Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA >

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Heck, the dogs can read and have better bloodlines than their owners....

Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Spike

When I was stationed at Camp Lejune I hunted the local areas and took note ofa rather portly man waddling about climbing up on top of the dog pen.He had a ratherwell set up boat captains chair and the man mounted the shotgun on his right side in a slot. To his left was his ol trusty beer can to drink away the time of the day. In the distance the howls and bays of the dogs pushing the deer to the great hunter. I saw the man shoot towards the running deer as it crossed the road. A memory that I will never forget.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Hello,i'm in va and like to bow,xbow,b.p ,still and dog hunt. Remember just like some of you are waiting for the end of dog hunting because it's not for you there are people who want to end your style because they don't like it ---divide and conquer.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't want to see a complete end to dog hunting. I would just like the dog runners to be a little more mindful of properties/boundries/other hunters/etc...

True story guys, true story...
* 2005 Bow season, early/mid October
* Bonbrook Lake area of Cumberland State Forest
* Just a little bit after sunrise

I'm in my treestand, minding my own business, hopefully trying to find that nice basket 8 pointer that's been spotted running around Bonbrook Lake area of the State Forest. Everything is cool... No problems...

Then all of the sudden I start hearing the bellowing of hounds in the distance. They get closer and closer, until I start seeing the hounds running around, and a few more coming up the trail. Then I see a guy walking up the trail and I holler to him to let him know I was there. I assume he knew I knew exactly what season it was and what the rules/regs are. He hollered back something like, "Sorry... I'm just letting them run and getting them ready, that's all... I'll get out of your way..."

I didn't say anything more or climb down and have a few heated words with him (never know... the guy could be packing - who knows...) So, I just waited until the dogs were gone, and he was gone, andthe deer were run off into the next zipcode. Then I lowered my bow and my pack, climbed down, and packed up and blew out of there, so disgusted that, that was it... NEVER AGAIN. Even though I live like 45 minutes from a WMA or 1 hour from Cumberland State Forest, I totally refuse to hunt there anymore. [:@] Honest, I have NEVER been successful, because of the deer dogs. I have had to alter my hunting plans and try to out-manuever the deer dogs and dog runners, so that I might stand a better chance as a still hunter. But it never quite worked out that way.

So..... long story short.... I just gave in and went way out to where there are no deer dogs. My hunting passiongot "saved" I guess you could say, by a guy who has been on HNI and has read a bunch of my posts, and how I was so frustrated, I was ready to quit. He talked to some of the guys at camp, talked to the land owner, and one thing led to another, and I joined a deer camp way out in the GWNF, where it's more peaceful, more quiet, and there are NO DEER DOGS.

I mean no harm to dog runners, and think that in a way, it's pretty cool to have a shotgun and stir up the thick woods with dogs, but #*#$&@&! guys... come on... if its bow season, you shouldn't be out "practicing" with your deer dogs!!!! That just blew my mind during that Cumberland State Forest bowhunt. That was the last straw, you know what I mean? [:@]

I'm sorry for going off, guys. I mean, it's cool... it's cool... I don't want to see an end to dog hunting. It's a long standing tradition for centuries. You all can run dogs and have a great time. Meanwhile, I'll go over the other side of the Blue Ridge and hunt. There's plenty of room for all of us, you know? We all still need to stick together and be mindful of each other's hunting style, so we cankeep hunting alive and well in Virginia.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redhawks

Hello,i'm in va and like to bow,xbow,b.p ,still and dog hunt. Remember just like some of you are waiting for the end of dog hunting because it's not for you there are people who want to end your style because they don't like it ---divide and conquer.
So true, most people don't realize this. Once running dogs is banned, next isfirearm hunting, then hunting period.Hunters will regret their actions in the future(or our children will) ifthey stand against it. Divide and conquer is one of the oldest military techniques and an effective one too.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't gonna happen. I don't run dogs here in Northern VA but when we hunt SE VA that's all the hunt clubs do. If you aren't doing it, you WON'T be shooting any deer during firearms season!!! I don't have a problem w/ it, the dogs don't know the boundaries...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Hey Steve,

Don't take this the wrong way, but,..., why don't they run dogs fordeerin Northern Va? Could it be because that's where all the rich folks live? lol. I'd like to see the roads of Northern VA. lined up with 20-30 country boys, guns leveled, pointed right at some rich womans Mercedes Benz!! I'm sure that leather seat would turn brown for sure then. EverySaturday they shoot across the roads in Essex county, but no one ever does anything about it.If dog hunting is lost, it will be because of the idiots who hunt too close, or in the roads. Anyway,...

It seems all the good deer hunting is in the Louden county, or Northern Va. area for a reason. VDGIF protects the people with money because when they complain, the govener listens!! Could you imagine a pack of starving deer hounds running with all those pretty little fox-huntin puppies??

Most bucks in southern Va have lousy racks and are hard to hunt because of the constant harassment from bad dog owners. I hope they do something to preserve dog/hunting but still allow everyone else to live in peace. Those damn dogs run 12 months a year, 24 hours a day.

Guess I'll stick to rabbit hunting. At least my dogs give that poor ole rabbit a break once in a while. lol.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Tough conversation, so where do I begin? First and foremost I’m a hunter regardless of what means I decide to harvest. I sit on both sides of the spectrum, I hunt with hounds and I still hunt as well.

Now to the issue at hand, many comments have been made in regards to dogs being able to read boundary lines funny to say the least. I hunt in King George and most of the clubs lease several acres of land to utilize their methods of running hounds. In saying this many have taking the appropriate actions to speak with land owners of surrounding properties they do not have access to, but are allowed to retrieve the dogs after which protocol has been initially established.

It’s no secret that the dogs run the deer hard, in most cases they end up in another county etc. which is the purpose for tracking collars. I’ve also watched deer run circles around hounds or shall I say out wit them as well. There’s been numerous occasions where I’ve seen a deer being chased past by several hunters and the dogs still tracking 5-10 minutes behind, seen deer shot and the dogs have no idea but their still on that trail or soon pick up on another back tracking etc.

And yes I can see where it can make a still hunter very frustrated, been there done that! However thousands of deer are harvested over years in these counties where hound hunting is permitted. Last year alone the club I hunted with harvested 78 during general firearms season. I’ve hunted in Charles City the previous years with Tater Run it was uncommon to harvest less than 8 daily, even out in Hope Well where the club harvested 14 a day nearly throughout the season. So hound hunting is sufficient if done properly without disturbing other property owners.

As too Northern Va, there’s no pressure upon the herds, which is why in my county of Prince William it has been either sex full season for the past 5-6 years, however one must find a place to hunt first. Fairfax County has Urban archery do to no pressure and the herd needs to be controlled, and yes people have complained of the deer population which is why it initially started this program a few years back. In either case there’s good and bad, but we as hunters need to be on one accord!! Decrease hound hunting, herds will grow tremendously in those counties, and then the Authorities will allow sharp shooters to control the herd, at least in Fairfax with urban archery they are giving the hunter a fair chance to assist and most are in development areas of people’s homes.

I can go on forever here, so I’m done speaking on the issue at hand, and it’s really not a personal issue for me cause I hunt with bow, black powder, shotgun, and rifle.

What I like about hound hunting is the anticipation of hearing the hounds and trying to figure out where that deer may cross etc. so there’s no easy shots. Someone once spoke of fair chase and I have had many arguments with the anti’s, about bow hunting you sit and wait for an animal to walk in front of you then bang (many found that horrific) on the other spectrum some said try shooting them running (I smiled) so to us it’s the sport not how one harvest, to the anti’s it’s wrong either way we do! I’ll leave you with that thought. And I think Va is on the right track in addressing the issue, it has gotten out of hand in some areas.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

Last Comment...remove the hounds! revert back to man drives banging pots and pans to push the deer...LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 05:50 AM

Hey All,
Sorry to here about the future of Deer Dog Hunting in your State. We had this same problem a couple of years ago in Florida. The Stakeholders, Dogs Hunter Association, Private Landowners and the FFWCC worked together to save this style of hunting here. The deer dog registration program has help with the complaints. The program is a success so far. Maybe one of the stakeholder groups lobbing for you should look at this program and bring it up to your DNR. REMEMBER ALL THE LOSE OF ANY MANNER OF HUNTING IS A LOSS FOR ALL HUNTERS!! TODAY DEER DOG HUNTING, TOMORROW BOW HINTING ETC..

Quick Reply: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.