HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Hunting North Florida WMAs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/206182-hunting-north-florida-wmas.html)

FLOutlander 09-09-2007 12:37 PM

Hunting North Florida WMAs

Ok, please help me out with this.

Let's say that there is a new WMA opening up close by. You've NEVER hunted there before, and have not spoken to anyone who has. You get there and realize that from driving down the various dirt roads, you can only see maybe 10-15 yards into the woods...very thick stuff. You look at Topo maps of the area and it all looks the same...thick and green.

You park your ride and head off into the woods for a little scouting. You realize that there are quite a few oak trees...mostly Water Oaks and Laurel Oaks. The acorns are starting to drop as well. You notice quite a bit of hog signs...like rooting and mud wallows. No tracks can be found, since the forrest floor is covered in leaves. You see lots of trails, but those could be hog trails. No buck signs, but it's still kinda early for that. Season opens on the 22nd....where would you hang your stand?

This is my current situation. All of the signs I have found could easily be from hogs. Most of the rooting and mud holes are close to the roads...like within 20 yards. I walked as far as 100 yards. Saw plenty of nice places to hang a stand.....i.e. nice straight trees with lots of shooting lanes. But I'm not seeing anything in this area that says that deer are in the area. In areas like that, what else do you guys look for to help determine if you'll be hunting there?

Rebel Hog 09-09-2007 02:42 PM

RE: Hunting North Florida WMAs

I have to see good signs of Deer before I hang a stand in a certain area. When I find signs, I'll back off about 40 to 50 yds and set-up. I mean fresh signs, not old. I'm either going to hunt Deer or Hogs, not both at the same time.

FLOutlander 09-09-2007 06:26 PM

But how do you find deer signs when leaves are covering the ground, hiding all the tracks. And bucks aren't scraping yet.

Rebel Hog 09-09-2007 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Flatlander

But how do you find deer signs when leaves are covering the ground, hiding all the tracks. And bucks aren't scraping yet.
Deer don't make rubs on the ground, look on the saplings.......If you think it might be a scrape, get down andsee if it smells like Ammonia......Scout for fresh droppings.

When the pre-rut and rut starts, don't worry, there will be plenty of signs of Rubs, Scrapes and Funnels.

Sea Monkey 09-10-2007 06:03 PM

If nothing else, check out one of the mapping sites like Yahoo and look for funnels (like a fence or creek), or a big swampy area with dry ground in the middle that would make a good sanctuary. Try to fine a promising area that's far from any roads or trails. Once you pick out a general area, scout it and see if you can find any sign.