HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   First ever bow shot at a deer results in terrible miss!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/215629-first-ever-bow-shot-deer-results-terrible-miss.html)

floridabucks 11-02-2007 07:37 PM

First ever bow shot at a deer results in terrible miss!!

What a great day in the woods! I was drawn back on a doe but it did not present a shot. Almost as soon as I let down on the doe, a spike buck comes trotting in from the other direction. I hold draw for at least two minutes with the little buck (you gotta take what you can get in Florida) directly under my stand. Finally he steps back to about 10 yards away and I let my arrow fly.The arrow missed by a solid three feet.

How does this happen from so close? Well, when I let down on my bow the arrow almost always gets bumped off kilter on the rest. Its a Bowtech Hostage so the arrow doesn't actually fall out of the rest, just off the brushes. So I figure when I let down on the doe that I never reset the arrow in the heat of the moment. I'll be aware of that next time.[8D]

I also saw a total of 5 deer for the day. Never in my life have I seen that many deer in a day on a Florida WMA. Overall, I had a blast, but I am kicking myself in the butt for not resetting my arrow.

Beezer 11-02-2007 08:09 PM

RE: First ever bow shot at a deer results in terrible miss!!

Could have been the difference in height. My first shot at any deer period was from my ladder stand at a spike buck about 12yds away. After inching and hiding to finally get a clear broadside shot at him I put the pin halfway down right behind his shoulder. I forgot to adjust and bend at the waist, instead I sighted him by dropping my arms. I spined my first and only deer. I've had other shots with the shotgun since, butI want an absolute clear shot that I know will not make another suffer.

floridabucks 11-03-2007 09:06 AM

That's a good thought Beezer, but my shot was actually off 3 feet to the left. I have practiced a lot even from elevated positions and am confident in my shot... I just have to remember the details.

buck-i 11-03-2007 01:57 PM

maybe the anchor point, tired from holding draw,or tried to watch the arrow after releaseand jerked the shot or crap just happens.i missed once this year to the front my peep didn't line up on draw so i looked for the peep and released about 8-10 yards by the tree clean miss to the front of her.how doi miss that close.it happens

Chuck7 11-03-2007 05:10 PM

Sorry to hear that..Can you tell us what WMA you were hunting in..or is that a seceret;)

floridabucks 11-03-2007 09:38 PM

Definitely a secret for now... we'll have to see how it plays out.

Eastern va 11-04-2007 09:26 AM

i missed my first shot at a deer also. It was 13 yard shot on a doe. Shot right overher back. thankfully it was a clean miss. Happens to everyone!