A picture of my 8 pointer. The 3rd picture is from the Somerset Corner Store parking lot. The local hunter shot this brute while dragging his doe out of the woods at 9:30 am. Found this buck in the thickets while walking to the truckdragging his doe. Some guys have all the luck. Weare thankful for all these wonderful deer, goods friends, good family, good times and Mother Earth.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Lets try these pictures again.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/tourangeaud/DSC_0078.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/tourangeaud/DSC_0085.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/tourangeaud/DSC_0088.jpg
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Spike

Rut is still on. heard a buck grunting after does on friday. Shot a 4 x 2 on Saturday that was chasing does. Thought he was an 8 pointer. Rut is running later this year. Think heat and weather changes are making it start and stop.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

What county????????????
ORIGINAL: deerdoghunter

Rut is still on. heard a buck grunting after does on friday. Shot a 4 x 2 on Saturday that was chasing does. Thought he was an 8 pointer. Rut is running later this year. Think heat and weather changes are making it start and stop.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Ok so I just joined. I'm a member of another popular hunting forum but they don't have anyone near me on there. I'm on the edge of barboursville and the green county line. I've only been hunting since thanksgiving and all I seem to be doing is scaring them off. Every time I go out, about 30-45 minutes later I can hear gun shots going off all around me.

I make sure that I'm scent free and I'm in a groundblind. I'm hunting with a borrowed savage .308 on my private land, of which only about 2 acres are wooded and most of that is VERY thick brush, briar patches, and thin (6" or less) tall trees that the deer mainly use for a bedding area.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Spike

Last Friday was in caroline county, Saturday was in Chesterfield County, both had active signs of the rut.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Deerdoghunter,

Thanks for letting us know about the activity in your neck of the woods. Good luck the rest of the season.

Gary22923,

Good things come to those who wait. You need to continue spending time in the woods. Scouting the area for deer signs and trails will give you a better idea of where to set up. Don't try to set up within the bedding areas. All you will do is flush out the deer in that area. Get in the woods early and set up near thetrails going to and frombedding and feeding areas.Look for funnels and pinch points for good set upareas. You may want to consider tree stands. Get up off the ground and you will see so much more.Best of luck during the rest of the season. Let us know how you do.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

tourangeaud, where are you hunting in madison? what's your name? I was born and raised in Madison and still hunt there. Right now I'm in school at Va Tech. The rut activity we've seen on the land we lease has been pitiful this year. The last week of bow season and opening day of ML was good, that's it.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

it's cool how we can find neighbors we never knew we had on here
Old 11-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

does anyone knows where the rut is in augusta county??

Quick Reply: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.