Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va. >

Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va.

What's the action look like up in these counties? My folks tell me bears are everywhere and the deer are plentiful. Say it is so. My father tells me that he hasn't seen a rabbit since he can remember. He says that the foxes have decimated them. I'd get into varmit hunting but I wouldn't know what to do with them if I shot'em so I leave them alone. I'm headed home on the 18th and looking forward to the hunt.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va.

Passafist,

If you ever want to learn to hunt them fox let me know. I got into predator hunting a few years back. I spend a lot of time chasing predators. After deer season seems to be the best time to get after them.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in culpeper on the Rapidan...the hunting is always good up in those counties. We have seen a increase in bears, and theres rabbits everywhere.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Beagleman,
I'l keep you in mind if I ever decide to hunt them. Unfortunately, I now live in the Gunshine State and I intend to go home and deer hunt EVERY general gun season. If I ever decided to varmit hunt when I visit in the off season, I'll be sure to get with you.

JoeyG,
Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping to harvest a deer or two or three and I'd like to harvest a few rabbits as well. If I get a shot at a bear, you can best believe that I'm going to take it. I'm going to have fun allalong the Hazel river and around where the Hazel and Rappahannock river meet. I've also gained access to some land in Madison and Orange. My family has property in Fairfax County off of 28 down by the Bull Run bridge. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm told that its built up all around it. That's fine by me because I'm sure every deer around there is on our spread and me and my bow can have a fine time. My high school sweetheart's folks have land in Fauquier County and they have ALWAYS offered me the opportunity to hunt on it and I think this year I'm going to take them up on their offer.

I'm not sure of the limits but I believe it's 3 deer per license. I don't want to appear greedy but I'd like to put a good supply of venison and rabbit in my freezer. I'm coming home with pistols, rifles, shotgun and bow in tow. I intend to get my hunt on in the worst way!!! I have a cooler that's 48" long, 18" wide and 24" deep and I want it well stocked when I head back down I-95.

I hate to admit it but deer in central and south Florida look like doberman's with sticks tied to their heads. I'm coming home where I KNOW there are real deer!

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, you can shoot 6 deer in Virginia now. Then you can buy up to 4 more doe tags.
Also if you use shotgun, you can now take the plug out for anything besides migratory birds.
If you head back down 95 with a not so full cooler, if I have any luck I may be able to help you out. I live right off 95.
Last year I was able to share, I ended up harvesting 9 deer.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 AM

Everytime I roll up RT.3 through the Chancellor Battlefield area I ALWAYS see a few deer. My friends in Culpeper assure me that I will have no problem harvesting a few deer. 6 DEER!!! Did I read that right? 6 DEER!!! Are there that many deer in the area? With people harvesting that many deer decimation should be right around the corner. Not to mention the opportunity for a trophy should be slim to none. Then again, as my dad stated "There just aren't as many folks hunting as there used to be." WOW, 6 DEER! AND 4 more doe tags. If I susbsidize my meat budget with deer, rabbit, turkey and hogs, I might be able to save for a plot of hunt property in elk country some day. I really appreciate that offer to share your harvest.

Tell me what you can about bear meat. (Dad says the opportunity will be there as well.)

"There's no place like home...there's no place like home...there's no place like..."
Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

passafist,
i live right up from your property in fairfax off of rt 28 and new braddock road. there hasn't been much development right before the prince county line at the bridge but its getting close. there are plenty of deer around there too because of the new houses around the power lines, issac walton league,and the water treatment plant. i have been bow hunting in clifton and have seen deer every time i have been (not necessary in range) but they are there. you also might want to get a marine 150 qt cooler. i can get between 3-5 deer quartered(depending on size) it one cooler. its a little tough to pick up but thats what you have hunting buddies for! good luck and whack'em and stack'em!!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, if you take a right at the battlefield(Elys Ford Rd) and then cross the Rapidan I hunt around there.Theres one field on Rt.3 that has 30-50 deer every afternoon. Its on the left before you get to the battle field. Wish I could hunt that lol. Sadly our hunt club up there is only for firearms season. I hunt around Hanover during bow/muzzleloader.
I know nothing about bear meat. My uncle shot one a few years back and says it is the best meat he has ever had. If I see a bear without cubs I im gonna take it.
Im not doing so good this year. I was only hunting does and mature bucks during bow, and saw only small bucks and could never get a shot at any does.
Sat. was windy in the morning and didnt see a thing, then I shot a turkey in the afternoon. This Fri and Sat hopefully a can get a doe or 2 under my belt before I head up to Michigan for 2 weeks.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's PLENTY of rabbits in the Old Dominion, especially the counties you mentioned. We're heading back out to a farm in Faquier in an hr. or so then MZ hunting in Prince William Co. this afternoon, just like Sat. Our dogs ran rabbits all over the place and we saw 30 deer between 3 of us 2 HUGE bucks, 1 record book no doubt.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM

All EXCELLENT information.

We used to have property over in Nokesville but the family member who owned it sold it. (greed won him over) I hope that my Dad and I are able to get some rabbit hunting in when I go home. I don't want to appear too greedy, but my intention is to fill my freezer. And if I get a shot at a bear...I'm taking it as well.

I just picked up a Marlin Model 60 for $50.00 off a guy here at workwho inherited a few guns.He's not into guns or hunting and told me I can buy them off of him for $50.00 a piece. I bought the Marlin sight unseen (I figure for $50.00 I can't go wrong) and it had a misfired round stuck in the chamber and as much dirt inside as a country road. I took it home and spent two hours cleaning it and went to the range and found out I have an open sight tack driver at 50 yards. (2 of the three bullet holes were touching and the third was less than a 1/4 inch from the other two) I'm going to go to Wally World an buy a cheap $15.00 scope and slap on it, just for fun and christen it "RABBIT KILLA!"

I appreciate all the information and reports you guys are feeding me, but unfortunately you guys are costing me sleep. I kick the covers every night in anticpation of coming home and shooting everything in the woods.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, Madison, Va.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.