Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard? >

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

It was the first time in a while that bucks were still rutting hard during opening day of dog season. The dogs would run a doe and then later a buck would be on the trail of both of them. It happened twice on Sat.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Some rutting is still on. I took a nice six-point that was trailing a non-receptive small doe at 4:15 yesterday afternoon. They were the only two deer I saw all day.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Yesterday(18th) was the most aggressive day of the rut I have ever witnessed. Didn't arrow anything but the quantity of bucks chasing does was unbelievable...I saw at least 8 different bucks, 1-2 shooters. I grunted in a nice buck to 30 yards but he wouldn't come out of the cover before dark.
I'll 2nd that for yesterday as well. Today should be good, I'll be in the woods from noon till dark!
What a BUST!!! It was as if the lightswitch was turned off. 5 1/2 hrs. and not 1 deer! Could be the temps were a little high or a combo of that and the ruts slowing down. Who knows, but I'll be back at it tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

No more rut, it's all over!! All of the bucks have gone nocturnal and many have fled the country all together. Put your camo and hunting stuff away for the year and just get back to watching college footbal, especially if you are hunting near Accomac or Dinwiddie.

That will leave them all for me.........

maa haa haa haa...maa haa haa haa!!

(That is suppossed to be an evil laugh.)
Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I saw 14 deer yesterday (11/21) and 3 of them were nice bucks actively chasing does. I ended up taking a nice 7 pt. The activity was steady all morning up until 11 AM (when I shot my buck) despite the temps being almost 80 degrees.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted Thanksgiving morning in Madison County. Lots of doe activity but I didn't see a single buck. Hot temps and lots of wind didn't make for a good day of hunting. Seeing deer was a definate benefit. Cooler temps areexpected for Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, this tempchange will make the deer more active.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My youngest brother took his 1st deer, an 8 point that he watched breed and dog a doe for 30-40 min. Thanksgiving a.m. Pic and story are on here!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 AM

i think it has FINALLY arrived in central va... but i must say the pre-rut was asweak as i've seen it this year. fri inamelia couty i had at least 2 different bucks chasing does and grunting all the way on an afternoon sit. then saturday morning in cumberland i had a buck pushing 5 does by me 3 different times and saw the biggest deer of my life before i had even hoisted up my gun! makes me sick to think about it...
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted Madison County Thursday - Saturday. Seen lots of deer and still the bucks are still trailing the does. Seen a monster buck that was to far away for a shot. He wouldn't respond to grunts or the can. However, a nice 8 pointer came in close enough, in response to my calls. Standing broadside to me, I placed the crosshairs just behind the shoulder blade. Pulled the trigger,saw the bright muzzle blast. But the deer was just standing still, continueing to look right at me. I was just waiting for him to drop. He didn't drop, so I chambered another shell and let it fly at the same spot. The deer was still staring me down. He didn't budge or even blink, after the 2nd shot from my 30-06. I chambered a 3rd shot, squeezed the trigger at the target, and finally seen the deer jump and take of running, before crashing 30 yards away.I checked the gun the next afternoon and it is dead on at 100 yards. This deer was standing only 50+ yards away when the shooting gallery was opened.I must have shot over top of him on the first 2 shots. However, the 3rd shot was right on themoney.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry all if I didn't come back on here and post, I am usually over in the bowhunting forum. I primarily hunt Prince William County but the county in which I saw all the deer was Loudoun COunty, near Upperville. I will be back at it on the 26th in the afternoon, hopefully some of the big boys will begin to move a little again. Coolbrze0, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it a bunch. Talk to you soon.

shadow

Quick Reply: VA Hunters, bucks still rutting hard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.