Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard? >

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Hammer06,

I don't live in Madison County.I only lease a smallpiece of ground right off rt 230 and rt 15. I live in Bristow, a fancy name for Gainesville. The rut activity this year forMadison County, is nowhere like it was this time last year. Alot less activity this year, compared to last year. We have 4 members in our club, and we are always looking for additonal land to lease or to hunt. Please contact us if your aware of anyavailable land.

Dean
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

We lease 230 acres near the landfill and hunt other lands in near Wolftown and Uno. Last year on the opening week of muzzleloader we were fortunate enough to get 6 decent bucks. The rut was phenomenal. This year has been disappointing. There's as many as 5 or 6 of us at some times, but usually only my father and myself.

As far as leases, I wish I knew of land for lease. We would try to lease it ourselves. I'll keep you in mind if a large tract becomes available and we need more funding.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

i also hunt a lot in madison co--right off rt29 next to a vineyard. we have 200 acres and are having a hard time w/ tresspassers this year. they ran their atv's all over the place before the season and now they crossover the property lines and hunt our property. they even stole a new climber from us(mine) over the weekend. this could get ugly.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

I saw bucks cruising for does last weekend. I think with the drought, the rut may have started a little late.

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

i also hunt a lot in madison co--right off rt29 next to a vineyard. we have 200 acres and are having a hard time w/ tresspassers this year. they ran their atv's all over the place before the season and now they crossover the property lines and hunt our property. they even stole a new climber from us(mine) over the weekend. this could get ugly.

We had some guys doing the same thing with the hunting on our property and the ATV's. However, when we confronted them about ittheysaid "what are you talking about? We've never done that before in our lives" Then we showed them the game cam I set up with three of their faces up close and personal. Then they started back tracking and said " oh we were lost that time"even though there are posted signs everywhere on our property and the ATV tracks were everywhere as far back as August. We haven't had a problem since then but I imagine that's only because they don't know where our game cameras areand the fact that we told them next timewe catch themthe local Sheriff will be there ready to take action. I hate to say it, but our game cameras have a two-fold purposethese days.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Back to the rut....

Hunted in Caroline County today. Saw nothing this morning and moved to a different spot for the afternoon. Had a doe and her yearling go by in a hurry, then two spikes on her trail 20 seconds later..then...nice 6 pt nose to the ground on her trail about 20 minutes later. I was bow hunting and they all passed me at 45 yards. Also, had my stand placed smack in the middle of two fresh scrapes 30 yards to left and right of me. Didn't know they were there when I was setting up, saw them once I was up in the tree.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Madison County update,

Hunted Saturday morning and evening. 3 doe's and a spike taken. The deer were moving throughout the day. While searching for the spike a fellow hunter and myself were just about run over by a herd of deer at 1:00 pm. Sounded like bulls in a china closest, running thru the woods. It made for an eventful day in the woods, even if I was the only hunter not to bag a deer. There is always tomorrow. Wait a minute, I live in VA, No Sunday hunting,I'll have to wait till Monday. Damm [:@]
Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

i got 2 does before 7:30 am on saturday. deer were running all over the place. this was in madison co. we stopped hunting by 9am to go repost our boundries. the tresspassers were not hunting saturday. to be continued.....
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I had 3 bucks under me at 7am on Saturday morning. I did not see a doe all morning, but 2 of the bucks got into a pretty good fight. I shot the 3rd buck, an 8 pointer, after the other two fought their way out from under me. He was a 165lb deer and is at the butcher now. This was in Fairfax county on some private land. The fight, at very least, tells me there is still some testosterone going on.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gary22923

Ok so I just joined. I'm a member of another popular hunting forum but they don't have anyone near me on there. I'm on the edge of barboursville and the green county line. I've only been hunting since thanksgiving and all I seem to be doing is scaring them off. Every time I go out, about 30-45 minutes later I can hear gun shots going off all around me.

I make sure that I'm scent free and I'm in a groundblind. I'm hunting with a borrowed savage .308 on my private land, of which only about 2 acres are wooded and most of that is VERY thick brush, briar patches, and thin (6" or less) tall trees that the deer mainly use for a bedding area.

Any suggestions?
You stated your own problem. You're hunting the bedding area and if it's only 2 acres, that'sa BIG no-no. You need to be between where they bed and feed a.m. and p.m. Too close to the bedding areas and you spook them out.