Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Highland County, Virginia >

Highland County, Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Highland County, Virginia

Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old post but we hunted Highland Co. VA for the 1st time last fall, 6 - 7 Nov. I believe. Saw a lot of deer but didn't see any rutting activity. Thinking of going back down again this year. When is the rut normally rocking & rolling there?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Coolbrze0,
Here in Lovettsville rut comes as a result of cold weather. And, as such non existent! All the deer around my farm are just cooling out. Not even thinking of getting any action. At this rate, I expect rut to be in late November. Especially since the weather guessers are calling for a warm winter.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DROX
Coolbrze0,
Here in Lovettsville rut comes as a result of cold weather. And, as such non existent! All the deer around my farm are just cooling out. Not even thinking of getting any action. At this rate, I expect rut to be in late November. Especially since the weather guessers are calling for a warm winter.
I hear that. I hunt near you in Loudoun, PW, Fairfax, Fauquier, Culpeper, & Rappahannock Counties mostly. Highland is out of my normal area but we've got a farm there that we have permission to hunt. Just wondering what the rut may be like there compared to here. Hopefully it'll be cooling down soon, I can't stand deer / bear hunting when it's over 50 degrees...
Old 10-29-2017, 04:34 PM
Spike

Hey coolbrze0, my friends and I will be going down to Highland this week. Coming from NOVA. We will be up on one of the WMA tracts. Any tips for the area?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by duke_silver
Hey coolbrze0, my friends and I will be going down to Highland this week. Coming from NOVA. We will be up on one of the WMA tracts. Any tips for the area?
Hey Duke - sorry for the late reply, don't get on very often - how'd y'all make out? I haven't been down this year, but talked to a friend that hunts in Highland & he said their rut was normal in early-mid Nov. this year. We are supposed to be going down for late MZ (I think?) in a few weeks...
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

I killed a 5 point in Rockingham Co. that was still chasing does Nov. 22nd. They started early this year it was colder/wetter this year compaired to last year.