HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Deet and Deer/Hog Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/198787-deet-deer-hog-hunting.html)

guntercb 07-23-2007 06:23 AM

Deet and Deer/Hog Hunting

Hello,

I plan do some early season archery hunting this year in Central Florida. I know that the mosquitoes can be very bad and think I should put on some deet; however, I am worried that the deer/hogs will smell the deet. Does the smell of deet keep away the deer and hogs?

I plan to use a thermcell, but I can only start it once I am on my stand and the few times I have tried it the mosquitoes still kept coming. )-:

Any other tips on keeping bugs at bay?

Cheers,
Chris

rihmfire 07-23-2007 10:48 AM

RE: Deet and Deer/Hog Hunting

If you can smell it....They can smell it....and from far away..
Forget the bug spray and where baggy cloths and cover up..
If the skeeters are real bad..and you have to use it, get as high
as you can...
Where are you going to hunt in central florida...
I have a bow permit for tiger bay rima ridge unit...west of daytona
I also have a club north east of ocala....in Eureka Florida

guntercb 07-23-2007 01:33 PM

Rihmrife,

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I am going to try to keep covered up. I live in Land O Lakes and Green Swamp is one of the closes WMA to me so I will hunt it probuably the most.

Cheers,
Chris

timbercruiser 07-23-2007 03:04 PM

Get a Thermacell

bryant1 07-26-2007 01:21 PM

Change your pad in the thermacell-I won't make that mistake twice! Before the thermacell I used deet regularly, I don't think it really matters much if you get high enough in the tree, not 12-15 ft more like 20-25

rem250 07-26-2007 07:41 PM

Been using 100% deet for 15 years only thing that works in the swamps of ga.
I hunt public ground (WMA's)it's not worthpacking climbing stand
2mile deep sometimes.So most of my hunting is done on the ground sitting against trees havehad many a deerwalk past me within 15 yardsnever knew I was there. A good cover sent will mask the smell of the deet.

guntercb 07-27-2007 05:54 AM

Rem250,

Thanks for the update. What cover scent do you use? I too like to hunt from the ground. Some of the places I like to hunt I cannot really hang a stand anyway.

Cheers,
Chris

rem250 07-29-2007 10:04 AM

pm sent

gators1422 07-30-2007 01:52 PM

I use regular deep woods off, but I also get 18-24 feet high. Fighting scent in florida is almost a lost cause, since you usually start sweating like crazy going to your stand anyway.

rem250 08-03-2007 05:45 PM

guntercb
Try making your own with cheap vodka or deionized water.
This is what I do for each area,cause not allhunting places smell the same.Look around and smell each hunting area yougo to, find the smell.(examples pine, oak, holly, hickory, swamp, ect.) collecting these andadding to the vodka or water makesit smell. Make small batches in baby food jarsor small spray bottles.
Experment withcandy oils you can find them in drug storescinnimon, peppermint, butter scotch,anise oil = (black licorice) things that smell sweet these can make deer curious.When using these,one drop, is to much (dip small twig) in thebottle then dab2 -3 spotsontrees or limbs around you.
Hope this helps and good luck