Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Okies - Check In! >

Okies - Check In!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Okies - Check In!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Okies - Check In!

Hey fellas! I'm stationed here at Tinker AFB in OKC. I've been hunting here for about 6 years now, but only ducks and hogs. I'm going to give deer gun season a shot this year. I have a Remington 700 BDL .30-06 I bought earlier this year for the hogs. It's killed quite a few hogs and I figured I'd try it out on a deer this year. A friend of mine went out a week or two ago on his very first deer hunt with a $50 muzzle loader. In the first 10 minutes, he shot a big 10 point buck. Some people have all the luck! I'm a little confused on the deer tag I need. I see that they sell antlered tags and antlerless tags. Do you guys usually just buy one of each? If I shoot a buck and want to go again later, I need to buy another tag right? Sometimes the regs can be kind of confusing. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. What kind of ammo do you guys use? For hogs, I shoot 180 grain Core-Lokt's and that drops them dead every single time. But I shoot them in the head. Should I use a different ammo? Something that expands better? Do any of you ever hunt down at Love Valley WMA in southern Oklahoma? How about a place that processes deer in the OKC area? How much would it cost to have a deer processed? Thanks for any info!
Matt
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Hey KC10Chief, you are correct on the tags. Unless you have a lifetime license you will either have to buy all your deer tags or buy them as you need them.

Are you going down to Love Valley for gun season?? I got drawn for a gun hunt this sunday at Ft. Sill, I didnt realize they start thier season before the rest of the state but thier gun hunts are only on the weekends. Im going to head down to Altus-Lugert on the 17th, you are more than welcome to head down with me and a buddy if you want. I live about 3 miles from Tinker. Theres not a ton of deer on the section we hunt at Altus-Lugert, but so far we have been the only people to hunt the area, thats why we always go back. Last year I ran into a real monster of a buck out there during archery season, hopefully I will see him again. Oh Altus Lugert is Slug only, and I believe its antlered only as well.

I would think that 180 grain would be overkill, but I doubt you would have to do any tracking. You would be fine with 150 grain

Have you been shooting all those hogs at Love Valley, me and a buddy went down there during june or so....it was a fricking jungle. We didnt see anything down there, but I hear there are a ton of them out there.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

BUCK-i

Hey, I dont remember if I sent you a message the other day.
The stand worked great, thanks again for letting me try it out. I hunted friday at 84th and rockcreek, I had a spike come in brouse the fallen leaves and then he walked back up the way he came and walked off to my right down the dirt path. When I got there that morning I didnt realize that dirt path was there so I tromped through teh trees down about 80-100 yards from the parking area. In the afternoon i hunted off to the left side of the dirt path where the deer have been crossing. I didnt see anything till I got back to my truck, there was a doe or a small buck about 15 yards next to my truck....that figures. Im definately going to have to spend some more time out there. It only takes me 25 minutes to get there from my house which is great. This sunday I got drawn for a gun hunt at Ft. Sill so hopefully I will see a good buck or two. I hear there are some monsters out there. Im not exactly sure how it all works, but I believe that I can take guests out there to hunt deer as long as it archey. Id like to get you out there and get you a monster, payback for letting me borrow your stand. Ill have to get some info from them on sunday when I go down there.

How did your brother do over in the other location?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

dav; my brother seen two bucks, one he said was pretty tall but not wide ,the other was quite a bit smaller both about sixty yards away..i might hunt somewhere out there saturday morning. you ought to come out.
we went to another place wednesday he seen one buck and two does no shots, i saw just the tail end walk through some thicker stuff.
hope your feeling safe in the stand once you learn all the tricks it is real easy to hunt from.it dont take long.you didnt get any shots yet.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

First thing I did was climb the trees in my back yard. It was a bit scary the first time I went up a tree, I just had to build trust in the stand. I love the stand, Maybe with some money from tax season I will buy one. I would love to go out on saturday, but I need to spend some time with the wife. She has been home with our newborn and she is really pent up and needs to get out and do something or she is going to drive me nuts.

Saturday Ill be with the wife, sunday I have a gun hunt at Ft. Sill. Monday I am off if your up to go out there or get together about the elk hunt in december. The 17th Im headed to Altus-Lugert for gun season opener. I definatley want to spend somemore time out at Thunderbird, I have the gun hunts but they wont be as satisfying as taking my first deer with my bow.

Let me know when you have some free time.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

spend alot of time with the family they always come first,she'll appriciate you taking time away from hunting to spend with her.
i'm free on weekends and some fridays after 4 not much timethis friday so i took the two younger boys out four wheelin in the jeep.
plenty of time to get with you to show you other spots..
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: davs2601

Hey KC10Chief, you are correct on the tags. Unless you have a lifetime license you will either have to buy all your deer tags or buy them as you need them.

Are you going down to Love Valley for gun season?? I got drawn for a gun hunt this sunday at Ft. Sill, I didnt realize they start thier season before the rest of the state but thier gun hunts are only on the weekends. Im going to head down to Altus-Lugert on the 17th, you are more than welcome to head down with me and a buddy if you want. I live about 3 miles from Tinker. Theres not a ton of deer on the section we hunt at Altus-Lugert, but so far we have been the only people to hunt the area, thats why we always go back. Last year I ran into a real monster of a buck out there during archery season, hopefully I will see him again. Oh Altus Lugert is Slug only, and I believe its antlered only as well.

I would think that 180 grain would be overkill, but I doubt you would have to do any tracking. You would be fine with 150 grain

Have you been shooting all those hogs at Love Valley, me and a buddy went down there during june or so....it was a fricking jungle. We didnt see anything down there, but I hear there are a ton of them out there.
Thanks for the offer! I doubt I'll be able to make it due to work and all. But thanks anyways. Thanks for the info too. I still need to get down to Ft. Sill and take their class they require for hunting there.

I have shot most of my hogs at Love Valley. I love that place. It's so nice out there. It can get REALLY thick in some places though. Back in April, a couple of friends went down there to hog hunt. They got into the woods, got turned around and spent the night out there in the pouring rain. They were on a little peninsula that turned into an island due to the rain. A search and rescue helicopter found them the next day. Anyways, there are a lot of hogs out there. I've seen them in packs of 75 or more a couple of times. But the Wildlife Department went through there earlier this year with a helicopter and a machine gun and cleaned a lot of them out. What a shame.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I actually carry a compass now because of Love Valley, we got turned around out there as well. Luckily once we got out of the woods we figured it out fairly quickly. I couldnt imagine spending the night out there in the rain.

You definately need to get you Ft. Sill class out of the way, I went down yesterday for a gun hunt. I shot a doe at 8 am, I should have waited to see how the rest of the day turned out, but I have gotten skunked for the past two years. They told me that on saturday a guy shot a 22 point buck out there. I forgot to go into the office and take a look at the pictures. They said its up there with one of the largest taken out there, it should be in the cannoneer (ft. sill paper) here in a few weeks. you can pull it up online. Anyway fort sill is crawling with deer, between 8am and 10am I could have shot 5 deer with my bow. Two of them I thought were gonna run me over, it was a little fork horn chasing around a doe. Once they got within 10 yards I got nervious, i was actually gutting the doe I shot when they ran up on me. I had a great time out there and wish I had more time to go back down there.
heres the number to sportsmans services 580-442-3453, they are open 24 hrs and you can find out when thier next class will be.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the info! But you say Ft. Sill is slug only for gun season? Anyways, congrats on the doe!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Altus-Lugert is slug only, Ft. Sill you can use rifle in the majority of the areas

Quick Reply: Okies - Check In!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.